HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Feb 2, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #3,046 of 11,944
Enjoying Arya!!

Periaptcables came in today after a long slow battle with an overwhelmed national postal service.

Quick question about poles (I think that’s the correct term?) where the cable plugs into the headphones.. The Balanced Replacement cables have 1 pole on each side. The black cable that shipped with Arya has 2 on each side. Is this because their single ended? What’s the difference and what are they for?

Chibs
I personally don’t think it makes a difference between stereo or mono plug but the Norne cable I have has the same 3 pole setup as your OEM pictured, the Stellia OEM balanced has the mono 2 pole pictured from your custom cable but the Norne cable seems to work for both and was ordered for the Stellia.
I am going to try making my own cable soon and I have the mono connectors so I will see if there is any noticeable difference on the Stellia.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 12:20 AM Post #3,047 of 11,944
I personally don’t think it makes a difference between stereo or mono plug but the Norne cable I have has the same 3 pole setup as your OEM pictured, the Stellia OEM balanced has the mono 2 pole pictured from your custom cable but the Norne cable seems to work for both and was ordered for the Stellia.
I am going to try making my own cable soon and I have the mono connectors so I will see if there is any noticeable difference on the Stellia.
Only 2 poles are connected on the oem Arya plugs. 2 conductors on each side.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #3,048 of 11,944
Only 2 poles are connected on the oem Arya plugs. 2 conductors on each side.
Correct, one positive ( pin / tip ) and one negative being the post on a mono plug. On the stereo plug the position of negative post is below the other post position as in this diagram as a positive tip, positive first section of post, negative on balance of post on stereo plug. So as long as a stereo jack is used the negative post of the plug will always make contact wether a stereo or mono plug is used.
Screenshot_20210203-120046_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Feb 7, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #3,049 of 11,944
Hi, I'm listening to Ananda BT on LG V30 (UAPP, TIDAL MQA) as my daily driver. I'm intrigued by Arya as a upgrade.

Is LG V30 good enough source for Arya that can drive/manage this HP successfully? Or using better DAC/Amp can move Aryas sound to next level? LG is rooted so no problem modding it to high impedance output if it matters.

I've no opportunity to listen to the music siting, I need to move around. :frowning2:

Thank you for your advice, kind regards,

Milan

Feb 7, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #3,050 of 11,944
Hi, I'm listening to Ananda BT on LG V30 (UAPP, TIDAL MQA) as my daily driver. I'm intrigued by Arya as a upgrade.

Is LG V30 good enough source for Arya that can drive/manage this HP successfully? Or using better DAC/Amp can move Aryas sound to next level? LG is rooted so no problem modding it to high impedance output if it matters.

I've no opportunity to listen to the music siting, I need to move around. :frowning2:

Milan
My advice... find some time to sit down so you can listen to a desktop setup :L3000: Arya loves power especially if you listen to dynamic music (classical). but if thats not possible I think your ananada bt cant be beat for sound quality and convenience. You could also use arya with a dap or even a bluetooth receiver like qudelix 5k but it wont compare to desktop setup. Also you will need a balanced cable,

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #3,051 of 11,944
My advice... find some time to sit down so you can listen to a desktop setup :L3000: Arya loves power especially if you listen to dynamic music (classical). but if thats not possible I think your ananada bt cant be beat for sound quality and convenience. You could also use arya with a dap or even a bluetooth receiver like qudelix 5k but it wont compare to desktop setup. Also you will need a balanced cable,
Thank you for your opinion. I've little time to sit and enjoy music, little kids.. you know.. maybe. :) I'm 80% decided I'll try open box Arya and see if it works for me. :)

Feb 7, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #3,052 of 11,944
Really feel these headphones need a lot of break in to truly find themselves. I won't mention how many hours I have logged but I have one ear with some tinnitus. And it will get irritated by any gear as it goes through the different break in phases.

The Arya can be played quite loud now without bothering my ear at all and they sound great at moderate volumes. Also experimenting with very slight EQ around 5hz but I'm not sure it will be necessary.

Really satisfied with Hifiman. Love the way these look and feel too. Pure customer satisfaction.

Feb 7, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #3,053 of 11,944
Aryas are revealing enough and inefficient enough that you will probably end up wanting to power them with a better amp. Your upstream equipment and its limitations will present itself a bit more. The lack of power, will present itself mostly in the lows, as the power requirement is unequal throughout the frequency range.

I wouldn't personally use any headphone that sells for over $600, with a cellphone for serious listening. Non serious listening could include when I'm on vacation, and don't want to carry my rig around.

Milan

Milan

Feb 7, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #3,054 of 11,944
Thank you for your opinion. I've little time to sit and enjoy music, little kids.. you know.. maybe. :) I'm 80% decided I'll try open box Arya and see if it works for me. :)
one should spend their money how they see fit, that said my .02 as I sit here listening to the Arya on a v30 in my quiet zone with Tidal MQA it does sound good considering this is a cell phone it definitely lacks articulation, body and slam seems cut in half and the volume is at 70 to achieve my normal listening levels compared to a good dap or home rig. I would think much of the beauty of the Arya would be lost in the environment you are using them in being open backs with kids running around but if you’re currently using a open back you must be used to it. My suggestion would be if your going to invest into the Arya as portable solution invest in a quality DAP to drive them and because your use is around the house you can connect through wi fi and when you do have quiet time you will appreciate the difference between the headphones much more. FWIW I retired my v30 and purchased a m11 pro for portable use and it gets me close enough to a home rig to be satisfied although I would love to listen to the new ibasso DX300 even if it is double the price of the m11 pro.
have you ever considered a closed back or do you need the open back so you can still hear the kid’?

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021 at 5:51 AM Post #3,055 of 11,944
Hello all!
Found a good price on the Aryas and I went ahead and ordered them.
I currently have the ifi zen dac and I was thinking of adding the zen can for more power.
I'm going to use them only balanced.
Do you think this is sufficient amplification for the Aryas? zen can: 11.0V/1890 mW (@ 64 Ohm)
Or a Topping A50s is the way to go? Thank you for your feedback!

Feb 8, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #3,056 of 11,944
Did this ever happen? I’m interested in the Arya for gaming but have seen a few reviews which said it wasn’t so good. Which is really surprising because I think the ananda is great for gaming. Especially when you want vertical imaging. Overall would love your opinions on the Arya for gaming.
I'm late to the party on this response. The Arya is incredible for gaming. It's the best headphone I've used for gaming, and I've used many - from the 800S to the DT990.

Feb 8, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #3,057 of 11,944
Hello all!
I currently have the ifi zen dac and I was thinking of adding the zen can for more power.
Do you think this is sufficient amplification for the Aryas? zen can: 11.0V/1890 mW (@ 64 Ohm)
You and Arya might be better served by the amp with a discrete circuit and LPS (Schiit Asgard for example as a minimum). EI transformer and capacitors you see in the sample photos will allow Arya to reach its full potential.
1612797179970.png
1612797202965.png

Feb 8, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #3,058 of 11,944
one should spend their money how they see fit, that said my .02 as I sit here listening to the Arya on a v30 in my quiet zone with Tidal MQA it does sound good considering this is a cell phone it definitely lacks articulation, body and slam seems cut in half and the volume is at 70 to achieve my normal listening levels compared to a good dap or home rig. I would think much of the beauty of the Arya would be lost in the environment you are using them in being open backs with kids running around but if you’re currently using a open back you must be used to it. My suggestion would be if your going to invest into the Arya as portable solution invest in a quality DAP to drive them and because your use is around the house you can connect through wi fi and when you do have quiet time you will appreciate the difference between the headphones much more. FWIW I retired my v30 and purchased a m11 pro for portable use and it gets me close enough to a home rig to be satisfied although I would love to listen to the new ibasso DX300 even if it is double the price of the m11 pro.
have you ever considered a closed back or do you need the open back so you can still hear the kid’?
Thank you for your valuable opinion. I've only time to listen mostly when kids go to the bed (10-11pm) and I'm making my houshold work after them, so it is quiet (hooray :) but I can't by wired to one place. :frowning2: I'm enjoying Anandas BT for their sense of space and airiness, my closed back Amirons are missing this feeling so no way back for me. :frowning2: I've ordered Arya HP yesterday already. I think I'll try Qudelix-5K what can it do with Aryas at beginning. So let the journey begin...

Feb 8, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #3,059 of 11,944
Hello all!
the Arya scales quite well they even sound ok on my v30 but my suggestion is to read this whole thread to get a idea what people have experienced thus far when it comes to different amps and driving the Arya, amp / headphone synergy also play a big part. there are plenty of experiences with the Arya and different amps in this thread many great parings at different price points to fit almost any budget It’s more expensive but the micro iDSD Signature might also be a good match.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #3,060 of 11,944
Thank you for your valuable opinion. I've only time to listen mostly when kids go to the bed (10-11pm) and I'm making my houshold work after them, so it is quiet (hooray :) but I can't by wired to one place. :frowning2: I'm enjoying Anandas BT for their sense of space and airiness, my closed back Amirons are missing this feeling so no way back for me. :frowning2: I've ordered Arya HP yesterday already. I think I'll try Qudelix-5K what can it do with Aryas at beginning. So let the journey begin...
Your ears will love it your wallet not so much, the journey can become expensive but we all must have some indulgences. Have you looked at the XDUOO XD-05 Plus and the BT module that fits it might be a good portable alternative and it has 1mw output. Let us know what you end up with and your impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back