HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Feb 23, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #6,841 of 11,886
Over the Flux lab acoustic thread , Midfi guy opinion on Flux amps is not share over the community. I own the FA 22 and I was only able to compare it to the THX 789 and I can definitely say the Flux was better at everything. I was using RME 2 FS dac with Audeze LCD2 F Rosewood, Elex and Ananda.

Hope this helps.
Link at the bottom

Link
I was interested in the FA 10 but apparently it lacks punch? I might as well hold off anyway as I want a Burson soloist 3xp but I can't afford it right now

Feb 23, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #6,842 of 11,886
I can confirm this. I bought a cheap New Fantasia cable (silver plated) from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/NewFantasia-Balanced-Compatible-Headphones-Replacement/dp/B07HGP87F6) while I was waiting for a more expensive 16 core copper cable from Aliexpress.

The New Fantasia cable es shorter, stiffer, uglier, even microphonic but I greatly prefer the sound of it over the more expensive, copper cable.

The Arya is tuned for a little silver in the cable. It gives it the life and sparkle it can handle so well.

Feb 23, 2022 at 11:55 PM Post #6,843 of 11,886
What's everybody's favorite headphone stand for the Arya? I stretched mine out to be super wide and I need something to support just about the length of the headband and not just the center

Feb 24, 2022 at 12:00 AM Post #6,844 of 11,886
Wanted to leave my thoughts here for anyone interested in upgrading from their Arya v2. Unfortunately, the Susvara is outside my budget... The notes below are all in sequential order of when I tried them.

Arya v2: Amazing soundstage and speaker-like presentation, but not without it's flaws. Treble had a noticeable peak and vocals were a little blurry in some respects. Wanted to see what the HE1000 series could offer, so I sold them.
* Source at the time was the iBasso DX312 dap with a Norne Silvergarde after-market headphone cable.

HE1000SE: My first major upgrade over the Arya and into the next price bracket of 2k+ headphones. First thought is "Wow these are detailed". Technicalities and resolution is through the roof. The sheer speed, force, and accuracy of the bass, without any fostex-like bloat, blew me away especially! After the honeymoon period though, I realized how bright the treble is and how the tuning of the midrange was off. Maybe it was too warm for me?... The treble peak is what killed it for me though. It was a higher frequency than the Arya v2 but more distracting to my ears. While the soundstage didn't feel as grand as the Arya v2, it was still a sufficient size. Eventually, I decided to sell them for the HE1Kv2.
* By this time, I reterminated my Silvergarde cable for ZMF headphones, and ordered a Norne Draug Copper for the Hifiman's

HE1000v2: I read a lot how the tuning on these are better, despite the less impressive technicalities (but still better over the Arya), and I would have to agree here. The treble is the smoothest here, but still very detailed - easily my most favorite approach to this frequency range. Soundstage is larger than the HE1KSE, and maybe even the Arya v2. The reason I say maybe is because the midrange is drier, less warm, but also closer, so it doesn't feel as deep to me. I did eventually find the mids a little too dry, but it depended a lot on the recording. The biggest killer though was the bass. As mentioned in reviews online, it's not bass light, but the dynamics are very lackluster. It's just so... soft. Even the Arya v2 was better here and for the price, I found it pretty disappointing.
* At this time, I upgraded my source to include the Cayin C9 portable amp. Huuuuge improvement, especially with the Class A / NuTube selections.

(This is off-topic, but sorta relevant at the same time - feel free to skip...
In the interim, I also upgraded my IEM to the Theiaudio Monarch mk2. For $1k USD, it was the best money I ever spent these past few months. Easily the best enjoyable tuning I've heard in a long while. After hearing these, I decided the rollback all my headphone upgrades and return to the Arya. Even the ZMF Verite I purchased, after selling my Fostex and Sony Z1R, are being sold. At this point I decided to prioritize tuning over technicalities, and save money in the meantime
)

Arya SE: Instead of going back to the v2, I decided to try the SE despite the mixed impressions. These feel like a baby HE1KSE. The tuning is similar from my memory, but it's more linear in the treble and midrange, which is really good in my book. This has my favorite midrange presentation of all the headphones here - not too dry and not too warm. The bass is definitely punchier than the v2, but loses that unique speaker-like feel to it. The soundstage doesn't bother as me as much as I thought it would, but more so the presentation that made the v2 so unique. I do like the Arya SE though and don't see myself selling for now.

In the end, I feel the Arya (v2 or SE) is the best value headphone on the market, especially if you grab an open box deal. If you want to upgrade from the v2, I would say don't. There's nothing really out there that is a "direct upgrade", only more like a side-grade. If you want an upgrade from the SE, then the HE1KSE would be a perfect upgrade if you don't mind the treble or can EQ. I really wished I heard those headphones through the Cayin C9.
Glad you got your hands on an Arya SE! Your impressions of the HEKV2 match my own when I owned it. Perfect if not for that soft presentation.

You really got me wanting to try the Thieaudio Monarch mk2 now too...

Feb 24, 2022 at 12:07 AM Post #6,845 of 11,886
I was interested in the FA 10 but apparently it lacks punch? I might as well hold off anyway as I want a Burson soloist 3xp but I can't afford it right now
Yeah, I'm selling my FA-10 exactly because of the magic the Burson has with my Arya's. I wasn't ever able to try the Burson with the V2, but with the Stealth Edition it's just pure magic. I did really enjoy the FA-10 with the HE6SEv2 though.

I wouldn't say it lacks punch. To my ears, it actually has a grander stage and fuller bass compared to the Burson, but not as much midrange authority. I think that's the magic sauce the Burson gives to the Arya. Do keep in mind that the Burson with the Supercharger is almost twice the cost of an FA-10. But if you have the funds, I say go for it.

Feb 24, 2022 at 12:24 AM Post #6,846 of 11,886
Congrats! Not sure about your personal tastes but one thing I know is they have so much potential so be sure to try them out on different setups before reaching a conclusion :wink:
The Arya I hear on my humble sub $1k desktop setup are completely different from what I heard on my audiophile friend's $20k system, which is like heaven.
I tried them out on an iFi Diablo which I now own and absolutely loved them on it. At the same time I heard them with a Burson Soloist and an RME ADI 2 and vastly preferred the Diablo. I'm thinking about upgrading my CMA400i to the FiiO K9 Pro so once I get the Arya's I'll bring them down to my local shop to see if it's a good fit.

Feb 24, 2022 at 1:19 AM Post #6,847 of 11,886
Just sold my Empyrean today and bought an Arya Stealth. Let's hope the Arya's are a good fit. I've only briefly heard them at my local shop but was super impressed with what I heard in the short amount of time I had with them.
When you get them in be sure to give them time to play in and open up - say, about ~75 hours of both pink noise files and music. Do that before you pass final judgement, they change from their fresh out of the box presentation.

Feb 24, 2022 at 1:22 AM Post #6,848 of 11,886
I tried them out on an iFi Diablo which I now own and absolutely loved them on it. At the same time I heard them with a Burson Soloist and an RME ADI 2 and vastly preferred the Diablo. I'm thinking about upgrading my CMA400i to the FiiO K9 Pro so once I get the Arya's I'll bring them down to my local shop to see if it's a good fit.
I would think the more analytical nature of the RME ADI-2 didn't pair well with the Burson and Arya. The combo is really helped by a warmer DAC. Maybe that's what you're liking in the Diablo. I know iFi's stuff uses the warmer Burr Brown chipset.

Feb 24, 2022 at 1:38 AM Post #6,849 of 11,886
I would think the more analytical nature of the RME ADI-2 didn't pair well with the Burson and Arya. The combo is really helped by a warmer DAC. Maybe that's what you're liking in the Diablo. I know iFi's stuff uses the warmer Burr Brown chipset.
Yeah. I really like both the RME as well as most of the Burson lineup, I just think with my headphone collection the Burson is too warm and I’m looking for more of an all-rounder.

The Soloist sounded great with the Arya but I didn’t like it at all with the ZMFs and my Rosson.

The Diablo sounds awesome with everything I own with a touch of warmth from the Burr Brown DAC and amazing resolution and power.

Feb 24, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #6,850 of 11,886
Yeah. I really like both the RME as well as most of the Burson lineup, I just think with my headphone collection the Burson is too warm and I’m looking for more of an all-rounder.

The Soloist sounded great with the Arya but I didn’t like it at all with the ZMFs and my Rosson.

The Diablo sounds awesome with everything I own with a touch of warmth from the Burr Brown DAC and amazing resolution and power.
Ah! I see now. Yeah I would agree that the Soloist doesn't do my ZMF's justice at all. I pretty much only use it with the Arya. Then the Bottlehead Crack exclusively with the ZMF's, and the HD6XX when I break it out. Curious to hear your impressions of the K9 pro!

Feb 24, 2022 at 2:51 AM Post #6,851 of 11,886

Could you please compare Arya and RAD-0?

Feb 24, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #6,852 of 11,886
Could you please compare Arya and RAD-0?
Sure can. I'm waiting on my tracking info for the Arya's and hopefully they ship out today.

Feb 24, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #6,853 of 11,886
What's everybody's favorite headphone stand for the Arya? I stretched mine out to be super wide and I need something to support just about the length of the headband and not just the center

This is the headphone stand that I am using. Low price, looks nice, and the most important thing to me is: it's tall enough for me to hang the headphones on the metal band, as opposed to the headband itself.

Avantree Headphone Stand

Feb 24, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #6,854 of 11,886
You might want to check out an omega style stand if you want the entire headband to be supported. I use an audioquest perch stand, which I think may be out if production. The Woo Audio stands look like they have a pretty wide surface area too, but they keep increasing the price on the damned thing.

Feb 24, 2022 at 9:19 PM Post #6,855 of 11,886
I have a couple of headphone stands that are pretty good. But for the phones of the day I have a medium size gamer mouse pad covered by a table mat. This sits on top of my stereo stand.

I just lay the Arya on that. It is protected, easier to pick up & put down, and I think less prone to any kind of damage or accident. After the first time using it I never went back to the stand again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back