HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Oct 15, 2019 at 10:20 PM Post #1,306 of 11,873
Hm, it's quite sad I can't find to try Arya somewhere here, I actually quite interested in them, but I'm not sure about their design looking at pictures and videos. I have some health problem and it affected my hands, so I can't grab headphones by their cups, instead I tend to grab by headband, spread it a little bit and take it over the head. I had Sundara and it was no problem with its traditional oval-shape headband. But arya's headband has some weird design, it seems to it's quite challenging to take it by headband that way? Also, guys, cups do swivel a lot? I mean, will be they keep their position while you take it by headband or they live their lives in the air so you need hold them?
Thanks for advice.

Oct 16, 2019 at 1:27 AM Post #1,307 of 11,873
Oct 16, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #1,309 of 11,873
Well, I'm russian, so sorry guys, my english may be so awful sometimes:o2smile:

Not at all - I knew this was a translation from another language into English but it's lovely! Poetic and humourous - quite the opposite of awful!

Oct 16, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #1,310 of 11,873
Unfortunately, my Aryas stopped working properly after a few months. I hear buzzing noise from bottom of right can. It is particularly audible when playing ~300Hz tones and sub bass. I have recorded both channels with ultra-cheap mic and it confirms the problem:
310-Hz-left-right.jpg

I removed earpad and found mechanical (I think) damage of driver:

Kinda disappointing. Checked left can and there is similar wrinkle but much smaller. I am afraid it might get bigger over time. Looks like a design problem to me. I am going to return them to shop for warranty repair next week. Here is sound demo of this issue: https://vocaroo.com/i/s00SHsGoEHLk. Recording of 310Hz tone, left channel, right, left, right.
Just as i was about to pull the trigger on the Aryas this weekend and order them, I see this post... now im pulling the emergency break and going to wait and see what happens.
Please inform me of all the steps Hifiman customer service offered you. My condolences on this uneasy situation. nobody wants to come across this on 2,100$+ headphones after a few months. one would think they'd be flawless for years and years and years based on how much we're paying.

Also has this issue happened to many other people or are you so far the only one to bring this up to attention?
also i see you mentioned perhaps that it could be due to cables... are you using the cables provided or after market? if so, which ones?

Oct 16, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #1,311 of 11,873
Just as i was about to pull the trigger on the Aryas this weekend and order them, I see this post... now im pulling the emergency break and going to wait and see what happens.
Please inform me of all the steps Hifiman customer service offered you. My condolences on this uneasy situation. nobody wants to come across this on 2,100$+ headphones after a few months. one would think they'd be flawless for years and years and years based on how much we're paying.

Also has this issue happened to many other people or are you so far the only one to bring this up to attention?
also i see you mentioned perhaps that it could be due to cables... are you using the cables provided or after market? if so, which ones?
All I can say is check the various threads.....this has happened to just about all of the TOTL headphones. From Meze, to Audeze to definitely Focal. It’s how well customer service steps in and remedies the situation. Seems like Hifiman has done a good job lately with that lately.

Oct 17, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #1,312 of 11,873

I wouldn't like to discourage you from buying Aryas. They really do wonders to music. And are super comfy! A have never met any other person with this issue. Neither here nor in polish audio forums. I haven't contacted Hifiman customer service regarding this issue yet. Probably I will aim for warranty repair in my country. I am waiting for shop owner coming back from holidays. Regarding cable, I am using custom made one with Viablue 3.5mm plugs. According to Hifiman manual, Arya uses standard 3.5mm plug and cable can be easily changed. So it should not be a problem IMO. 3.5mm plug is a standard and should not matter whether stock one or not. On the other hand, place of deformation is very close to plugs in both channels. Hard to say if this cable is coincidence or not.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #1,313 of 11,873
I wouldn't like to discourage you from buying Aryas. They really do wonders to music. And are super comfy! A have never met any other person with this issue. Neither here nor in polish audio forums. I haven't contacted Hifiman customer service regarding this issue yet. Probably I will aim for warranty repair in my country. I am waiting for shop owner coming back from holidays. Regarding cable, I am using custom made one with Viablue 3.5mm plugs. According to Hifiman manual, Arya uses standard 3.5mm plug and cable can be easily changed. So it should not be a problem IMO. 3.5mm plug is a standard and should not matter whether stock one or not. On the other hand, place of deformation is very close to plugs in both channels. Hard to say if this cable is coincidence or not.
That is reassuring and im glad that you're hopefully going to get the repaired/replaced. I feel after spending so much on a headphone there should be some kind of protection or brand warranty to honour such a top tier headphone.
I'll be getting mine in a few weeks hopefully unless delays occur.
but keep me updated regardless :) !

Oct 17, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #1,314 of 11,873
Hm, it's quite sad I can't find to try Arya somewhere here, I actually quite interested in them, but I'm not sure about their design looking at pictures and videos. I have some health problem and it affected my hands, so I can't grab headphones by their cups, instead I tend to grab by headband, spread it a little bit and take it over the head. I had Sundara and it was no problem with its traditional oval-shape headband. But arya's headband has some weird design, it seems to it's quite challenging to take it by headband that way? Also, guys, cups do swivel a lot? I mean, will be they keep their position while you take it by headband or they live their lives in the air so you need hold them?
Thanks for advice.

I have the similar HEX v2 and I never evaluated them in the way you need to use them. Any chance you can try this at a dealer? HFM are not known for being well built at the price points. Good luck.

Oct 17, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #1,315 of 11,873
I have the similar HEX v2 and I never evaluated them in the way you need to use them. Any chance you can try this at a dealer? HFM are not known for being well built at the price points. Good luck.
That's the problem. Unfortunately, there is no hi-fi store anywhere close to me. I need to go to Moscow to pay visit to hi-fi store, but it's 8 hours on the road.

Oct 17, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #1,316 of 11,873
Hey there,

If you decide you want them but want to try for a better price, I can PM you the link for where I got them (Canadian company). I don't have their permission to offer strangers sales at discounts so I won't post it online, but I got them for $1795 CDN and 2-day free shipping. I got them in early May and they are on my head right now. I've had no issues with any failure and I made sure they offered the warranty for any issues which they agreed to. It's the standard 1 year warranty as they are an authorized dealer so it's the service everyone gets.

I treat mine very well, but they are still a Hifiman product, so who knows how long a headband or yolk will last over the coming years. It's a risk I am willing to take for the incredible sound these things make. :)

Oct 17, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #1,317 of 11,873
I've never used the cable that the Arya came with for even a second. It's still coiled up in the box. I went right to balanced cables and the 3.5mm end is an industry standard so if you don't build one with knock off connectors of a random length, I can't see why there would be any problems.

Oct 20, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #1,319 of 11,873
I use Room's Design FS. It is tall enough, perfectly fits head strap and does not deform ear pads. Also, design is IMHO awesome. There is wide color variety to choose from.

(click to enlarge)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back