HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Feb 25, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #6,871 of 11,916
Sorry for butting in...my favorite "roots" group of all time - Steel Pulse - utterly classic British Reggae. Then there's some of the other classic artists - Bob Marley and the Wailers, Dennis Brown, Peter Tosh, Burning Spear, Black Uhuru, Buju Banton, Toots and the Maytals, Third World, any of the other Wailers [including Bunny Wailer and Ziggy Marley (Bob's son)], Sly and Robbie, Gregory Isaacs, Eek-a-Mouse and Yellowman (if you like dance hall reggae) - and this names only a few. There's so much to discover in the genre - and IMO, roots reggae never gets old b/c it feeds the spirit and/or the soul (unlike some of the dance hall cuts). Again, sorry for butting in but reggae is one of my favorite genres of all time and I've been into Roots since the late '70's and early '80's.

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_roots_reggae_artists
No offense taken at all. I listed a handful of artists with catalogs that would help someone discover other top notch artists but that goes without saying Buju Banton's Til' Shiloh, & Inna Heights are amazing albums. I could mention Marcia Griffiths, Lady Saw, Sanchez, Wayne Wonder, Shabba Ranks, Bounty Killer, Spragga Benz, etc. Their catalogs are well represented on Tidal, Apple Music, and other streaming services. Your input is appreciated. Love Roots, Dancehall, and Culture Reggae.

Feb 25, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #6,872 of 11,916
my stack is a topping d70s and singxer sa-1.
That right there may be part of the problem with having some sibilance when enabling "current mode" on the SA-1. It may not be the fault of the amp at all, especially if you have an analytical DAC in front of it that can sometimes be bright and lean sounding like some other Topping DAC's can be. It's one of the reasons that I chose the SMSL SU-9 to go with my Arya v2's instead of Topping's offerings - SMSL's mid-range or upper mid-range DAC's have been called revealing but not bright or harsh in the treble. I'd take a look at the DAC in front of it as well as looking into the v3's too. The v3's have improved timbre vs the v2's, IMO, and reduces or altogether eliminates the v2's slight plasticky timbre.

Feb 25, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #6,873 of 11,916
That right there may be part of the problem with having some sibilance when enabling "current mode" on the SA-1. It may not be the fault of the amp at all, especially if you have an analytical DAC in front of it that can sometimes be bright and lean sounding like some other Topping DAC's can be. It's one of the reasons that I chose the SMSL SU-9 to go with my Arya v2's instead of Topping's offerings - SMSL's mid-range or upper mid-range DAC's have been called revealing but not bright or harsh in the treble. I'd take a look at the DAC in front of it as well as looking into the v3's too. The v3's have improved timbre vs the v2's, IMO, and reduces or altogether eliminates the v2's slight plasticky timbre.
Interesting. I'll see what I can try with the dac segment. Thank you for your suggestions. As of v3, I think I'd stick with the v2 because I truly love its soundstage and presentation. I still don't get the plasticky timbre complaint because I don't know how to listen for it. Some also suggested that amps like the sa-1 may mitigate the timbre issue. Thanks!

Feb 25, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #6,874 of 11,916
What do you all think is a good counterpart to the Arya v2? It's got that grand stage and detail that's great with really instrumental ethereal music. I want a different set that's also detailed but energetic and punchy for Rock/Metal/Pop when the mood strikes. Focal Clears? Any other recommendations?

I think for Rock/Metal, any dynamic driver may be disappointing after you've heard the wicked speed of the Arya. The Arya is actually endgame to me for metal once it has more punch and slam, which is what the V3 does (even better with some help from the Bifrost and a slammy amp)

This symphonic death metal album - Escaping Eternity by The Devils of Loudun - really shows off what the Arya V3 can do for metal. Instrumental separation, macrodynamics, blazing transients...it's all there in spades. An overwhelming tidal wave of sonic information delivered with finesse and impact. I haven't been able to stop listening for the past few days.

I have the Clear and it just can't keep up with the drumming as well as the Arya. The hits are there but not as crisp or well articulated. I don't think electric guitar sounds as sweet or well-textured either because of the slightly warmer lower mids and the mid-forward tuning. It's just a little too thick.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #6,875 of 11,916
Interesting. I'll see what I can try with the dac segment. Thank you for your suggestions. As of v3, I think I'd stick with the v2 because I truly love its soundstage and presentation. I still don't get the plasticky timbre complaint because I don't know how to listen for it. Some also suggested that amps like the sa-1 may mitigate the timbre issue. Thanks!
In other news, it seems the Arya V2 (new and open box) is now sold out on the Hifiman store. If you're loving the V2, definitely stick with it! Because from now on, it looks like they're gonna get harder and harder to find.

Feb 25, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #6,876 of 11,916
Sorry for butting in...my favorite "roots" group of all time - Steel Pulse - utterly classic British Reggae. Then there's some of the other classic artists - Bob Marley and the Wailers, Dennis Brown, Peter Tosh, Burning Spear, Black Uhuru, Buju Banton, Toots and the Maytals, Third World, any of the other Wailers [including Bunny Wailer and Ziggy Marley (Bob's son)], Sly and Robbie, Gregory Isaacs, Eek-a-Mouse and Yellowman (if you like dance hall reggae) - and this names only a few. There's so much to discover in the genre - and IMO, roots reggae never gets old b/c it feeds the spirit and/or the soul (unlike some of the dance hall cuts). Again, sorry for butting in but reggae is one of my favorite genres of all time and I've been into Roots since the late '70's and early '80's.

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_roots_reggae_artists
Never apologize for butting in, especially if you have music suggestions! I'll check these artists out. Admittedly, I've only listened to Bob Marley

Feb 25, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #6,877 of 11,916
No offense taken at all. I listed a handful of artists with catalogs that would help someone discover other top notch artists but that goes without saying Buju Banton's Til' Shiloh, & Inna Heights are amazing albums. I could mention Marcia Griffiths, Lady Saw, Sanchez, Wayne Wonder, Shabba Ranks, Bounty Killer, Spragga Benz, etc. Their catalogs are well represented on Tidal, Apple Music, and other streaming services. Your input is appreciated. Love Roots, Dancehall, and Culture Reggae.
There's definitely a vast list of Reggae artists and groups - too many to name in one sitting. It's a shame that many in the U.S. have either minimized or downright ignored reggae and other Carribean music genres - or just as bad, relegated them to only pot-smoking or other intoxicant consuming events. They both are really historically rich genres.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #6,878 of 11,916
Some also suggested that amps like the sa-1 may mitigate the timbre issue.
Yup, many Class A amps do mitigate some of the harshness in some chains. I'm not going to try to point out any plasticky timbre - b/c once you recognize it - I don't want you to blame me for not being able to un-hear it, haha. If I didn't decide on getting the Stealths I'd still be rocking the v2's too. BTW, I read that the D70S greatly improves on the original D70's performance and timbre, and isn't bright/harsh like the original. Maybe you can adjust it's LP digital filters and sound quality settings. I noticed that when I disabled the preamp volume settings on my DAC (pure DAC mode) that I got cleaner, clearer sound without harshness. Keep us posted...

Feb 25, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #6,879 of 11,916
So, I got my laptop and set it up for EQ using Peace. Is this correct? Without EQ filters on everything sounds like doodoo butter. Once I switched that on and put pre amp back up to 0 I tried pushing on and off and I'm not really noticing much of a difference. Lemme A/B this for a bit

Arya settings.png

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #6,880 of 11,916
So, I got my laptop and set it up for EQ using Peace. Is this correct? Without EQ filters on everything sounds like doodoo butter. Once I switched that on and put pre amp back up to 0 I tried pushing on and off and I'm not really noticing much of a difference. Lemme A/B this for a bit

Edit: Oh wow, ok. That's pretty good

It's possible you have me muted because you haven't replied to me, but I'd suggest turning off the graphic equalization option so it's using parametric (that little 'EQ' button to the right of your filter options). I'm not fully educated on what the graphic equalization does exactly, but parametric is better/more control as I understand (giving you control over those Q values). Otherwise your settings look good, enjoy!

edit: Oh, looks like your 105hz filter should probably be set to 'low shelf filter (Q as slope)'

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #6,881 of 11,916

Edit: Oh wow, ok. That's pretty good

Arya settings.png

Should look like this.

1645843093856.png

Feb 25, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #6,882 of 11,916
Should look like this.

Did you download all your settings or input them yourself? I used the oratory link you posted a couple pages back unless I'm reading it wrong

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #6,884 of 11,916
Yup, many Class A amps do mitigate some of the harshness in some chains. I'm not going to try to point out any plasticky timbre - b/c once you recognize it - I don't want you to blame me for not being able to un-hear it, haha. If I didn't decide on getting the Stealths I'd still be rocking the v2's too. BTW, I read that the D70S greatly improves on the original D70's performance and timbre, and isn't bright/harsh like the original. Maybe you can adjust it's LP digital filters and sound quality settings. I noticed that when I disabled the preamp volume settings on my DAC (pure DAC mode) that I got cleaner, clearer sound without harshness. Keep us posted...
I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Feb 25, 2022 at 11:10 PM Post #6,885 of 11,916
Should look like this.

1645843093856.png
Huh, really new to this and I'm certainly confused. Why is my frequency chart so much different from yours?
Arya settings 2.png

Users who are viewing this thread

• FC35
Back