HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Sep 5, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #4,846 of 11,880
True! I once got two faulty pairs of Ananda in a row from an online retailer...only the third one came without any sound issues, but somehow the plastic on the right grill hadn't hardened properly and came out shaped a little weird. Amazing sound for the price though.
I went through 2 He1000v1's myself haha. I understand that they aren't made today but damn for that amount I was hoping for a better presentation! My copy has a slight damage on the wood but I just lived with it. Too good of a sound!

Sep 5, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #4,847 of 11,880
hey , i have never mentioned harman target in my post. i dont care if there is harman or not so READ. why are you bringing this up. even the guy above you had problems with ananda and he's embracing it for some reason , why do you have to put up with that and go through pairs until i get functioning one .

I can understand your frustration. From the other thread, I gather you bought an Ananda and it arrived faulty and you were forced to return it. You're already concerned about the QC of HiFiMan generally, now there's these measurements that seem like cause for concern about the sound too. Is that about right?

Well, the solution is pretty simple. First ignore ASR's alarming distortion measurements. You likely won't listen loud enough for any of that distortion to be audible anyway, and if you are committed to listening at 114db like the measurements use, then you won't hear that distortion for long. Ignore the craggy frequency measurements. That's just how headphones tend to measure when the graphs haven't been smoothed. If that was something that marred the sound, then such things would likely have been noted in the reviews of very reliable reviewers like Resolve, Max Settings, or Crin, to name a few.

Then, buy the Arya from somewhere with a solid return policy and a legitimate warranty. Put it on your ears, and then decide. Keep it if you like it, return it if you don't.

If you want to keep it, spend some time burning it in. Put aside the "does burn-in affect the sound" question, because the focus here is going to be on revealing any manufacturing defects before the warranty runs out. After about 50 hours, any driver defect that could cause failure is likely to have already happened and you'll be in the clear with extra warranty to spare. All the other parts of the headphone can be replaced at fairly low cost.

Lastly, don't be a dick or people will no longer want to help you. Insisting that people READ your words is condescending and not helpful on a site where people frequently have different first languages. There may be a language barrier there, and even if there is not, we are often talking about very technical or very abstract concepts. Misunderstandings are bound to happen. If someone doesn't understand you, trying rewording and expanding your post.

Sep 6, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #4,848 of 11,880
hey , i have never mentioned harman target in my post. i dont care if there is harman or not so READ. why are you bringing this up. even the guy above you had problems with ananda and he's embracing it for some reason , why do you have to put up with that and go through pairs until i get functioning one .
Haha I wish was patient enough to embrace it! I actually tried to return them for a refund after the 2nd pair, but the company accidentally sent me another replacement instead. I ended up liking the sound so much I bit the bullet :sweat_smile: Have had absolutely no problems with my open-box Arya though. The thing is solid. Good luck deciding!
I went through 2 He1000v1's myself haha. I understand that they aren't made today but damn for that amount I was hoping for a better presentation! My copy has a slight damage on the wood but I just lived with it. Too good of a sound!
Exactly. Once you find your sound, it's all over lol

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #4,849 of 11,880
1.) Those graphs that you linked to were the FR of the Ananda in relation to Oratory's and Harman's FR targets, that's why I was trying to explain them to you. Not all people consider those FR targets to be the best sounding FR.; 2.) All manufacturers (some more than others) will have quite a few lemons come off the line that may or may not be caught by QC. The design principles of planar magnetic HPs make them harder to manufacture correctly (or to as exacting standard) as a dynamic driver HP - there's bound to be some unit to unit variation whether assembled by hand or machine. I knew that going in when dealing with Hifiman, keeping in mind that I may have to deal with a return / replacement or two to get satisfactory SQ along with QC for the price I'm willing to pay. HFM has been good with replacements when I've needed them. I also try to keep in mind that in the recent past, planar magnetic cans have only been offered in the Mega-Kilo-Buck range of summit fi. They have come down in price considerably. No worries please, not trying to rustle your feathers about whatev.

Sep 6, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #4,850 of 11,880
I'm ready to get a lot of hate from this comparison, but if I'm upgrading from a Deva (wired) to the Arya's am I likely going to hear a reasonable leap in sonic quality with all other aspects controlled?

For additional context, I'd be listening to the Arya's off a JDS Element II plugged into my computer (either through Roon or Tidal). Thanks everyone!

Sep 6, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #4,851 of 11,880
I'm ready to get a lot of hate from this comparison, but if I'm upgrading from a Deva (wired) to the Arya's am I likely going to hear a reasonable leap in sonic quality with all other aspects controlled?

For additional context, I'd be listening to the Arya's off a JDS Element II plugged into my computer (either through Roon or Tidal). Thanks everyone!
No hate or judgement from me. I believe you'd get a very substantial leap in sound quality. You may need to eventually upgrade your chain to get the best sound out of the Arya though, they may sound thin if they don't get enough power.

Sep 6, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #4,852 of 11,880
HE-6se v2 is better audibly overall than the Arya. Fit and finish I'll concede.

HFM has poor QC and rubbish cables, and poor pads for the round Cans. They also use deceptive marketing techniques in selling new models lacking the quality of the names they invoke.

Sep 6, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #4,853 of 11,880

HFM has poor QC and rubbish cables, and poor pads for the round Cans. They also use deceptive marketing techniques in selling new models lacking the quality of the names they invoke.
Hi bagwell. Long time, no see. Hope you and family are well.

Sep 6, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #4,854 of 11,880
Sep 6, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #4,855 of 11,880
I had the same objectives when I purchased the Arya without a headphone amp. After reading much online, I ended up with the not so popular Kinki Studio THR-1. Just added the Denafrips Ares II DAC and things are sounding very positive so far.
There are much positive feedbacks with the Arya+Singxer SA-1combo which is well within your $800 budget.

Nice system, also thanks for the suggestion.

If they are brand new please give them time to break in / burn in / settle in / loosen up (whatever term you wish to use). They do change over time, from sounding tite n brite straight from the box to being much more relaxed and full sounding after a couple of months. They also like discrete class A amps that have a little warmth and character (not lean, sterile, or super bright). Your H16 should do well after the Arya burns in or settles. Pink noise overnights for about 7 to 14 days should make a noticeable difference. 14 days adds up to over 100 hours (HFM suggests 150 hrs). I'd try the free option before I shelled out another round of $$$ for another amp that may or may not work out, and your current amp is well regarded. It's hard to have patience but your patience will be rewarded with great sound. :wink: P.S... Not meaning to be condescending or taking your feelings light-heartedly, I'm only stating my experiences with the Arya as my primary daily driver HP.

Good advice. I got the Arya back now and I'm enjoying them a lot though with some small complaints. I will definitely give it some time and try that out thanks!
It's been about a month since I heard the Arya previously so I hesitate to say this as it's been so long and I don't have the previous version side by side, but it seems like it's not as wide/a closer presentation overall then I remembered. Maybe just unit variance or the new revision or it could just be in my head.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #4,856 of 11,880

I enjoy both very much but I give the notch to the arya for my listening preference and the way my system is set up

Sep 7, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #4,857 of 11,880
Nice system, also thanks for the suggestion.

Good advice. I got the Arya back now and I'm enjoying them a lot though with some small complaints. I will definitely give it some time and try that out thanks!
It's been about a month since I heard the Arya previously so I hesitate to say this as it's been so long and I don't have the previous version side by side, but it seems like it's not as wide/a closer presentation overall then I remembered. Maybe just unit variance or the new revision or it could just be in my head.
Mine (v2) sometimes don't seem that wide on some songs until a song comes on that has space. Then the soundstage blows up, with sounds coming from everywhere. Really impressive with the chameleon-like presentation. Adding to that, as I'm listening: It's imaging and placement of images is exceptional and really satisfying, IMO.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #4,858 of 11,880
Just got them (V3 with Stealth Magnets) in!

stealth1.jpg

cover2.jpg

cover1.jpg

Measurement1.PNG

I immediately threw them on the EARS rig and that was the result. I measured multiple times and even swapped them around to the other mics which produced the same result.

What's with that 3.5hz dip on the left channel? -6db vs right channel...

They sound great!

Sep 7, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #4,859 of 11,880
Just got them (V3 with Stealth Magnets) in!

stealth1.jpg

cover2.jpg

cover1.jpg

Measurement1.PNG

I immediately threw them on the EARS rig and that was the result. I measured multiple times and even swapped them around to the other mics which produced the same result.

What's with that 3.5hz dip on the left channel? -6db vs right channel...

They sound great!
Congrats to you on your new headphones day!!! Stealth magnets too, woohoo. Getting closer to HE1KSE and Susvara. Give them time to play in/burn in to loosen up, they'll probably even out much better after about ~50 - 100 hrs. Mine did.

Sep 7, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #4,860 of 11,880
Ok...some preliminary impressions of the HEKV2 compared to the Arya:

This thing sounds like an Arya on a very good set of tubes. More bass bloom, wider (and slightly more "in-front") soundstage, more filled in upper midrange dip, better timbre, softer attack, and much more precise imaging (if that was even possible). The presentation reminds me of a way more technically capable Edition X V2 actually. It's very natural and neutral, yet highly resolving.

It took my brain a while to adjust from the Arya, which sounds more immediate, aggressive, and detail-forward in comparison (though not necessarily more detailed), and with punchier bass. I go back and forth as to which one I prefer, since the Arya's punch and aggression, from my FA-10 anyway, is really exciting and enjoyable with the right track. But now I just can't take the HEKV2 off my head. It's so eerily inviting.

I'll post more impressions as I keep listening!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back