HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Feb 21, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #6,796 of 11,868
Most recommended amp for the Arya on this thread please??
Too many good ones to specify "most recommended" so I'll suggest a topology/design and sound quality characteristics instead. IMO: Any amp that is...
1) Moderately powerful (~2 watts or better);
2) "Discrete or hybrid" (ie: no THX or IC chip type amps);
3) Class A or Class AB;
4) Balanced topology (for more power, lower noise floor, and better stereo separation (or SE for lower cost);

Sound Character:
A) One that is revealing and has good timbre - but is not annoyingly bright or harsh.

A lot depends on your budget also:
(mid-range and upper mid-range amps)
1) Schiit Asgard ($250) - single ended, Class A/AB, discrete, good power, the minimum SQ I'd pair with the Arya;
2) Schiit Jotunheim ($399) - Balanced, Class AB, discrete, powerful;
3) Gustard H16 ($399) - Balanced, Class A, Hybrid discrete (discrete components and IC opamps);
4) Singxer Sa-1 ($599) - Balanced, Class A, fully discrete, can be direct current coupled for better performance;

***5) I put asterisks here to denote the used market. Very good deals can be had on high end amps for a lot less than new. I bought a Gustard H20 discrete Class A balanced amp for about $475 - it retails for ~$950 - it is personally my best amp so far.

6) High-End amps - too many to name. All are great but which one you choose depends on your personal SQ goals and/or sound characteristic preferences. Others with more experience in the High-End can chime in. Good hunting...

Feb 21, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #6,797 of 11,868
Last edited:
Feb 21, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #6,798 of 11,868
Too many good ones to specify "most recommended" so I'll suggest a topology/design and sound quality characteristics instead. IMO: Any amp that is...
1) Moderately powerful (~2 watts or better);
2) "Discrete or hybrid" (ie: no THX or IC chip type amps);
3) Class A or Class AB;
4) Balanced topology (for more power, lower noise floor, and better stereo separation (or SE for lower cost);

Sound Character:
A) One that is revealing and has good timbre - but is not annoyingly bright or harsh.

A lot depends on your budget also:
(mid-range and upper mid-range amps)
1) Schiit Asgard ($250) - single ended, Class A/AB, discrete, good power, the minimum SQ I'd pair with the Arya;
2) Schiit Jotunheim ($399) - Balanced, Class AB, discrete, powerful;
3) Gustard H16 ($399) - Balanced, Class A, Hybrid discrete (discrete components and IC opamps);
4) Singxer Sa-1 ($599) - Balanced, Class A, fully discrete, can be direct current coupled for better performance;

***5) I put asterisks here to denote the used market. Very good deals can be had on high end amps for a lot less than new. I bought a Gustard H20 discrete Class A balanced amp for about $475 - it retails for ~$950 - it is personally my best amp so far.

6) High-End amps - too many to name. All are great but which one you choose depends on your personal SQ goals and/or sound characteristic preferences. Others with more experience in the High-End can chime in. Good hunting...
Nice checklist! I agree with this 100%. I’d also put the Lyr 3 in the list as well. I’ve heard great things about synergy with the Arya.

Feb 21, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #6,800 of 11,868
I have received them open box like that. Not too concerned since its just metal fence .
You received an open box without part of the headphones? Lmao.

Where'd you find Open box V1? I felt like I had to keep my open box V2 a secret so no one else got them

Feb 21, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #6,801 of 11,868
Nice checklist! I agree with this 100%. I’d also put the Lyr 3 in the list as well. I’ve heard great things about synergy with the Arya.
Yup, I forgot to put it on the list as a "hybrid". Shoot, I may even get that myself at some point in time...you know, for experimental purposes, haha.

Feb 21, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #6,802 of 11,868
Looks odd, ik.
That looks like a v1. It's missing the outer "window shade" protection grills. I'd contact HFM to see if they could send me a couple of them from the parts bin. It looks like a recipe for a disastrous mistake or a biiiig "Oops" moment. Don't drop or set them down wrong or you may be out several hundred dollars for a repair. Just saying...

Feb 21, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #6,803 of 11,868
I don't have a lot of experience with different dac/amps, but my all-in-one (had to stop myself from using the AIO acronym) has been serving very well and I am very pleased with the results it produces. I'm using the new Fiio K9 Pro which I previously used with my LCD-GX, too. Wonderful, wonderful unit that is built like a tank and does practically everything that I need. Not the most powerful option out there, but plenty of power enough for me to drive the Arya V3 even in low gain.
Funny you mentioned it, I recently purchased a k9 also and it made me get rid of my RME ADI-2 DAC/Singxer SA-1 stack…i urge everyone to give it a listen, it’s not your usual thx offering, I’ve owned 3 thx products, all of which I’ve gotten rid of due to their sterile sound signatures, the fiio k9 pro is doing something different with this thx offering, and it is very very impressive. Grab one while their still around.

Feb 21, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #6,804 of 11,868
I have received them open box like that. Not too concerned since its just metal fence .
Yeah. I thought I noticed that a wire mesh grill was there in place of the shades. I must seriously question HFMs return/upgrade policy if they accepted these back as they were modified. If you did buy from HFM, I hope they disclosed that they were modified and you received an exceptional price.

Or maybe they were prototypes sold by mistake and are actually priceless! 😏

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #6,805 of 11,868
Funny you mentioned it, I recently purchased a k9 also and it made me get rid of my RME ADI-2 DAC/Singxer SA-1 stack…i urge everyone to give it a listen, it’s not your usual thx offering, I’ve owned 3 thx products, all of which I’ve gotten rid of due to their sterile sound signatures, the fiio k9 pro is doing something different with this thx offering, and it is very very impressive. Grab one while their still around.
I must be old and behind the times...as I cannot seem to wrap my head around a mini desktop IC based all-in-one unit being a higher performing and better sounding setup compared to an all discrete Class A balanced amplifier in the Sa-1. I could see maybe replacing the RME since it has somewhat of an older DAC chip(s) - and if one wanted to go simpler by forgoing it's PEQ capabilities. But I just can't see the lower tiered THX 788 IC being superior with the Arya - especially considering that the THX 888 IC is the top of the line THX offering, not the 788. That's just me though, I haven't heard the K9 Pro, the RME, or the Sa-1. Most of the THX type amps I've tried (Topping A90, Monolith '887, Schiit Magnius) didn't reproduce the 3D aspects of the music like discrete amps do - they made the Arya flat sounding, and without sound-stage depth and realism. I need to be enlightened...

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #6,806 of 11,868
Well, I have the same issue with the Arya that the Ananda had. The headband clamps too much and gives me a headache. It doesn't help that I've worn them several hours a day since I got them. I liked how snug they are but unlike the Ananda I'm not wanting to return these. I put some hands on the headband and gave it some stretching on top and in the corners. It now feels like the Edition XS which were quite loose but also never gave me any issues. I might add a bit more back in but time will tell.

I'm gonna take a day or a few days off from wearing cuz my head needs to "heal up" a bit.

Feb 22, 2022 at 1:24 AM Post #6,807 of 11,868

Interesting. That does match up with DMS's review as well. His tastes don't really match mine, but he seems like one of the more credible YouTubers.

Feb 22, 2022 at 1:57 AM Post #6,808 of 11,868

I can't say I've used too many other THX amps, but I've definitely heard that they typically have neutral, sterile sound signatures. Part of the reason I went with the K9 Pro is because of what people said. And you're right, these are collector's items, at least as they are right now. I know that Fiio is making an ESS version because the AKM chip being so scarce. I do think that the K9 has a whole ton of bang for the buck and I can easily recommend everyone give it a listen as well!

I must be old and behind the times...as I cannot seem to wrap my head around a mini desktop IC based all-in-one unit being a higher performing and better sounding setup compared to an all discrete Class A balanced amplifier in the Sa-1. I could see maybe replacing the RME since it has somewhat of an older DAC chip(s) - and if one wanted to go simpler by forgoing it's PEQ capabilities. But I just can't see the lower tiered THX 788 IC being superior with the Arya - especially considering that the THX 888 IC is the top of the line THX offering, not the 788. That's just me though, I haven't heard the K9 Pro, the RME, or the Sa-1. Most of the THX type amps I've tried (Topping A90, Monolith '887, Schiit Magnius) didn't reproduce the 3D aspects of the music like discrete amps do - they made the Arya flat sounding, and without sound-stage depth and realism. I need to be enlightened...

The handful of reviews that ultimately led me to pick up the K9 said just what quawn0418 stated, that it isn't like the other THX offerings. They all actually said it's a pleasure to listen to, stating it is a richer offering than your typical THX modules, and I would agree (but within the context of my limited scope, of course). And, while it technically is a 788 IC, apparently there is something that makes it unique even just to this particular model, giving it the 788+ moniker. Can you do better from stacks? Oh most definitely, but you're going to spend more money. Part of the reason I didn't opt for a stack is trying to keep things pretty minimalistic as possible. I've already went down the rabbit hole for years and years with my home theater setup going separates, I didn't quite want to do that with my desktop/bedroom setup (yet, at least!). We all know, once you go down that rabbit hole, there is no going back...

Feb 22, 2022 at 2:01 AM Post #6,809 of 11,868
Interesting. That does match up with DMS's review as well. His tastes don't really match mine, but he seems like one of the more credible YouTubers.

DMS was one of the reviews I watched, along with Josh Valour. And I agree, not all those reviewers, or even specifically DMS' taste matches mine, but it just seemed as a general consensus that the K9 Pro seemed different enough that made it worthwhile to check out.

Feb 22, 2022 at 4:28 AM Post #6,810 of 11,868
Does the Arya Stealth really benefit from high power amps with 2W and more? It is supposed to be easier to drive and so far I like it very much with my idsd micro Signature. But I just ordered a Mojo 2 because it was a good deal and I like the idea of the EQ features of it. What am I missing with just 600mW of power @ 32 Ohms? I want to keep my chain simple but as good sounding as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back