HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Aug 31, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #4,786 of 11,943
I feel like the build quality of Arya, like all Hifiman headphones, is a toss up. On one hand the plastic feels cheap and flimsy, but on the other hand it's very light and hella comfortable. 🤷‍♂️
What parts of the prev model did the Arya are plastic? On mine as far as I can tell the only plastic is the bit that holds the leather strap. The bit with hifiman on it that connects to the metal band And maybe the cups. But the grils, yolks and the head band are all metal

Aug 31, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #4,787 of 11,943
What parts of the prev model did the Arya are plastic? On mine as far as I can tell the only plastic is the bit that holds the leather strap. The bit with hifiman on it that connects to the metal band And maybe the cups. But the grils, yolks and the head band are all metal
The yokes are plastic. Supposedly the rev2 has a metal inner core that strengthens them because the rev1 yokes used to break often. The grills also feel plastic to me, though I'm not certain. Cups I also can't tell for sure, could be plastic or could be very thin metal. The point is it doesn't feel very substantial, but I suppose time will tell whether it holds up (see also: Sennheiser HD600... feels like cheap plastic, lasts literally forever)

Aug 31, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #4,788 of 11,943
The yokes are plastic. Supposedly the rev2 has a metal inner core that strengthens them because the rev1 yokes used to break often. The grills also feel plastic to me, though I'm not certain. Cups I also can't tell for sure, could be plastic or could be very thin metal. The point is it doesn't feel very substantial, but I suppose time will tell whether it holds up (see also: Sennheiser HD600... feels like cheap plastic, lasts literally forever)

hmmm I just did a quick weight check on mine and with no cables. 440 grams
the updated specs stickers on the box and manual book list the weight as 404.

Aug 31, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #4,789 of 11,943
I enjoy the tonality and sound of the Ananda far more than the Arya. The soundstage and separation of the Arya is undeniably superior.
I thought that would be the case for me, but with the V2 at least, I was really impressed by the tonality of the Arya and easily preferred it over the Ananda. Cool how we can each have very different impressions of the sound though!

Aug 31, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #4,791 of 11,943
I thought that would be the case for me, but with the V2 at least, I was really impressed by the tonality of the Arya and easily preferred it over the Ananda. Cool how we can each have very different impressions of the sound though!
I think a lot of the variance in impressions of Arya depend on what amp they're connected to. Arya is clear like cellophane - it's going to show you every detail of whatever you feed it. Arya + a warm amp is a very different experience than Arya + an analytical amp.

Aug 31, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #4,792 of 11,943
I think a lot of the variance in impressions of Arya depend on what amp they're connected to. Arya is clear like cellophane - it's going to show you every detail of whatever you feed it. Arya + a warm amp is a very different experience than Arya + an analytical amp.
The funny thing is I had the Ananda hooked up to a WA-6 SE with some warm sounding tubes and the Arya to my FA-10, and still prefer the Arya. So go figure… Never did try out the Arya on the WA6 though 🤔

Aug 31, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #4,793 of 11,943
The LCD-3 occupies an odd place in the Audeze line-up. It's awfully colored to be an easy recommendation for people, especially when both the old LCD-X and the LCD-2C offer a similar flavor for less money, but without such an exaggerated dip in the upper mids. Where the LCD-X and LCD-XC saw updates to the sound and a lowering of the price, the LCD-3 remains stubbornly at $2000ish. At that price, I think most people are tempted to jump up the LCD-4, which can often be found for as low as $2200 for used or b-stock. You can sometimes find used LCD-3's for around $1100, but those are harder to find than any other LCD. Seems like it's about time for an LCD-3 refresh and a lower price point.
I agree

Sep 2, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #4,794 of 11,943
Hey new to head-fi here.
I recently had the chance to listen to the LCD-X 2021 version, Arya v2, and HE6SEv2 at the same time for a couple of weeks. This was my first time listening to "mid-fi" (high-fi to me) headphones. All three headphones sounded a lot better than my DT 1990. They were all great, but the standout for me was definitely the Arya.

I really loved the separation and precise imaging, the bass texture and the soundstage. In those areas, the Arya I felt was ahead of the other two. I initially preferred the LCD-X and HE6SEv2 in the treble department, but after EQ the Arya was great in that area for me. I sent them all back a couple weeks ago to do some more research and check out other options but my ears missed the Arya too much. So I ended up ordering them again today and I can't wait to get them back.

I think the Arya is really amazing, but I would love to get just a little bit more vocal presence and body.
Would anyone here have a recommendation on an amp that would help in that area? I'm currently using a Gustard H16 and my budget would be around $800

Sep 2, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #4,796 of 11,943
Yup. I really didn't believe amps made that much of a difference until I tried a few different types/topologies at the same time. I could pretty easily pick out the chip amps from the discrete amps. Class A all the way for me.

Sep 2, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #4,797 of 11,943
Yup. I really didn't believe amps made that much of a difference until I tried a few different types/topologies at the same time. I could pretty easily pick out the chip amps from the discrete amps. Class A all the way for me.

My moment of clarity, pun intended, came when A/B'd my Audio-gd class A amp to my Benchmark HPA4 with THX. Incredibly different amps. The "loud enough = good enough" attitude was thoroughly debunked in a just a few minutes of listening. I might be the only guy here that uses such an analytical amp with the Arya, but I can at least agree with the notion of the Arya sounding very different out of different amps.

Sep 2, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #4,799 of 11,943
Hey new to head-fi here.
I recently had the chance to listen to the LCD-X 2021 version, Arya v2, and HE6SEv2 at the same time for a couple of weeks. This was my first time listening to "mid-fi" (high-fi to me) headphones. All three headphones sounded a lot better than my DT 1990. They were all great, but the standout for me was definitely the Arya.

I really loved the separation and precise imaging, the bass texture and the soundstage. In those areas, the Arya I felt was ahead of the other two. I initially preferred the LCD-X and HE6SEv2 in the treble department, but after EQ the Arya was great in that area for me. I sent them all back a couple weeks ago to do some more research and check out other options but my ears missed the Arya too much. So I ended up ordering them again today and I can't wait to get them back.

I think the Arya is really amazing, but I would love to get just a little bit more vocal presence and body.
Would anyone here have a recommendation on an amp that would help in that area? I'm currently using a Gustard H16 and my budget would be around $800
I've heard the H16 goes well w Arya, I'm using the H20. What DAC are you feeding the H16 with? That has an impact on overall SQ. Also if your set is brand new, burn in helps with tonality, bass, detail, and soundstage , IMO, before you EQ them. Mine have changed much over time.

Sep 2, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #4,800 of 11,943
My moment of clarity, pun intended, came when A/B'd my Audio-gd class A amp to my Benchmark HPA4 with THX. Incredibly different amps. The "loud enough = good enough" attitude was thoroughly debunked in a just a few minutes of listening. I might be the only guy here that uses such an analytical amp with the Arya, but I can at least agree with the notion of the Arya sounding very different out of different amps.
Some consider the Hpa4 to be the cream of the crop. Maybe not as sterile as the lower cost thx amps with Arya?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back