HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
May 22, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #3,781 of 11,942
Hmm I guess I prefer warmer sound? Would be nice if there was something that could make s sounds a little less harsh. Budget... under 500?
warmer & less harsh = tubes

*edit: oops, just realized you were talking about DACs, not amps. For warmer & less harsh DAC, Schiit Bifrost 2

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #3,783 of 11,942
Any slightly cheaper alternatives?
Modi multibit maybe? Tbh a DAC isn't going to make a huge difference, even the difference between DAC technologies (delta-sigma vs r2r) is subtle. If you're looking for warm & smooth what you want is a tube amp.

May 23, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #3,785 of 11,942
Many accept headphones as the most important component in the system, but this is not true, every component in the system is equal including cables, and neglecting one of these components degrades the whole system. Your system is as good as the worst component in the system.
Arya are expensive headphones because they require an expensive system
but that's no reason not to keep the fun going, through Arya all systems sound good

I have a real problem with this as it’s a disservice to any newbie lurking around who will read this and start wasting money. No, just no, cables are not important from an audio quality standpoint…let alone equally important to headphones, that is pure madness. You will do just fine with the stock Arya cable or any sub 50-120$ balanced cable.

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #3,786 of 11,942
Does the Arya benefit a lot from going balanced? My current DAC is a SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII which is unbalanced and I have a Singxer SA-1 on the way, would a balanced DAC be worth it?
Fully balanced would ensure higher overall signal levels and theoretically the best signal to noise ratio from input to output. I would try to go balanced all the way, even if just to not wonder 'what if' later.

May 23, 2021 at 4:47 AM Post #3,787 of 11,942
Many accept headphones as the most important component in the system, but this is not true, every component in the system is equal including cables, and neglecting one of these components degrades the whole system. Your system is as good as the worst component in the system.
Arya are expensive headphones because they require an expensive system
but that's no reason not to keep the fun going, through Arya all systems sound good
Most people operate within a budget. If you have 2000 $ to spend, would you purchase a 1000 $ headphone and a 1000 $ cable or would you purchase a 1900 $ headphone and 100 $ cable?

May 23, 2021 at 4:55 AM Post #3,788 of 11,942
Most people operate within a budget. If you have 2000 $ to spend, would you purchase a 1000 $ headphone and a 1000 $ cable or would you purchase a 1900 $ headphone and 100 $ cable?
I actually tried your theory once - 3200 for headphones and 1800 for a cable. Did it make a 5000 headphone? No it did not. Did it improve things? Yes a bit.

May 23, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #3,790 of 11,942
Fully balanced would ensure higher overall signal levels and theoretically the best signal to noise ratio from input to output. I would try to go balanced all the way, even if just to not wonder 'what if' later.
The noise and SNR levels depends on if you're talking about internal or external noise rejection. Balanced signal paths are great at rejecting external noise like RF interference and ground loops. A balanced audio component has roughly twice the number of electronic parts, though, which means twice the amount of internal noise generation. A single-ended signal path generates very little internal noise but has no way to reject internal noise.

In fairness today's balanced audio components produce internal noise WAY below the threshold of hearing, but in an all-else being equal situation, a SE circuit will produce about half the internal noise.

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #3,791 of 11,942
Hii everyone

I have arya now for maybe 10 months I use it balanced with topping A90/D90.

I have problem with it. it is really sibilance to my ears and really makes me fatigue fast. I don't know if there is solution for it or iam gonna buy warm headphone.
D90/A90 is a sharp analytical stack, plugged into Arya - a relatively dry headphone, I could see how it could come across fatiguing. You could try eq, or try a warmer amp, or get a different headphone.

May 23, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #3,792 of 11,942
D90/A90 is a sharp analytical stack, plugged into Arya - a relatively dry headphone, I could see how it could come across fatiguing. You could try eq, or try a warmer amp, or get a different headphone.
Agreed, toppings whole approach is linearity, and while it may sound impressive initially, it’s gets boring really quickly...my rme adi 2 dac also came off way too clean for me until I utilized the onboard EQ, and switching from a thx amp (also linear) to the singxer sa-1 has me in audiophile heaven these last few weeks, it’s the perfect amount of warmth and fun for my preference, I’m getting warm and fun with no detail loss, night and day difference from my old setup

May 23, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #3,794 of 11,942
Is it too early for a porter or stout??

May 23, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #3,795 of 11,942
to be honest I can't stand arya in many recordings some of them get better in well mastered music but also not forgiving in other music the sibilance percing my ears. I tried eq it but it did not work(iam noob in eq I just took others eq profile). I don't know if another solid amp will give me the forgiving warmth like the tubes. so iam thinking to buy another headphone and I have my eyes in the hd6xx.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back