HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Feb 18, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #6,751 of 11,916
The Bifrost 2 unlocked the holographic quality of the Arya even more for me. With Chocolate Chip Trip, before it was not as obvious that the intro tones were orbiting my head - center channel imaging was a bit fuzzy and directionality was both a little vague (whether it was front vs back) and felt closer front and back than on the sides. The Bifrost made it a clear circular orbit which really upped the immersion.

Feb 18, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #6,752 of 11,916
No, I'm running the Arya without EQ until I'm more experienced with its sound.

It's got really well produced sound and sound quality. Most games sound pretty meh on high end headphones but Halo holds up
That's very sound logic. Not EQing in until you're used to their "naked" SQ gives a better idea of what these (and most) HPs sound like, so that later on when you choose to EQ you may find that you really don't need to EQ much at all. I've found that I don't need EQ at all with my setup as it stands with the Arya Stealths (or the Ananda either in my case) - I can't say that for some other HPs.

Feb 18, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #6,753 of 11,916
The Bifrost 2 unlocked the holographic quality of the Arya even more for me. With Chocolate Chip Trip, before it was not as obvious that the intro tones were orbiting my head - center channel imaging was a bit fuzzy and directionality was both a little vague (whether it was front vs back) and felt closer front and back than on the sides. The Bifrost made it a clear circular orbit which really upped the immersion.
What DAC were you coming from before you got the Bifrost?

Feb 18, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #6,754 of 11,916
Arya and Bifrost 2 are perfect for each other

BTW Anyone use EQ with the Arya? Do you hear a perceived reduction in soundstage? Someone on reddit mentioned when they turn on the Lokius even without any setting adjustments his soundstage is perceivably reduced and I feel the same thing when I turn mine on. It's been on bypass since I got the Arya.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #6,755 of 11,916
Arya and Bifrost 2 are perfect for each other

BTW Anyone use EQ with the Arya? Do you hear a perceived reduction in soundstage? Someone on reddit mentioned when they turn on the Lokius even without any setting adjustments his soundstage is perceivably reduced and I feel the same thing when I turn mine on. It's been on bypass since I got the Arya.
This might be a trait of the Lokius. From what I understand, the benefit of going up to the Loki Max is that you get that sense of space (and then some) back.

Feb 18, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #6,756 of 11,916
This might be a trait of the Lokius. From what I understand, the benefit of going up to the Loki Max is that you get that sense of space (and then some) back.
Kind of a bummer. I'm still in my return window for the Lokius so I'm debating sending it back, the last thing I want to do is reduce the stage. It immediately feels more closed in and forward

Feb 18, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #6,757 of 11,916
Kind of a bummer. I'm still in my return window for the Lokius so I'm debating sending it back, the last thing I want to do is reduce the stage. It immediately feels more closed in and forward
Sorry to hear that's your experience! Don't take my word for it, as I've never heard the Lokius. You're just saying something I've seen once or twice before. But yeah with the Arya, which is really known as a soundstaging headphone, I would want to do the most to capitalize on that in my setup.

Feb 18, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #6,758 of 11,916
Sorry to hear that. It's why I go EQ-less - far less problems with reducing any of the Aryas capabilities (or other HPs). Of course I did make the effort to maximize the other parts of my chain (ie: Class A discrete amp, not overly bright or clinical DAC, etc...)

Feb 18, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #6,759 of 11,916
Sorry to hear that's your experience! Don't take my word for it, as I've never heard the Lokius. You're just saying something I've seen once or twice before. But yeah with the Arya, which is really known as a soundstaging headphone, I would want to do the most to capitalize on that in my setup.
I ordered the V2 to maximize Soundstage and will continue to build around it to do that. It's not just the party trick but the complete reason I love this headphone. That and the phenomenal timbre and smooth detail, God damn is this thing good.

I've contacted Schiit and will be returning the Lokius. Since I don't plan on any other headphones for now I won't be needing it. I can put that money towards some better things

Feb 18, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #6,760 of 11,916

I'd send it back. Digital parametric EQ is free on PC and more prescise. It will not reduce the sound stage. Most people on PC use peace equalizer apo with peace UI. It is free and there are tutorials on how to set it up. I use oratory1990 settings.

Feb 18, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #6,761 of 11,916
I'd send it back. Digital parametric EQ is free on PC and more prescise. It will not reduce the sound stage. Most people on PC use peace equalizer apo with peace UI. It is free and there are tutorials on how to set it up. I use oratory1990 settings.
I'm on a chrome book which makes it hard to find a good EQ. I'll upgrade to something better in the near future. The Lokius is going back for sure

Feb 18, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #6,762 of 11,916
I'm on a chrome book which makes it hard to find a good EQ. I'll upgrade to something better in the near future. The Lokius is going back for sure
What do you actually "get" from EQing the v2? When I had it I really didn't need to EQ it - except for maybe to change up my DAC's filter settings whenever I felt like experimenting. Plenty punchy enough with Gustard H20 and Sparkos Labs discrete opamps.

Feb 18, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #6,763 of 11,916

If your chrome book can use android apps then you got options too. I think neutron is supposed to be a good one.

My advise though, punch it in and leave it on for a few weeks then switch it off. Toggling it on and off won't tell you if you like it or not, as our brains can get used to anything over time. I would love to hear how you describe going back to stock FR.

Feb 18, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #6,764 of 11,916
I find other ways to maximize soundstage size by tube rolling, trying out different quality after market headphone cables, interconnects, power cords, power conditioners, usb cable, etc. A little increase in soundstage here and there all adds up to noticeable differences.

But my biggest soundstage maximizer is using the Black Ice Audio FOZ-SS-X tube buffer. Its called a soundstage expander for a reason and it clearly shows.

Feb 18, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #6,765 of 11,916
If your chrome book can use android apps then you got options too. I think neutron is supposed to be a good one.

My advise though, punch it in and leave it on for a few weeks then switch it off. Toggling it on and off won't tell you if you like it or not, as our brains can get used to anything over time. I would love to hear how you describe going back to stock FR.
I'll check that out. Chromebook does use android apps. Quite honestly I'm super happy with the stock Arya v2 tuning. It sounds amazing and the only thing I can see myself adding is bass for hip hop/pop but really I'd rather just buy a headphone more suited for that anyway. They're usually terribly mixed songs and don't take advantage of staging

I find other ways to maximize soundstage size by tube rolling, trying out different quality after market headphone cables, interconnects, power cords, power conditioners, usb cable, etc. A little increase in soundstage here and there all adds up to noticeable differences.

But my biggest soundstage maximizer is using the Black Ice Audio FOZ-SS-X tube buffer. Its called a soundstage expander for a reason and it clearly shows.
I want to grab one but it's steep at $500, but in the future for sure. I don't have an itch to upgrade right now for the first time. The Arya is so good

I did just get a new cable though for my unison bifrost input and I have an Audiophile Ninja balanced cable coming in to replace my cheaper Amazon balanced cable

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back