HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Sep 17, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #4,981 of 11,913
I have an appointment to test the V2 and V3 side by side on Monday at my local store. Already tested the V2 alongside the HD800s and was about to pull the trigger on the V2. Loved it, but hesitated because talk of the V3 on this forum had just started. The V2 separation blew me away. My only complaint was the timbre sounding a little off when listening to some tracks (e.g. losing my religion and Uberlin by R.E.M)

I was hoping that the V3 would correct that timbre but retain all the other great qualities but if in fact it's a step in the wrong direction I'll go for the V2.

I'm feeling a bit disheartened by the negativity around the V3 but will see if the test can reverse that. Either way, will let you know next week.

Sep 17, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #4,982 of 11,913
I have an appointment to test the V2 and V3 side by side on Monday at my local store. Already tested the V2 alongside the HD800s and was about to pull the trigger on the V2. Loved it, but hesitated because talk of the V3 on this forum had just started. The V2 separation blew me away. My only complaint was the timbre sounding a little off when listening to some tracks (e.g. losing my religion and Uberlin by R.E.M)

I was hoping that the V3 would correct that timbre but retain all the other great qualities but if in fact it's a step in the wrong direction I'll go for the V2.

I'm feeling a bit disheartened by the negativity around the V3 but will see if the test can reverse that. Either way, will let you know next week.
Takes about a 3-4weeks before that stops bothering you, at least that was my experience. Worth it though!

Sep 17, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #4,983 of 11,913
I think yes. :wink: Looked at my V2 and has rectangular magnet frame. Magnet count on the inner side is different too 12 vs 13.

I mean I won't lie... It looks a lot more like my Edition XX now.

Sep 17, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #4,985 of 11,913
I mean I won't lie... It looks a lot more like my Edition XX now.
Yes, this is significant driver change, not "only" magnets but conductor traces on diaphragm too and maybe some things not seen yet.

Sep 17, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #4,986 of 11,913

Very excited to hear this comparison! Yes, please update us when you can!

Sep 17, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #4,987 of 11,913
The V3 changed completely after burnin 130+hours. At first they were bright. Now they became a little warmer with tighter bass & better impact.
I've asked the store if they can burn in the V3 before I go over on Monday. Doubt they'll give it as much as 130 hrs but let's see.

Any thoughts on the soundstage and separation/layering after burn in?

Sep 17, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #4,988 of 11,913
I bought my v2 used with about 40 hours on them and have since put over 100 hours easily. IMO it sounds the same since I bought it.

Hopefully someone in the EU can send the V3 to oratory1990 so he can measure and set up and EQ profile for them. Which would make the update redundant for me.

Sep 18, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #4,989 of 11,913
Recently bought an Arya, and it sounds fantastic! After a lot of research I figured it was the right upgrade for my venerable HD650, and I think I was right.

Now, here's my question. I just received my (custom) balanced cable, and it sounds really good, but I've got the volume on my amp set as high or higher as I did with the stock (unbalanced) cable. Am I missing something here? This is different than my experience and expectations with every other balanced connection I've had, where the the volume for the balanced connection needs to be turned down considerably vs. unbalanced. FWIW I checked the new cable with a multimeter and it is wired correctly. Anyone have any insight? I guess its possible the Arya connectors are wired wrong, but that seems unlikely.

Sep 18, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #4,990 of 11,913
Which amp do you use? Sometimes vendors put in a XLR socket just for convenience but it works unbalanced and therefore generates exactly the same amount of power like the "classical" SE outputs...

Topping A30 Pro is an example for such amps.

And if you use the WA22, check this:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/woo-wa22-balanced-vs-unbalanced-input.634551/

"
Also - from Jack Wu on email:
The WA22 is designed as a fully balanced amp from input to output. The amp is accepting a balanced input to work as designed. When RCA input is used, the input is essentially half of balanced input; thus the amp will lose about half the efficiency. The RCA input will work if the amp has a single-ended to balanced conversion built-in. For design simplicity, the WA22 accepts only balanced input.

Regarding to the outputs, all sockets delivery similar performance. The reason for multiple outputs are for people with different cable needs.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #4,991 of 11,913
Ok so, the conclusion to my comparison between the HE1000 V2 and Arya (v2). I actually am still undecided between the two, but mostly for financial reasons. I just feel weird owning a $3000 headphone, but oh boy, does it make me think it's worth it.

I'll just compare the key differences between the headphones here, without going through all the categories a typical review does. The only note I'll say about build is that I prefer the build and comfort on the HEKV2. I find its lower clamp force easier to wear for long sessions.

The main difference, for me, is presentation. What blew me away about the HEKV2 is the stage. It's significantly wider than the Arya, and more spacious all around. With the Arya I sometimes get the feeling that sounds coming from immediately left or right are too close for comfort, like coming directly from the driver and even a little behind my ears. That never happens with the HEKV2. Everything is to the side or in front, with plenty of distance and pinpoint imaging. It lays the music out in front of you like a neatly arranged banquet of sounds. However, what the Arya gives in its closer sound (though still quite spacious), is a sense of immediacy of the music. You feel it more palpably. The example that made this blatantly obvious was "Time" from the Inception soundtrack. With the HEKV2 I was listening to a musical composition. With the Arya, I was having an experience. You felt the crescendos, not just heard them. Imaging is less precise and soundstage is closer, but it takes you on a journey in a more visceral way.

Then there's timbre. There is a clear difference. Voices have more warmth and body on the HEKV2, and in most cases where the Arya made voices sound unnatural, the HEKV2 is able to fix it. Not in all cases, however. There's still a bit of unnatural brightness on some tracks, but I blame that on the mastering. Guitars and other acoustic instruments similarly have a very present "core" to the sound that almost perfectly represents them as they are in real life. A classical guitarist whose playing I know very well, Matteo Mela, was shockingly accurate. I'd never heard his guitar playing rendered so accurately on any sound system. It was like realizing "Oh yeah, that's what Matteo sounds like!" It does timbre better than an HD600...which I guess at 10X the price should be expected. The Aryas are good, but noticeably "planar" and a little thin. Textures comes out better, and sounds appear more detailed (more about that later), but the tonality is off. I prefer the HD600's timbre in that case.

Bass time. I wasn't initially a fan of the bass on the HEKV2, but it really grew on me. Not as tight and impactful as on the Arya, but actually more in quantity, and very soft/pillowy. Almost tubey. Compared with the Arya though, it lacks texture, feels a bit bloated, and isn't as immediate. But oh boy...what a comfortable feeling. Listening to Colplay's "Rush of Blood to the Head" (the song) was a trip. The bass was exactly where it needed to be. Foundational, deep, and perfectly integrated yet separate in the mix. The Arya was missing just a bit of the quantity needed IMO. Still, on other tracks, I preferred the tighter, more punchy bass of the Arya. John Scofield's "I Don't Need No Doctor" is one example. Also Jeff Beck's "Come Dancing." They both just slam a bit better on the Arya. I get into the groove more easily.

Finally detail. This is a strange area. I've heard people say the Arya is more detailed, and others say the HEKV2 is more resolving. Yes. Here's how I see it...the Arya is a more detail-forward headphone. It pushes detail at you more. Bass texture, vocal subtleties, micro-details, they're all pushed to the forefront of the mix, often in a more unnatural way. But strangely, I noticed many more new things in tracks with the HEKV2 than with the Arya. I think it's the more resolving driver overall, and because of its competence, has to force detail at you less. It's all there, like the trailing ends of tones and small nuances of a plucked guitar string, but it's not forced at you. And because it's not forced at you, it appears significantly more natural and actually easier to pick apart. Overall the detail is less compressed and "in your face." It took me a lot of listening to hear this, though, so I understand the confusion around it. But in the end, I do think that while the Arya is very technically capable, the HEKV2 clearly has the higher resolution.

So in the end it's actually kind of a tossup. Do I want a softer presentation, with more spaciousness, warmth, and cleanliness? Or a more visceral feeling, closer in, but slightly artificial and edgy? The HEKV2 is clearly a more technically capable headphone, and now that I've heard its soundstage I can't un-hear it when I go back to the Arya. But the Arya is not too far behind, and for a far more reasonable cost, though I got my HEKV2 used at a good price as well.

I hope some Arya users get the chance to try one of these bad boys out someday. I was doubtful of Crinacle's "S-" tier rating (just behind the Utopia and Susvara), but I'm not anymore. It definitely deserves it.

Sep 18, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #4,992 of 11,913
The HEK2 could be had for less than $2k new though

Sep 18, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #4,993 of 11,913
For anyone who has heard the HEKse, compared to the Arya, which one slams harder? Overall I quite like my v2 but there are times where I wish the bass would punch harder.

Sep 18, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #4,994 of 11,913
For anyone who has heard the HEKse, compared to the Arya, which one slams harder? Overall I quite like my v2 but there are times where I wish the bass would punch harder.
Low end is similar, bit easier to focus on the bass with the Arya (tl:dr He1000se takes the arya & balances it out & adds more from the mids upwards/onwards). The He1000se often seems to have a bit more low end detail depending on song. Wouldn't say either slams harder than the other though (& i have a OG D90 so yea). Probably want to look at Audeze for more low end slam.

Sep 18, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #4,995 of 11,913
Low end is similar, bit easier to focus on the bass with the Arya (tl:dr He1000se takes the arya & balances it out & adds more from the mids upwards/onwards). The He1000se often seems to have a bit more low end detail depending on song. Wouldn't say either slams harder than the other though (& i have a OG D90 so yea). Probably want to look at Audeze for more low end slam.
Have tried out the LCD 2C and the X, really liked the X but missed what the Arya could do. Was looking into possible upgrade path within Hifiman range. Good to know bass is similar at least on both, its not like Arya is lean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back