HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Sep 18, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #4,998 of 11,876
Anyone compare the Arya with the new Peacock?
I'm curious about this, too. Initial impressions of the Peacock seem to be very positive across the board.

Sep 18, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #4,999 of 11,876
Recently bought an Arya, and it sounds fantastic! After a lot of research I figured it was the right upgrade for my venerable HD650, and I think I was right.

Now, here's my question. I just received my (custom) balanced cable, and it sounds really good, but I've got the volume on my amp set as high or higher as I did with the stock (unbalanced) cable. Am I missing something here? This is different than my experience and expectations with every other balanced connection I've had, where the the volume for the balanced connection needs to be turned down considerably vs. unbalanced. FWIW I checked the new cable with a multimeter and it is wired correctly. Anyone have any insight? I guess its possible the Arya connectors are wired wrong, but that seems unlikely.
I have this same issue!

Which cable are you using for balanced?

I "upgraded" to a Magnus from Arctic cables. However, I found out I actually MUCH prefer the stock cable. The stock cable for HifiMan is actually copper AND silver mixed. Everywhere online says it is a "piece of crap ofc cable" when they actually upgraded their cables.

The stock cable for the ananda blows the Magnus away in terms of clarity. Everything on the Magnus sounds GRAINY and the headphone went dark. I personally hate it. I'm 30hours burned in and although it has gotten better sounding it is still not the same in terms of resolution, accuracy, and detail. I was never a believer in cable burn-in but I will say compared to the harshness out of the box the Magnus have changed significantly.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #5,000 of 11,876
Have tried out the LCD 2C and the X, really liked the X but missed what the Arya could do. Was looking into possible upgrade path within Hifiman range. Good to know bass is similar at least on both, its not like Arya is lean.
If there was an LCD-X with a decent soundstage, I'd be very interested in that. And, you know, if it didn't cost $4,000+.

Sep 18, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #5,001 of 11,876
I have this same issue!

I "upgraded" to a Magnus from Arctic cables. However, I found out I actually MUCH prefer the stock cable. The stock cable for HifiMan is actually copper AND silver mixed. Everywhere online says it is a "piece of crap ofc cable" when they actually upgraded their cables.

The stock cable for the ananda blows the Magnus away in terms of clarity. Everything on the Magnus sounds GRAINY and the headphone went dark. I personally hate it. I'm 30hours burned in and although it has gotten better sounding it is still not the same in terms of resolution, accuracy, and detail. I was never a believer in cable burn-in but I will say compared to the harshness out of the box the Magnus have changed significantly.
This confirms my experience with Hifiman cables too. Crappy sleeving and usability, but actually very high quality sound.

Sep 18, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #5,002 of 11,876
I have this same issue!

Is this the same issue? My cable sounds really good, that isn't my problem. My problem/question is why do I need to play at the same volume for the balanced and unbalanced cable? I know my amp is balanced, and as far as the multimeter is concerned the cable balanced, so why don't the Aryas play louder balanced, like my other headphones?

Sep 18, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #5,003 of 11,876
Also - from Jack Wu on email:
The WA22 is designed as a fully balanced amp from input to output. The amp is accepting a balanced input to work as designed. When RCA input is used, the input is essentially half of balanced input; thus the amp will lose about half the efficiency. The RCA input will work if the amp has a single-ended to balanced conversion built-in. For design simplicity, the WA22 accepts only balanced input.

Regarding to the outputs, all sockets delivery similar performance. The reason for multiple outputs are for people with different cable needs.

I do indeed have as WA22. But I wonder if "performance" is the same as "gain" in this statement? I doubt it, because other headphones do in fact play louder from the balanced output than they do from the unbalanced. At least that is my experience. I guess I will ask Hifiman and see what they say.

Sep 18, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #5,004 of 11,876
Is this the same issue? My cable sounds really good, that isn't my problem. My problem/question is why do I need to play at the same volume for the balanced and unbalanced cable? I know my amp is balanced, and as far as the multimeter is concerned the cable balanced, so why don't the Aryas play louder balanced, like my other headphones?
Ahh I thought it was a dynamics issue caused by the cable requiring you to go louder on the knob to achieve somewhat similar dynamics as your old cable

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #5,005 of 11,876
I’ve seen it open box for $2200, but where the heck can you get it new for under $2K??

From my local dealer. I’m sure you can nego with yours?

Sep 19, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #5,006 of 11,876
For anyone who has heard the HEKse, compared to the Arya, which one slams harder? Overall I quite like my v2 but there are times where I wish the bass would punch harder.
Both produce "Hifiman" bass slam, but HE1000SE is stronger, and offer more "bold" presentation in bass. I never had any problem with either headphone for bass. HE1000SE significantly has better midrange quality though.

Sep 19, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #5,008 of 11,876

Here's a comparison.

Yeah I saw it before. I keep getting contradicting info though lol. It looks like it’s gonna have to be one of those “buy and try for yourself.” My one main knock is that, through my XLR out, the Arya is a little bright, was wondering if the v2 or SE reigns that in as well. Would have loved to go to CanJam this year 😭 Thanks for the replies!

Sep 19, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #5,009 of 11,876
Yeah I saw it before. I keep getting contradicting info though lol. It looks like it’s gonna have to be one of those “buy and try for yourself.” My one main knock is that, through my XLR out, the Arya is a little bright, was wondering if the v2 or SE reigns that in as well. Would have loved to go to CanJam this year 😭 Thanks for the replies!
Most analyses say the HEKse is fuller bodied and more resolving than Arya, but also brighter, more analytical, and less forgiving. I've never heard anyone characterise it as less bright than Arya.

Sep 19, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #5,010 of 11,876
I know, the info is confusing. As for the HEKV2, I wouldn't say it's less bright than the Arya either, just less peaky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back