HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Oct 11, 2019 at 4:43 AM Post #1,291 of 11,881
Halving power output reduces volume by 3dB so I would still say it will drive them fine at and above comfortable listening volume. Of course, it is a good idea to audition some more powerful amps. But I would not buy without being able to test. There might be no improvement. My Marantz HD-DAC1 was rated at 800mW and I used it with Aryas at low gain.

Oct 11, 2019 at 7:25 AM Post #1,292 of 11,881
Just a side note - planars present almost no load to amplifier and are mostly current driven.
So all is good when we are talking about class A or A/B amps with decent size transformer.
It is way more complicated when we are talking about class D amps.

Oct 12, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #1,294 of 11,881
I'm so torn between Ananda and Arya... Thing is Hifiman gives me discount to upgrade my Sundara, so it's either upgrade for Ananda for $250 or to Arya for $1000, so literally Arya will cost me 4x Ananda's:beyersmile:. But on other hand Arya new for a $1000 looks so delicious, athrough no money for a new amp will be left.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2019 at 12:27 AM Post #1,295 of 11,881
I'm so torn between Ananda and Arya... Thing is Hifiman gives me discount to upgrade my Sundara, so it's either upgrade for Ananda for $250 or to Arya for $1000, so literally Arya will cost me 4x Ananda's:beyersmile:. But on other hand Arya new for a $1000 looks so delicious, athrough no money for a new amp will be left.
Where is the upgrade option advertised? I would gladly upgrade my Sundara (I love them, but, c'mon!)

Oct 12, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #1,298 of 11,881
Unfortunately, my Aryas stopped working properly after a few months. I hear buzzing noise from bottom of right can. It is particularly audible when playing ~300Hz tones and sub bass. I have recorded both channels with ultra-cheap mic and it confirms the problem:
310-Hz-left-right.jpg

I removed earpad and found mechanical (I think) damage of driver:

Kinda disappointing. Checked left can and there is similar wrinkle but much smaller. I am afraid it might get bigger over time. Looks like a design problem to me. I am going to return them to shop for warranty repair next week. Here is sound demo of this issue: https://vocaroo.com/i/s00SHsGoEHLk. Recording of 310Hz tone, left channel, right, left, right.

Oct 12, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #1,299 of 11,881
I removed earpad and found mechanical (I think) damage of driver

Need to view the full resolution image (option) to see the defect more clearly. Note the proximity to the jack plug, wondering if it has something to do with it.

For discussion... That apparent damage isn't part of the actual driving mechanism and not attached to the diaphragm. Seems it could be an indicator of more going on beneath the surface. Still seems very odd. Could it be stress induced by something related to the plug and cable? Could it have something to do with a recently mentioned possible design change? Hifiman doesn't have a great reputation for durability although they've supposedly improved over the years.

I've had my Arya running constantly for months and had no issue. Accumulating thousands of hours run time. Knock on wood. But I treat them with care and respect, having never cranked them.

Oct 12, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #1,300 of 11,881
Need to view the full resolution image (option) to see the defect more clearly. Note the proximity to the jack plug, wondering if it has something to do with it.
(...)
Could it have something to do with a recently mentioned possible design change
I wonder the same. In left can wrinkle is visible in same place. But much smaller.

But I treat them with care and respect, having never cranked them.
Same here. I keep them only on stand and my head. Never put them on desk or something like that.

Oct 14, 2019 at 2:30 AM Post #1,302 of 11,881
Unfortunately, my Aryas stopped working properly after a few months. I hear buzzing noise from bottom of right can. It is particularly audible when playing ~300Hz tones and sub bass. I have recorded both channels with ultra-cheap mic and it confirms the problem:
310-Hz-left-right.jpg

I removed earpad and found mechanical (I think) damage of driver:

Kinda disappointing. Checked left can and there is similar wrinkle but much smaller. I am afraid it might get bigger over time. Looks like a design problem to me. I am going to return them to shop for warranty repair next week. Here is sound demo of this issue: https://vocaroo.com/i/s00SHsGoEHLk. Recording of 310Hz tone, left channel, right, left, right.
Hi there,

Sorry to hear that. If you could please email us at Customerservice@hifiman.com so we can see how to help you.

Thank you!

April

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Oct 14, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #1,304 of 11,881
Hi there,

Sorry to hear that. If you could please email us at Customerservice@hifiman.com so we can see how to help you.

Thank you!

April

Hello Hifiman Support,

As a prospective buyer of Arya or Ananda, I'd love to hear what you typically do in these cases -- do you typically repair the unit or issue a new replacement? Just asking as it seems there are number of issues reported in the Ananda and Arya thread related to QC. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back