HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Sep 3, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #4,816 of 11,890
I'm using the H16 together with the X16 and it's enjoyable to my ears, but I just wanted a tiny bit more love in the mids. I think you're probably right, it was a brand new set and I was juggling between 5 headphones when I had them on hand I don't think I gave it enough time perhaps. I'll see how it goes when I get them back.
Pink noise overnights for a week or two - at slightly louder than normal volume - will help them burn in / loosen up pretty well. Free app called "Burn in Wave Generator" has pink noise, white noise, and test tones at the ready. That's what I used for my Arya when it was brand new. May even help take the edges off your Gustard stack (if newer) too. Give those capacitors in the output stages time to stabilize/juice up.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #4,817 of 11,890
I bet the HPA4 has a high quality discrete preamp stage or some type of discrete output stage that has an influence on it's presentation vs the cheaper THX amps. Any idea?

Not an unreasonable guess, but I could find nothing suggesting a discrete output stage after quite a bit of searching. In fact, it seems that the feed-forward error correction in the output stage would rule out a discrete components approach. I know that in general Benchmark prefers opamps because of their tighter tolerances and thus greater consistency and that they rely of that in order to lower THD+N, so I suspect they would avoid discrete components whenever possible. But, that's me speculating.

Personally, I would suspect that the higher quality power supply and very high damping factor would be the contributors to the why the HPA4 has a richer sound over the 789 and similar amps. The HPA4 just has a firmer grip on the power it delivers and so can handle delivering much bigger swings in power output without under-delivering the power or overshooting the signal. That would help it render that more natural decay to notes without artificially muddying them and also outperforming the lower priced THX amps on slam or macrocontrast. But again, that's me speculating.

What I know for sure is that the Arya is a great match with this amp. The HPA4 doesn't do it any favors when it comes to changing frequency response, but the extremely clean and controlled amp does help it make that frequency response sound its best. That might be confusing, but maybe some examples would help. The HPA4 does not increase the quantity of the bass, but it is able to keep that bass at the same level no matter how complicated the track. If bass is in the song, you'll hear it. Moreover, with the increase in bass slam or macrocontrast, the bass feels more visceral and easier to pick out, even if the headphone presents it at lower volumes. So, not more bass, but bass that is easier to notice. That's also true of the 2k dip and vocals. Likewise, the amp does not render the peaks at 3-4k or at 6k any less elevated, but its superb resolution eliminates any extra resonance, blur, or glare that might aggravate those peaks. Ultimately, it's not going to be enough to 'fix' these headphones for someone who just hates the FR, but it does give these headphones the best shot of being appealing. For some people on the cusp of liking them, pairing with this amp might be just what they need. And, if EQ is needed, it's way easier to dial that in perfectly when you're using an amp that doesn't introduce any problems or frequency adjustments of its own.

Sep 3, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #4,818 of 11,890
I`m A/B-ing between an A90 and the Burson Soloist 3XP in this moment. (Volume matched via measureing mic) While I can hear a difference in "punchiness" also and do prefer the Soloist Class-A amp over the A90, the differences are smaller to my ears than what you describe above. If this was a picture I think I would describe the perception on the solist with more saturated colours an with a higher contrast. (hope the anology makes sense...) However, this is not really about differences in tonality, I think (So, would not touch EQ). Not sure if the Soloist is really worth almost 3x the price of the A90. Instant switching reveals the differences clearly but with a few minutes in between, I`d most probably fail in a blind test to distinguish between them. Guess the headphones are still responsible for at least 90% of the experience.

fwiw i was using the arya with an A30pro/D30pro stack before i got my conductor 3xp and to me the burson was a big upgrade in terms of musicality, timbre, and soundstage. the topping stack wasn't bad by any means; on many recordings it sounded great. my main issues with it were (1) the digital glare/harshness that sometimes made piano, vocals or strings nearly unlistenable; and (2) the relatively flat/2D presentation. the burson solved both of those for me. i can now listen for hours without fatigue.

Sep 3, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #4,821 of 11,890
fwiw i was using the arya with an A30pro/D30pro stack before i got my conductor 3xp and to me the burson was a big upgrade in terms of musicality, timbre, and soundstage. the topping stack wasn't bad by any means; on many recordings it sounded great. my main issues with it were (1) the digital glare/harshness that sometimes made piano, vocals or strings nearly unlistenable; and (2) the relatively flat/2D presentation. the burson solved both of those for me. i can now listen for hours without fatigue.

That`s great and good for you that you are happy now. Maybe I`m too insenstive to feel these differences so drastically. Can you give an example of a song with nearly unlisteable strings or piano? I would like to A/B myself. Thank you.

Sep 3, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #4,822 of 11,890
That`s great and good for you that you are happy now. Maybe I`m too insenstive to feel these differences so drastically. Can you give an example of a song with nearly unlisteable strings or piano? I would like to A/B myself. Thank you.
sure but im not going to argue with you or tell you what you’re hearing is wrong. for piano try keith jarrett’s koln concert. to me, the piano sounded thin and sort of plasticky on the topping and a lot more natural on the burson. for vocals try ed sheeran’s castle on the hill or wars by of monsters and men; the topping was ruthless on those, even with the 24/96 version of the latter. this is all imo, ymmv, etc.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #4,824 of 11,890
Can anyone give me any information or reviews on the new version of the arya with the stealth magnets?

Sep 4, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #4,826 of 11,890
The Arya looks so cheaply built for some reason.
Looks somewhat cheaply built but has metal in the right places, where it matters most (inside the yokes, the headband, etc). It being light in weight is a selling point though in comparison to other cans that are quite a bit heavier.

Sep 4, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #4,827 of 11,890
i saw a review of amir on audioscience regarding ananda . arya has same roughness in freq response i wonder how similar the problems are
I won't throw shade but that "review" is not that well done, IMO, and misses the boat on Ananda's SQ. Most everyone that has heard the Ananda (w/o considering the "distortion", cough cough) can't understand why it was rated as such (self included). Arya is more full sounding, less up front, images differently, and presents details differently, IMO (depending on how they're amped).

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #4,828 of 11,890
I won't throw shade but that "review" is not that well done, IMO, and misses the boat on Ananda's SQ. Most everyone that has heard the Ananda (w/o the graphs) can't understand why it was rated as such (self included). Arya is more full sounding, less up front, images differently, and presents details differently, IMO (depending on how they're amped).
whats sq

Sep 4, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #4,829 of 11,890
Short for Sound Quality. HP for headphone. HFM for Hifiman. No worries trying to decipher my abbreviations, they may not be industry approved. :wink:

Sep 5, 2021 at 1:49 AM Post #4,830 of 11,890
I think the Arya is really amazing, but I would love to get just a little bit more vocal presence and body.
Would anyone here have a recommendation on an amp that would help in that area? I'm currently using a Gustard H16 and my budget would be around $800
I had the same objectives when I purchased the Arya without a headphone amp. After reading much online, I ended up with the not so popular Kinki Studio THR-1. Just added the Denafrips Ares II DAC and things are sounding very positive so far.
There are much positive feedbacks with the Arya+Singxer SA-1combo which is well within your $800 budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back