HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Sep 10, 2020 at 1:10 AM Post #2,416 of 11,945
Such a great guy. Here in India, the Hifiman dealer didn't have stock of the headphone, but happily collected my money and sat on it for > 2 months, until the stocks arrived. Talk about being fair.
Anyway coming back to Arya, Congratulations on your acquisition. Give it time to burn in, both physical and mental. It took me ~200 hours to reach its optimum performance, anywhere before that, it was thin, a bit harsh in the treble.
Who is that headphonezone.in?

Sep 10, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #2,418 of 11,945
Yeah same. But they had a price cut going on at the time, and it amounted to about 1450$, So I had to make-do. Since they are the only Hifiman dealer in India, I didn't have a choice.
Yes unfortunately they are the only dealers for many brands in India.
I understand how frustrated you were at the time.
I bought a few things from them but never had any issues though. I read alot of reviews that they don't respond well when you have any issues.

I am thinking of buying Ananda very soon as Arya is clearly out of my budget right now and I mostly use them on portable gear.

Sep 10, 2020 at 2:51 AM Post #2,419 of 11,945
Yes unfortunately they are the only dealers for many brands in India.
I understand how frustrated you were at the time.
I bought a few things from them but never had any issues though. I read alot of reviews that they don't respond well when you have any issues.

I am thinking of buying Ananda very soon as Arya is clearly out of my budget right now and I mostly use them on portable gear.
It was during lockdown, around March end, the product showed on the website to be in stock, but after I completed the payment, I get a mail from them telling me coyly, that the product is not available and will only arrive after 2 months. The same thing happened when I purchased my Hugo 2 from them. They do have a large selection of music equipment, but they don't give any sort of sensible offers/deals, they price every product irrespective of release date to their max value.

If I remember right, they have an unboxed pair of Ananda for INR 60k. You can check it out as it will be under company warranty. Or you could go for a new one for INR 75K, But I wouldn't recommend them at full retail price, as lot of sellers are giving them on big discounts. My suggestion would be to wait a bit, till some status quo is reached between India and China, So that you can order directly from Hifiman store on AliExpress, China.

Sep 10, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #2,420 of 11,945
Damn, if this was in the US I'd just file a chargeback with my card company and be done with it in a day. Also I would've probably complained directly to HifiMan as I'm sure they don't really want a authorized dealer doing stuff like that.

I'm definitely planning on giving them time, I'm not going to be returning them so I'm in no rush. I'm more already looking for a nice "Hip-Hop only" headphone to compliment the Aryas because I'm just assuming I'll love them and keep them, but guessing they will lack the punch I want for that genre. My music listening is 50% Hip-Hop and 50% everything else/all other genres. Thinking if this works out for the everything else part, I can sell the LCD2's and get something more specific (I bought LCD2 Classics for a overall headphone, I don't think I'll need it if I keep the Arya now that I think about it.)

Looking @ a Meze 99 for when I need that bass/mid 1-2 punch if I want to go on a budget or maybe even upgrade to something like a ZMF Atticus if I really want what should be end game hip-hop headphones (But this would be later down the road). I was never completely impressed with the LCD2's specifically for Hip-Hop, more overall enjoyed it as a safe sound for all genres.

Anyway, one step at a time. Getting the Arya's on Friday and will go from there! Maybe it'll surprise me for Hip-Hop as well, who knows *Shrugs*

I will definitely be buying from Bloom if they sell the headphones I want :] Not the biggest selection though
hi congratulation about ur new arya!!

for me arya at first was a little harsh - bright- congested and very uncomfortable(squeezing my head) but with time it become more comfortable and smooth- more open and very enjoyable headphone with my A9/D9.

At first really I missed the punch feeling in arya and the vocals to me little bit reccesed so I eq it with oratory file and it is much better for me now If u are into eq try it and see if u will like it or not. the punch is really good for me after eq. I didn't tried a heavy bass punchier headphone before thats why I think I can't comment about how is arya punch hard compare to other bass canons.

I Oratory file https://www.dropbox.com/s/lpakp0jc4deruwr/Hifiman Arya (RME ADI-2 preset).pdf?dl=0

Sep 10, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #2,421 of 11,945
You can keep the LCD-2 for Hip-hop, since they are bass heavy and sound intimate. The Arya may not be the best for hip hop, it's comparatively airy and has a "tall" sound, and the mild treble emphasis won't help either. I believe The LCD-2s with the Arya are a great 1-2, for your music needs.

Yeah that's what I read so I'm not expecting it to be good for Hip-Hop, but I have also seen enough people say it works well so I'll leave my judgement for when I test them.

Anyway the issue with the LCD2's for me is that my classic pair came with fairly recessed mids and to fix that I had to buy Dekoni Velour Pads.... Which absolutely fixed the mids and brought them forward enough that it sounds natural/intimate! But, it reduced the bass just enough that it feels like I'm missing a bit of punch for hip-hop that the original pads had. If its going to be used a single genre headphone I'm going to need to address the issue or I'll always feel like I'm missing something.

I love the LCD2s, they were the first headphones I ever dreamed of in my initial Hi-Fi journey and when I finally owned them they actually met my expectations! But I'm going to need to find some different pads that bring the bass back and keep the mids forward at the same time if I'm going to keep them for purely Hip-Hop. As much as I adore them I also know my specific pair isn't perfect for this one genre purpose. Just the Audeze variance/lottery lol

Tough decisions for me. I'm going to try and keep them, explore different pad options, but I'm not sure my specific pair will end up working so I'm already considering/researching other HP's :]

@Kashen2020

I'll keep it in mind. I don't like EQ much because it doesn't work in Wasapi/ASIO for Qobuz and its a pain trying to match windows sound settings to all the different rates songs come in without those modes. But if it Helps It's something I'll consider :]

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #2,422 of 11,945
Yeah that's what I read so I'm not expecting it to be good for Hip-Hop, but I have also seen enough people say it works well so I'll leave my judgement for when I test them.

Anyway the issue with the LCD2's for me is that my classic pair came with fairly recessed mids and to fix that I had to buy Dekoni Velour Pads.... Which absolutely fixed the mids and brought them forward enough that it sounds natural/intimate! But, it reduced the bass just enough that it feels like I'm missing a bit of punch for hip-hop that the original pads had. If its going to be used a single genre headphone I'm going to need to address the issue or I'll always feel like I'm missing something.

I love the LCD2s, they were the first headphones I ever dreamed of in my initial Hi-Fi journey and when I finally owned them they actually met my expectations! But I'm going to need to find some different pads that bring the bass back and keep the mids forward at the same time if I'm going to keep them for purely Hip-Hop. As much as I adore them I also know my specific pair isn't perfect for this one genre purpose. Just the Audeze variance/lottery lol

Tough decisions for me. I'm going to try and keep them, explore different pad options, but I'm not sure my specific pair will end up working so I'm already considering/researching other HP's :]

@Kashen2020

I'll keep it in mind. I don't like EQ much because it doesn't work in Wasapi/ASIO for Qobuz and its a pain trying to match windows sound settings to all the different rates songs come in without those modes. But if it Helps It's something I'll consider :]
for me Eq the headphone with oratory file(it is just copy - past the values in the app and u will have the changes) it make the hip hop and punchy music more enjoyable u should try it. and If u wanna use eq u can use apss in the pc it not necessary from the dac it self. for me personally I use eq apo - peace.

Sep 10, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #2,423 of 11,945
I noticed even after 300 hours of break in, that my Arya is still harsher than a demo unit, I auditioned weeks ago. Also, I noticed imbalances in the higher region. So asked somebody to measure my unit.
That’s the result:
A94CC38C-D7F2-443C-BB93-15CD146C6315.jpeg

I am not really happy with it. The strange 5khz peak on one side with 10dB difference to the other side. And the rest seems really off to me.

Sep 10, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #2,424 of 11,945
I noticed even after 300 hours of break in, that my Arya is still harsher than a demo unit, I auditioned weeks ago. Also, I noticed imbalances in the higher region. So asked somebody to measure my unit.
That’s the result:
I am not really happy with it. The strange 5khz peak on one side with 10dB difference to the other side. And the rest seems really off to me.
Hi,
I hope that you would've listened for a minimum of 100 hours within the 300 hour burn in period, because your brain also needs to be accustomed to the sound. Also, fR curve doesn't show burn in changes and also, when seeing an fR graph, the peaks are not the real trouble makers, but the sudden rises/dips. Arya typically has a peak in the 5.5 khz region and the 8.5 khz. You can always EQ those two areas, but you will lose air and treble extension in the process, as this produces treble roll-off.
For me, I felt the Arya started to settle around 165 hours and reached its potential somewhere around 200-225 hours. Right now I maybe around 300 hours of head time, and they sound warm, smooth and airy. The treble seldom bothers me, even in fast paced treble heavy songs. So if the signature seems to bother you even after such a long burn in, you can either EQ it or sell it and move on.
Regards

Sep 10, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #2,425 of 11,945
I said, that I had no problem with my demo Unit. My brain didn’t need time to break in. I think it’s really obvious that this driver matching is far from perfekt. When you EQ the rise at 5khz on the one side, you will get the experience from the demo unit. So there ist something wrong with my Arya.

Sep 11, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #2,426 of 11,945
That’s the result:
That definitely does not look right. Maybe contact Hifiman as the driver matching error is pretty evident on that measurement rig.

Sep 11, 2020 at 3:54 AM Post #2,427 of 11,945
Is there someone who was able to compare Arya vs HE6se ?

Sep 11, 2020 at 4:35 AM Post #2,428 of 11,945
Check the 6SE thread, there are comparisons. Maybe I posted it in another thread though

Sep 11, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #2,429 of 11,945
Alright so I've been listening for a good half day now, These are definitely something special and one of the best/most detailed headphones I have ever heard and owned. Female vocal tracks in particular sound so so good on these! The bass, the soundstage, the comfort are all so damn good, I really love the sound here :] The main issue I'm discovering so far is that they are fairly hot/sibilant at the volume I seem to want to push them to.

If I listen to them at about 90% of the volume I want they do an amazing 10/10 job, but turning it up to that last 10% ruins it and turns all the higher end/pitched sounds sibilant. I will let them burn in along with my ears getting used to them for now but I was really hoping that wouldn't be the case. I may have to start looking at a better amp pairing, but I already spent my budget on the headphones themselves so getting something better is going to be hard for me right now if that is indeed the issue.

Sep 11, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #2,430 of 11,945
The main issue I'm discovering so far is that they are fairly hot/sibilant at the volume I seem to want to push them to.
Yeah, treble is a little hot when brand new. It mellows out a bit when the driver breaks in more. You can also EQ down the 4kHz and 8kHz peaks a bit in the meantime:

https://www.headphones.com/blogs/news/hifiman-arya-review-a-planar-hd800s
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lpakp0jc4deruwr/Hifiman Arya (RME ADI-2 preset).pdf?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nu2bf4le1k87n5v/Hifiman Arya.pdf?dl=0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back