HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Nov 23, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #11,251 of 11,884
Honestly, meze lyric is easily the best closed back ive ever heard (excluding golden lxc-xc, but those are as rare as hens teeth), so this could be promising.
Tho, the new-ish beyer 700pro is genuinely great, and easily matches meze's stuff for build quality at a lower price, so meze better pull out there a-game if they want to compete :p

Nov 23, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #11,255 of 11,884
I concur with @Shooter86's assessment. When you become intimate with properly done EQ, you learn there is no magic to any particular headphone's frequency range that cannot be explained by the magnitude and phase versus frequency response (unless it is managing to introduce substantial "euphonic" distortions like might be the case with the YH5000se or original HEDDphone), and the specifics of how that headphone couples with your own ears. E.g. I've experienced the case where after EQing multiple headphones to the "same" headphones.com target, errors due to differences between the GRAS test head and my own ears caused the Meze Elite to have "sweeter" guitar tones, but at home, I discovered the midrange boost relative to my Arya Stealth and was then able to experimentally transfer the "sweetness" EQ to the Arya and the "clarity" EQ to the Elite. Before claiming that matching two headphones with EQ is not possible, acquire for yourself a pair of in-ear microphones and a means like a head-strap else tape to prevent their being disturbed, hence ensuring more consistent measurements, then use that as a means for measurably matching the frequency responses. So far, the only things that I believe cannot be corrected by EQ are looks, earpad comfort preference and subjective effects (part of "presentation"), major differences in null/notch location and sharpness, distortion performance, and at least when limited to minimum-phase EQ, the transient sharpness, cleanness, and quality (contributes to "presentation").

So for existing owners of the Arya Stealth, I certainly recommend EQ. For folks looking to get an Arya for the first time, I do recommend the Arya Organic as likely being superior in build and giving a better unEQed sound, and maybe marginal improvements to the driver quality (distortion etc.).

Anyways, I will soon learn whether there are actual subjective and objective improvements between the Arya Stealth and HE1000se for me.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #11,256 of 11,884
I concur with @Shooter86's assessment. When you become intimate with properly done EQ, you learn there is no magic to any particular headphone's frequency range that cannot be explained by the magnitude and phase versus frequency response (unless it is managing to introduce substantial "euphonic" distortions like might be the case with the YH5000se or original HEDDphone), and the specifics of how that headphone couples with your own ears. E.g. I've experienced the case where after EQing multiple headphones to the "same" headphones.com target, errors due to differences between the GRAS test head and my own ears caused the Meze Elite to have "sweeter" guitar tones, but at home, I discovered the midrange boost relative to my Arya Stealth and was then able to experimentally transfer the "sweetness" EQ to the Arya and the "clarity" EQ to the Elite. Before claiming that matching two headphones with EQ is not possible, acquire for yourself a pair of in-ear microphones and a means like a head-strap else tape to prevent their being disturbed, hence ensuring more consistent measurements, then use that as a means for measurably matching the frequency responses. So far, the only things that I believe cannot be corrected by EQ are looks, earpad comfort preference and subjective effects (part of "presentation"), major differences in null/notch location and sharpness, distortion performance, and at least when limited to minimum-phase EQ, the transient sharpness, cleanness, and quality (contributes to "presentation").

So for existing owners of the Arya Stealth, I certainly recommend EQ. For folks looking to get an Arya for the first time, I do recommend the Arya Organic as likely being superior in build and giving a better unEQed sound, and maybe marginal improvements to the driver quality (distortion etc.).

Anyways, I will soon learn whether there are actual subjective and objective improvements between the Arya Stealth and HE1000se for me.
For some reason I think the windows options are better than mac. I have not had great results with the mac software offerings.

Nov 26, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #11,262 of 11,884
I’m driving them with AK SP3000 and it drive them really well, and they sound amazing.

Nov 26, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #11,263 of 11,884
Arya Stealth is my first and only Arya. To me, even on the Stealth the highs can be an issue. if the recording has a tendency toward sibilence, the Stealths will convey the sibilenence. My understanding has been that the Stealth is supposed to be the most "forgiving" of the Aryas in the highs. If this understanding is not correct, pls let me know.

In all other ways the Arya Stealths are exemplary.

Nov 27, 2023 at 3:38 AM Post #11,264 of 11,884
Arya Stealth is my first and only Arya. To me, even on the Stealth the highs can be an issue. if the recording has a tendency toward sibilence, the Stealths will convey the sibilenence. My understanding has been that the Stealth is supposed to be the most "forgiving" of the Aryas in the highs. If this understanding is not correct, pls let me know.

In all other ways the Arya Stealths are exemplary.
I would say it greatly depends on how the headphones interact with your own ears' physiology, whereby while you might hear a peak at a certain frequency, it may not be as pronounced for others, else may be located at a different frequency. For me, even something like the Sennheiser HE-1 or Stax SR-X9000 (both of which I had the chance to hear and measure with in-ear microphones) can use some EQ to tame peaks specifically perceived with my ears, said peaks being best detected by listening to sine sweeps and pink noise.

Nov 27, 2023 at 5:17 AM Post #11,265 of 11,884
They may expose the S toward some mild sibilance to me. however I don’t find it strident or harsh. Imho

Users who are viewing this thread

Back