HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Dec 24, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #196 of 11,880
Yeah, I have the monolith. It's a solid amp, but not convinced it's an improvement over my iDSD Micro BL, which is just a much more practical amp all around. I do like dirac sensaround, but I wish there were a dedicated button for that and EQ.

Oh wow, you have my Ideal setup, the Monolith & the Arya. Could you give us some insight on the Monolith amp/dac THX AAA? I'm planning on buying a similar amp/dac in order to connect my Ananda/Arya via Balanced cables. Also, I need to connect my PC via USB and my Pro-Ject Turntable via RCA unbalanced. Any regrets on that amp/dac? how's the sound quality?

Dec 24, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #197 of 11,880
Oh wow, you have my Ideal setup, the Monolith & the Arya. Could you give us some insight on the Monolith amp/dac THX AAA? I'm planning on buying a similar amp/dac in order to connect my Ananda/Arya via Balanced cables. Also, I need to connect my PC via USB and my Pro-Ject Turntable via RCA unbalanced. Any regrets on that amp/dac? how's the sound quality?

Mine's a review unit, but I think it's a decent amp/DAC. The Arya are currently my hardest to drive headphones, and this drives them well, so that's good enough for me. Dirac Sensaround works well for making a soundstage more 3D without too much coloration, and the EQ is effective.

Main cons are the annoying navigation - there's no manual, so you need to guess about some features.

I've heard there's slight hhisswith very sensitive IEMs, but I haven't had the chance to try that yet.

Dec 24, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #198 of 11,880
Mine's a review unit, but I think it's a decent amp/DAC. The Arya are currently my hardest to drive headphones, and this drives them well, so that's good enough for me. Dirac Sensaround works well for making a soundstage more 3D without too much coloration, and the EQ is effective.

Main cons are the annoying navigation - there's no manual, so you need to guess about some features.

I've heard there's slight hhisswith very sensitive IEMs, but I haven't had the chance to try that yet.

ok, I don't like IEM's I prefer an all around the ears headphone like the ones mentioned above. When you say decent is that better than the Jot/lyr3?

Dec 24, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #200 of 11,880
The iDSD BL was one of the few amps I've owned that played well with every headphone in my collection. It's just sounds right to my ears. My Utopia's, HEK V2's, HD800S's, LCD-4's, T1.2's and many others I own or have owned all sounded detailed and musical out of the iDSD BL. I sold it for the Gilmore Lite Mk2 which lacks the power and some of the musicality of the iDSD BL but does other things I like. The Gilmore Lite Mk2 is a just little more detailed and refined by comparison. But you can't go wrong with either amp as they are two of my favorite mid-fi amps that competes well above their price range. If I had to pick one of these amps for Hifiman gear it would be the iDSD BL. It has more drive as and XBass+ fills in the sub bass regions very, very nicely.

Dec 24, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #201 of 11,880
The iDSD BL was one of the few amps I've owned that played well with every headphone in my collection. It's just sounds right to my ears. My Utopia's, HEK V2's, HD800S's, LCD-4's, T1.2's and many others I own or have owned all sounded detailed and musical out of the iDSD BL. I sold it for the Gilmore Lite Mk2 which lacks the power and some of the musicality of the iDSD BL but does other things I like. The Gilmore Lite Mk2 is a just little more detailed and refined by comparison. But you can't go wrong with either amp as they are two of my favorite mid-fi amps that competes well above their price range. If I had to pick one of these amps for Hifiman gear it would be the iDSD BL. It has more drive as and XBass+ fills in the sub bass regions very, very nicely.

Yep. If you need one of the monoprice's particular features, like the balanced output go for that. Dirac Sensaround is clearly better than ifis 3D+ on the Micro BL (it's better in later iFi devices like the xCan and xDSD). But the Micro BL can't be easily for versatility and power. I'm not one who believes much in DACs having a big influence.

Anyway, the Monoprice is good. Just has a clumsy UI.

Dec 24, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #202 of 11,880

My iDSD died on me a few weeks after purchase, it's portable another no no for me. When you run that amp/dac from battery it soubso different then when running of USB.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #204 of 11,880
That's fair, just stating my preferences as those are the ones I have. Get the Monoprice, I think you'll be happy.

If it drives the Arya and Ananda's with no pproblem then that will be the one. Thanks man.

Dec 25, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #205 of 11,880
Yep. If you need one of the monoprice's particular features, like the balanced output go for that. Dirac Sensaround is clearly better than ifis 3D+ on the Micro BL (it's better in later iFi devices like the xCan and xDSD). But the Micro BL can't be easily for versatility and power. I'm not one who believes much in DACs having a big influence.

Anyway, the Monoprice is good. Just has a clumsy UI.

Could you compare the Arya and Elegia, as you have heard both? Especially in the bass department. I want bass that slams, kicks, hits when it's in the track, but one that does not muddy the mids.The audiophile kind of precise and powerful bass.

Dec 25, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #206 of 11,880
Could you compare the Arya and Elegia, as you have heard both? Especially in the bass department. I want bass that slams, kicks, hits when it's in the track, but one that does not muddy the mids.The audiophile kind of precise and powerful bass.

Arya - these have some of the best bass I've heard on any headphone. It hits super hard and gives a more speaker-like impact than pretty much any headphones I've tried because of the huge drivers and pads.

Meanwhile the bass is IMO the worst part of the Elegia. The sub-bass is nice and very extended, but the upper bass is too recessed and it makes it sound a bit hollow Fast? Sure. Realistic? Meh. Fun? Nope.

It works for some genres, but I can't imagine many people who prioritize bass would enjoy them as their only or primary headphones.

For a closed back, the Denon D9200 has much more appealing bass than the Elegia. It has just as good a sense of dynamics/transients as the focals, but with a far preferable overall bass presentation.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018 at 3:13 AM Post #207 of 11,880
Arya - these have some of the best bass I've heard on any headphone. It hits super hard and gives a more speaker-like impact than pretty much any headphones I've tried because of the huge drivers and pads.

Meanwhile the bass is IMO the worst part of the Elegia. The sub-bass is nice and very extended, but the upper bass is too recessed and it makes it sound a bit hollow Fast? Sure. Realistic? Meh. Fun? Nope.

It works for some genres, but I can't imagine many people who prioritize bass would enjoy them as their only or primary headphones.

For a closed back, the Denon D9200 has much more appealing bass than the Elegia. It has just as good a sense of dynamics/transients as the focals, but with a far preferable overall bass presentation.

Thanks mate, your impressions have been priceless.

Dec 25, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #208 of 11,880
Have to agree with everyone that Arya has awesome bass. Too bad it’s built has left me moving on to Ether 2, hopefully I won’t miss the Arya too much

Dec 25, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #210 of 11,880
Has anyone had a chance to compare the Ayra to the HE-1000 V2?

I have the same question and i would like to know what the HEK V2 does that the Arya does not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back