HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Feb 22, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #6,826 of 11,883
Thanks for taking the time - all the details in your post about your impressions of the Arya's siblings are really helpful.

As a fellow Arya SE and Monarch MkII owner, I totally agree with this. Dollar for dollar it's been my best audio purchase. The tuning is just magical. There are djenty death metal tracks that still sound a tad harsh on my nearly $4k Arya SE + Bifrost 2 + Soloist 3XP desktop setup, but the MkII is just so smooth and musical with everything.

The Monarch is my favorite for metal. It's soo good and the bass is satisfying.

I appreciate your post and you taking the time to share it with us! This isn't the first time I've heard the Arya SE referred to as a baby HE1000 SE. It's interest to hear that you find the v2 presentation so different. I've heard that from others, but then I've also heard others who say it's a lot closer. Especially after ample usage, the SE open up even more and while I don't have comparison to any other Hifiman, I will say based off of my initial impressions to now having had some time, that is the case. They do feel even less claustrophobic and congested. I even hesitate saying they even sounded claustrophobic or congested before, because they really weren't at all, but relatively speaking to now, the presentation seems bigger.

I'm going off memory as its been 2-3 months since I've had the Arya v2, so I could only comment on what I remembered the most. My impressions of the v2 could be exaggerated, but I did have them for a year. I only have the HE1000v2 and the Arya SE with me right now.

Feb 22, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #6,827 of 11,883
Feb 22, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #6,828 of 11,883
I have Hart cables, and think they sound good and are versatile with there separate connections. I was wondering how the Ninja's compare .
Thank you for taking the time to reply though.

Hi folks! Any reccomendations for upgrade cables for Arya? Looking for mid-range ($100~$150) options.
Amplifier Surgery's silver plated copper cables seems to be a good pair with Arya. Any thoughts?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/778903520/audiophile-quality-hifiman-ananda?click_key=62177c23855f2a2d75f7017e7a4b0aad9ea619f6:778903520&click_sum=51a1d896&ref=hp_rv-2

https://www.etsy.com/listing/682123697/silver-plated-focal-clear-elear-elegia?click_key=8d492a84984cd6bcd6ee64b2bcf616440041871e:682123697&click_sum=a9a38e19&ref=hp_rv-1&frs=1

The only difference, according to them, is the thickness of silver.
Be sure to research silver cables before you dive in. They're more conductive than copper and from what I read that leads to more detail in the treble, if that's what you want. Can't go wrong with those cables, I'd go XLR of course for higher power output

Feb 22, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #6,829 of 11,883
Does the Arya Stealth really benefit from high power amps with 2W and more? It is supposed to be easier to drive and so far I like it very much with my idsd micro Signature. But I just ordered a Mojo 2 because it was a good deal and I like the idea of the EQ features of it. What am I missing with just 600mW of power @ 32 Ohms? I want to keep my chain simple but as good sounding as possible.
If you like it, I love it. It'd be hard to hear the Mojo 2 as being not powerful enough unless it's compared directly to a more powerful amp. Personally, I'd rather have too much power than to leave some of the Arya's performance on the table by having marginal or too little power.

Wanted to leave my thoughts here for anyone interested in upgrading from their Arya. THes Unfortunately, the Susvara was outside my budget... The notes below are all in sequential order of when I tried them.

Arya v2: Amazing soundstage and speaker-like presentation, but not without it's flaws. Treble had a noticeable peak and vocals were a little blurry in some respects. Wanted to see what the HE1000 series could offer, so I sold them.
* Source at the time was the iBasso DX312 dap with a Norne Silvergarde after-market headphone cable.

HE1000SE: My first major upgrade over the Arya and into the next price bracket of 2k+ headphones. First thought is "Wow these are detailed". Technicalities and resolution is through the roof. The sheer speed, force, and accuracy of the bass, without any fostex-like bloat, blew me away especially! After the honeymoon period though, I realized how bright the treble is and how the tuning of the midrange was off. Maybe it was too warm for me?... The treble peak is what killed it for me though. It was a higher frequency than the Arya v2 but more distracting to my ears. While the soundstage didn't feel as grand as the Arya v2, it was still a sufficient size. Eventually, I decided to sell them for the HE1Kv2.
* By this time, I reterminated my Silvergarde cable for ZMF headphones, and ordered a Norne Draug Copper for the Hifiman's

HE1000v2: I read a lot how the tuning on these are better, despite the less impressive technicalities (but still better over the Arya), and I would have to agree here. The treble is the smoothest here, but still very detailed - easily my most favorite approach to this frequency range. Soundstage is larger than the SE, and maybe even the Arya v2. The reason I say maybe is because the midrange is drier, less warm, but also closer, so it doesn't feel as deep to me. I did eventually find the mids a little too dry, but it depended a lot on the recording. The biggest killer though was the bass. As mentioned in reviews online, it's not bass light, but the dynamics are very lackluster. It's just so... soft. Even the Arya v2 was better here and for the price, I found it pretty disappointing.
* At this time, I upgraded my source to include the Cayin C9 portable amp. Huuuuge improvement, especially with the Class A / NuTube selections.

(This is off-topic, but sorta relevant at the same time - feel free to skip...
In the interim, I also upgraded my IEM to the Theiaudio Monarch mk2. For $1k USD, it was the best money I ever spent these past few months. Easily the best enjoyable tuning I've heard in a long while. After hearing these, I decided the rollback all my headphone upgrades and return to the Arya. Even the ZMF Verite I purchased, after selling my Fostex and Sony Z1R, are being sold. At this point I decided to prioritize tuning over technicalities, and save money in the meantime
)

Arya SE: Instead of going back to the v2, I decided to try the SE despite the mixed impressions. These feel like a baby HE1KSE. The tuning is similar from my memory, but it's more linear in the treble and midrange, which is really good in my book. This has my favorite midrange presentation of all the headphones here - not too dry and not too warm. The bass is definitely punchier than the v2, but loses that unique speaker-like feel to it. The soundstage doesn't bother as me as much as I thought it would, but more so the presentation that made the v2 so unique. I do like the Arya SE though and don't see myself selling for now.

In the end, I feel the Arya (v2 or SE) is the best value headphone on the market, especially if you grab an open box deal. If you want to upgrade from the v2, I would say don't. There's nothing really out there that is a "direct upgrade", only more like a side-grade. If you want an upgrade from the SE, then the HE1KSE would be a perfect upgrade if you don't mind the treble or can EQ. I really wished I heard those headphones through the Cayin C9.
I wonder how your impressions would've changed if you had used a dedicated desktop stack instead of a portable setup? IMO, a dedicated desktop solution may not have the compromises that portable gears do. Just curious...

Feb 22, 2022 at 9:51 PM Post #6,830 of 11,883
Be sure to research silver cables before you dive in. They're more conductive than copper and from what I read that leads to more detail in the treble, if that's what you want. Can't go wrong with those cables, I'd go XLR of course for higher power output
Yeah! I have a gold plated silver cable from Whiplash which does improve the mid and treble a lot and it's very silky and smooth across all ranges.
However, I kinda miss the warmth and relaxed sound signature of copper cables. My personal favorite is copper + gold, but that'd be out of budget this time anyway.

The best cable I've ever heard was a custom made using Neotech Gold Plated UP-OCC copper "wiring" cable. A friend of mine spent over $1000 building it for his Sony MDR-Z1R and that thing was crazily good on almost every headphone we tested.

Defnitely not a cheap option but If anyone is interested in making one:
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/hook...gold-plated-up-occ-copper-0205mm-p-14522.html

Bought a KK cable HH-V from Amazon recently. A solid performer for just under $65. Still, it is too "slow" compaing to the silver or gold plated ones that I'm used to.
Thinking to return it and go for a silver plated OFC, but will still recommend it to someone who likes the sound signature of copper cables:

https://www.amazon.com/KK-Cable-Com...s,+4-pin+xlr+male+plug.+,industrial,52&sr=1-1

Feb 22, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #6,831 of 11,883
Wanted to leave my thoughts here for anyone interested in upgrading from their Arya. THes Unfortunately, the Susvara was outside my budget... The notes below are all in sequential order of when I tried them.

Arya v2: Amazing soundstage and speaker-like presentation, but not without it's flaws. Treble had a noticeable peak and vocals were a little blurry in some respects. Wanted to see what the HE1000 series could offer, so I sold them.
* Source at the time was the iBasso DX312 dap with a Norne Silvergarde after-market headphone cable.

HE1000SE: My first major upgrade over the Arya and into the next price bracket of 2k+ headphones. First thought is "Wow these are detailed". Technicalities and resolution is through the roof. The sheer speed, force, and accuracy of the bass, without any fostex-like bloat, blew me away especially! After the honeymoon period though, I realized how bright the treble is and how the tuning of the midrange was off. Maybe it was too warm for me?... The treble peak is what killed it for me though. It was a higher frequency than the Arya v2 but more distracting to my ears. While the soundstage didn't feel as grand as the Arya v2, it was still a sufficient size. Eventually, I decided to sell them for the HE1Kv2.
* By this time, I reterminated my Silvergarde cable for ZMF headphones, and ordered a Norne Draug Copper for the Hifiman's

HE1000v2: I read a lot how the tuning on these are better, despite the less impressive technicalities (but still better over the Arya), and I would have to agree here. The treble is the smoothest here, but still very detailed - easily my most favorite approach to this frequency range. Soundstage is larger than the SE, and maybe even the Arya v2. The reason I say maybe is because the midrange is drier, less warm, but also closer, so it doesn't feel as deep to me. I did eventually find the mids a little too dry, but it depended a lot on the recording. The biggest killer though was the bass. As mentioned in reviews online, it's not bass light, but the dynamics are very lackluster. It's just so... soft. Even the Arya v2 was better here and for the price, I found it pretty disappointing.
* At this time, I upgraded my source to include the Cayin C9 portable amp. Huuuuge improvement, especially with the Class A / NuTube selections.

(This is off-topic, but sorta relevant at the same time - feel free to skip...
In the interim, I also upgraded my IEM to the Theiaudio Monarch mk2. For $1k USD, it was the best money I ever spent these past few months. Easily the best enjoyable tuning I've heard in a long while. After hearing these, I decided the rollback all my headphone upgrades and return to the Arya. Even the ZMF Verite I purchased, after selling my Fostex and Sony Z1R, are being sold. At this point I decided to prioritize tuning over technicalities, and save money in the meantime
)

Arya SE: Instead of going back to the v2, I decided to try the SE despite the mixed impressions. These feel like a baby HE1KSE. The tuning is similar from my memory, but it's more linear in the treble and midrange, which is really good in my book. This has my favorite midrange presentation of all the headphones here - not too dry and not too warm. The bass is definitely punchier than the v2, but loses that unique speaker-like feel to it. The soundstage doesn't bother as me as much as I thought it would, but more so the presentation that made the v2 so unique. I do like the Arya SE though and don't see myself selling for now.

In the end, I feel the Arya (v2 or SE) is the best value headphone on the market, especially if you grab an open box deal. If you want to upgrade from the v2, I would say don't. There's nothing really out there that is a "direct upgrade", only more like a side-grade. If you want an upgrade from the SE, then the HE1KSE would be a perfect upgrade if you don't mind the treble or can EQ. I really wished I heard those headphones through the Cayin C9.
V2 guy who is in love with my sound. Thanks for the reassurance that no upgrade is needed.

Feb 22, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #6,832 of 11,883
Hi folks! Any reccomendations for upgrade cables for Arya? Looking for mid-range ($100~$150) options.
Amplifier Surgery's silver plated copper cables seems to be a good pair with Arya. Any thoughts?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/778903520/audiophile-quality-hifiman-ananda?click_key=62177c23855f2a2d75f7017e7a4b0aad9ea619f6:778903520&click_sum=51a1d896&ref=hp_rv-2

https://www.etsy.com/listing/682123697/silver-plated-focal-clear-elear-elegia?click_key=8d492a84984cd6bcd6ee64b2bcf616440041871e:682123697&click_sum=a9a38e19&ref=hp_rv-1&frs=1

The only difference, according to them, is the thickness of silver.
I bought a Periapt copper cable and the SPC 8-cores cable for the Gold Planar GL2000's that fit the Aryas - they're both less than $110 dollars each American. There's also the Apos Flow XLR cable for about the same $$$. There's also this one if you're in a crunch and need one right now to try (the 8-cores is why I mention it):

https://www.amazon.com/Youkamoo-Bal...6XD2/ref=dp_prsubs_1?pd_rd_i=B08LF36XD2&psc=1

Feb 23, 2022 at 7:36 AM Post #6,833 of 11,883
I can confirm this. I bought a cheap New Fantasia cable (silver plated) from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/NewFantasia-Balanced-Compatible-Headphones-Replacement/dp/B07HGP87F6) while I was waiting for a more expensive 16 core copper cable from Aliexpress.

The New Fantasia cable es shorter, stiffer, uglier, even microphonic but I greatly prefer the sound of it over the more expensive, copper cable.

Feb 23, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #6,834 of 11,883
Hey, did you ever grab an FA 10 for your Arya and get to compare it to the Jotunheim 2?

Feb 23, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #6,835 of 11,883
Hey, did you ever grab an FA 10 for your Arya and get to compare it to the Jotunheim 2?
Sorry, I have not and don't have any experience with Flux Labs. But if you have not seen Midfiguy review a bunch of amps on his YouTube channel, check it out. One of the best up and coming reviewers that I trust. Flux Labs among many more brands are on these videos.

See both parts, start with part 1.

Feb 23, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #6,836 of 11,883
Sorry, I have not and don't have any experience with Flux Labs. But if you have not seen Midfiguy review a bunch of amps on his YouTube channel, check it out. One of the best up and coming reviewers that I trust. Flux Labs among many more brands are on these videos.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Feb 23, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #6,837 of 11,883
Just sold my Empyrean today and bought an Arya Stealth. Let's hope the Arya's are a good fit. I've only briefly heard them at my local shop but was super impressed with what I heard in the short amount of time I had with them.

Feb 23, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #6,838 of 11,883
V2 guy who is in love with my sound. Thanks for the reassurance that no upgrade is needed.
You, my friend...can teach us about FOMO and not being overly curious about shiny new things, haha. Seriously though, I still see an Arya Stealth in your future - whether near or far, lol, simply b/c it'll be the predominant version after the supply of the v2's dry up (months?, a couple of years?, no one truly knows but HFM...). Keep us posted on your progress...

Feb 23, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #6,839 of 11,883

Over the Flux lab acoustic thread , Midfi guy opinion on Flux amps is not share over the community. I own the FA 22 and I was only able to compare it to the THX 789 and I can definitely say the Flux was better at everything. I was using RME 2 FS dac with Audeze LCD2 F Rosewood, Elex and Ananda.

Hope this helps.
Link at the bottom

Link

Feb 23, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #6,840 of 11,883
Just sold my Empyrean today and bought an Arya Stealth. Let's hope the Arya's are a good fit. I've only briefly heard them at my local shop but was super impressed with what I heard in the short amount of time I had with them.
Congrats! Not sure about your personal tastes but one thing I know is they have so much potential so be sure to try them out on different setups before reaching a conclusion :wink:
The Arya I hear on my humble sub $1k desktop setup are completely different from what I heard on my audiophile friend's $20k system, which is like heaven.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back