HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Sep 11, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #2,431 of 11,883
Yeah, treble is a little hot when brand new. It mellows out a bit when the driver breaks in more. You can also EQ down the 4kHz and 8kHz peaks a bit in the meantime:

https://www.headphones.com/blogs/news/hifiman-arya-review-a-planar-hd800s
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lpakp0jc4deruwr/Hifiman Arya (RME ADI-2 preset).pdf?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nu2bf4le1k87n5v/Hifiman Arya.pdf?dl=0

Alright I just copied the 4k and 8k tweak from one of those and now its definitely easier to listen to, for now, thanks :]

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #2,432 of 11,883
What is everyone's choice amp combo with their Aryas? I have a feliks audio Elise for my high impedance cans and an smsl SP200 for my planars. Obviously the Elise and the Aryas just dont play nice together but the SP200 also seems to be just a little underpowered or something... it's definitely not quite where it needs to be. Using the Elise as preamp through the SP200 brings it up a notch but still not there for me. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Sep 12, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #2,433 of 11,883
Guys do you think the ZMF Co Pilot Pads improve the compfort and value of the Arya Headphone? And should they placed on the strap in the middle? Otherwise you have to remove the strap and place it on the top

Sep 14, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #2,434 of 11,883
Alright I've had some days and time with the Aryas now and man I do love these things for a lot of songs/genres I was hoping they do well. Older stuff and vocal tracks sound ****ing phenomenal, instrumental based music is just about perfect to my ears and in general the soundstage/imaging/separation are all so tastefully done, definitely the best headphone in these aspects I have owned. These are also by far the best gaming headphones I have ever owned, not even close and I am extremely happy about that, its a pure pleasure to game in these things.

But, and this is a big but, I feel like it makes certain songs and sounds actually sound a bit too "tinny" and thin. Going back to my original question for "Top 40" music I asked here, as an example: Maroon 5's album "Hands All Over" from 2010 just sounds wrong, almost the whole thing sounds thin. Vocals and the sounds behind him singing don't sound full/warm enough and I cant stop paying attention to it. I also tried various metal songs/bands (One example being Motionless in White) and the exact same thing goes on, It all just sounds like a variety of a bit too tinny sounds going around me and I cant really get into the music, at all.

Not sure if I should keep these headphones for what they do right and try to find a more complimentary headphone or try to try out another $1k+ headphone that might suit me a bit better and sacrifice some stuff this does so well. I read the whole thread at this point and I've seen some people here have similar comments that moved to the LCD3's and were very happy, so I am heavily looking at that direction. Wish I could find more comparisons online between the two.

Also I definitely understand it could be my Dac/Amp combo, but I don't have any budget left to upgrade those beyond what I have. If I need to spend an extra $300-$500 to get these to sound right then that's just too much money for me right now =/

Sep 14, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #2,435 of 11,883
Alright I've had some days and time with the Aryas now and man I do love these things for a lot of songs/genres I was hoping they do well. Older stuff and vocal tracks sound ****ing phenomenal, instrumental based music is just about perfect to my ears and in general the soundstage/imaging/separation are all so tastefully done, definitely the best headphone in these aspects I have owned. These are also by far the best gaming headphones I have ever owned, not even close and I am extremely happy about that, its a pure pleasure to game in these things.

But, and this is a big but, I feel like it makes certain songs and sounds actually sound a bit too "tinny" and thin. Going back to my original question for "Top 40" music I asked here, as an example: Maroon 5's album "Hands All Over" from 2010 just sounds wrong, almost the whole thing sounds thin. Vocals and the sounds behind him singing don't sound full/warm enough and I cant stop paying attention to it. I also tried various metal songs/bands (One example being Motionless in White) and the exact same thing goes on, It all just sounds like a variety of a bit too tinny sounds going around me and I cant really get into the music, at all.

Not sure if I should keep these headphones for what they do right and try to find a more complimentary headphone or try to try out another $1k+ headphone that might suit me a bit better and sacrifice some stuff this does so well. I read the whole thread at this point and I've seen some people here have similar comments that moved to the LCD3's and were very happy, so I am heavily looking at that direction. Wish I could find more comparisons online between the two.

Also I definitely understand it could be my Dac/Amp combo, but I don't have any budget left to upgrade those beyond what I have. If I need to spend an extra $300-$500 to get these to sound right then that's just too much money for me right now =/

You definitely might find something more in line with your preference in the Audeze line-up (would also recommend trying something of Focals), but I would recommend sitting with the headphones for a week or so if you can. I don't believe in burn-in periods, but I do know at least brain burn-in is real. You're probably very used to a certain sound signature, and because this is new your brain somewhat instinctively may not like it. If you're restricted by return periods, etc. then don't wait. But if you aren't give em some time!

Sep 14, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #2,436 of 11,883
I relate to what you describe. I love my Aryas with acoustic music, folk, jazz classical, bluegrass etc. But for rock, metal and most pop I prefer my Audeze LCD-X. But then the LCD-X aren't as good on the aforementioned acoustic genres.

My solution is to own both and switch to the one that is best for each genre/recording.

Sep 14, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #2,437 of 11,883
I relate to what you describe. I love my Aryas with acoustic music, folk, jazz classical, bluegrass etc. But for rock, metal and most pop I prefer my Audeze LCD-X. But then the LCD-X aren't as good on the aforementioned acoustic genres.

My solution is to own both and switch to the one that is best for each genre/recording.
Those two go very well together

Sep 14, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #2,439 of 11,883
You definitely might find something more in line with your preference in the Audeze line-up (would also recommend trying something of Focals), but I would recommend sitting with the headphones for a week or so if you can. I don't believe in burn-in periods, but I do know at least brain burn-in is real. You're probably very used to a certain sound signature, and because this is new your brain somewhat instinctively may not like it. If you're restricted by return periods, etc. then don't wait. But if you aren't give em some time!

Oh I wouldn't be returning them, it would be cheaper to sell them for me then to return them (As I would have to pay a 12% fee for the return) so I have more or less as much time as I want with them. I wasn't saying I exactly want to do it right now, just writing out my thoughts so far as I've been going from "These are the greatest headphones I've had" to "These are not to my liking and I'm not sure its worth the keeping price" multiple times a day lol

I also have a pair of LCD2-Classics, I'm waiting on some new earpads to see if they can compliment these more. But the issue is the LCD2 Classics highs are too tamed for me and are missing the "sparkle", which I hoped the Arya would address and it did...... but it went a bit too far in that area and removed too much from the warm side of sound. I would be looking for something in between, which is why I'm considering LCD3s aka the brightest pair from the Audeze LCD line. Haven't really considered the LCD-X because I hear there's way too much variance and they all sound different, not exactly wanting to gamble lol

I am also considering the Focal line, specifically the Clears. My only experience is the Elegia which didn't impress me, but I understand that's the weakest headphones they make so I'm trying not to judge too much from that.

Sep 14, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #2,440 of 11,883
I have read many times on the internet that the LCD-X is considered the brightest in the LCD line-up and also the most neutral profile. That is why I went for LCD-X from their line-up. I have heard the "poor Quality Control" complaint made about all the Audeze headphones!

But there is still quite a difference in brightness between the Arya and the LCD-X. So I often tweak the EQ a bit - typically a slight treble boost for the LCD-X and a slight treble cut for the Arya. Depends on the music genre and the individual recording......

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #2,441 of 11,883
Quick questions guys and gals:

I have a Fiio M15 - and I have a balanced 4.4 cable for my Arya - is that Fiio powerful enough to drive the headphones you think? I'm getting very good volume - is that the thing to go for so to say?
Arya need 1200mv to sound okish...but still lacking in terms of bass impact + dynamic and sound stage..

I would suggest a desktop amp with at least 4000mv to drive it.

m15 has 800mv at 32ohm.....so no...it will.sound loud enough..but u will not able to drive Arya to its potential.

Sep 15, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #2,442 of 11,883
Just bought a pair of Arya's and I should have them by Friday so I'll have the weekend to give them a good listen. Since these will be my last pair of headphones I get for a long time as the extra money I had is now gone I hope they sound as good as I'm expecting them to. I have the Sundara and Ananda which I will be selling if I like the Arya a lot and I'm guessing I will. I took a few weeks to decide what I was going to get and after looking at the Arya, Fostex TH900 and 909, and the Sony MDR-Z1R I felt like the Arya ticks more of the boxes on what I was looking for.

Sep 15, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #2,443 of 11,883
I wish you luck. With the honeymoon period over, I'm content saying that the Arya's are my open end game. Hopefully they will be for you as well.

Sep 16, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #2,444 of 11,883
I hope so too but if for some reason I don't like them I have 30 days to return them which makes me feel more comfortable spending as much as I did. From reading and watching all the reviews they seem to have the sound I'm looking for and if they are a better version of the Ananda then I'm going to like them a lot.

Sep 16, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #2,445 of 11,883
You've got the Arya and LCD-2, that ought to cover most genres. Both would like a beefier SS amp. Maybe you could sell off your current amp, DAC, and perhaps your 400's (or other not much used item(s)) and snag a Lyr3 w/ the multibit DAC in it?

You get 6 wpc@32 ohms, a fairly warm sound that still has a taut bass, and maybe the best cheap DAC I've heard. The DAC isn't as good as my Gumby, but its neutral/warm as opposed to cold/analytical as many DAC's can be.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back