HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Aug 31, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #10,803 of 11,921
Thanks for all the equalizer tips & links everyone much appreciated. 👍
Just a small hint maybe. On HeadFi people often try to discourage others from using EQ. In many cases (not all), for some people it is just easier to click on the buy button than spending the time to experiment with EQ. I would highly recommend making your own experience and not being discouraged. I haven't seen any HP until now that doesn't benefit from EQ'ing.

Aug 31, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #10,804 of 11,921
I think the general consensus among EQers is that digital or DSP EQ implementations are plenty transparent enough if not indeed most of the time superior to analog implementations, though I guess there can be some convenience to having physical knobs. There are also some who prefer to use a streamer or vinyl as opposed to a PC, placing more constraints on what kinds of EQ software they can use. I personally haven't heard any (nonlinear/harmonic) "distortions" introduced by digital EQ provided that you properly set "digital preamps" to prevent the EQed digital signal from clipping, and provided that your headphone of choice doesn't have high distortion in the region that you are EQing upward (distortion versus frequency isn't always published for every headphone model, but you generally don't want to have to EQ a region up by 10 dB to get to your desired target). I think some complain that EQing one frequency "messes with the others", which I suppose is technically true for parametric EQ per its applying Gaussian filters that inherently overlap with others, but that is only a slight inconvenience when trying to match a specific EQ curve, that inconvenience being resolved with the use of "variable-band graphic EQ" as offered by Equalizer APO which allows individual parts to be easily adjusted without affecting the others. There is then the question of minimum-phase versus linear-phase EQ filters, whereby I believe it is the former that is most suitable for correcting transducers while the latter is best for mixing without introducing phase issues, but at the cost of some ringing artifacts.

Otherwise, at this point, I would say, choose the headphone with low distortion which when EQed to your preferred target (unless you are in fact in love with the stock tuning) presents said tonality with your preferred "presentation", say, soundstaging/imaging (I personally find this more related to earpad size and driver size and distance), earpad size/comfort, and transient qualities, "impact", or "tactility". To me, the "best" headphone is the one with your favourite "presentation" (and perhaps looks) which you can feel confident can act as a "chameleon" in implementing any EQ profile of your desire without increasing the headphone's own distortion to noticeable levels.

Aug 31, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #10,805 of 11,921
Just ordered the Organic and should arrive this weekend. Looking forward to them.

Aug 31, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #10,806 of 11,921
I think the general consensus among EQers is that digital or DSP EQ implementations are plenty transparent enough if not indeed most of the time superior to analog implementations, though I guess there can be some convenience to having physical knobs. There are also some who prefer to use a streamer or vinyl as opposed to a PC, placing more constraints on what kinds of EQ software they can use. I personally haven't heard any (nonlinear/harmonic) "distortions" introduced by digital EQ provided that you properly set "digital preamps" to prevent the EQed digital signal from clipping, and provided that your headphone of choice doesn't have high distortion in the region that you are EQing upward (distortion versus frequency isn't always published for every headphone model, but you generally don't want to have to EQ a region up by 10 dB to get to your desired target). I think some complain that EQing one frequency "messes with the others", which I suppose is technically true for parametric EQ per its applying Gaussian filters that inherently overlap with others, but that is only a slight inconvenience when trying to match a specific EQ curve, that inconvenience being resolved with the use of "variable-band graphic EQ" as offered by Equalizer APO which allows individual parts to be easily adjusted without affecting the others. There is then the question of minimum-phase versus linear-phase EQ filters, whereby I believe it is the former that is most suitable for correcting transducers while the latter is best for mixing without introducing phase issues, but at the cost of some ringing artifacts.

Otherwise, at this point, I would say, choose the headphone with low distortion which when EQed to your preferred target (unless you are in fact in love with the stock tuning) presents said tonality with your preferred "presentation", say, soundstaging/imaging (I personally find this more related to earpad size and driver size and distance), earpad size/comfort, and transient qualities, "impact", or "tactility". To me, the "best" headphone is the one with your favourite "presentation" (and perhaps looks) which you can feel confident can act as a "chameleon" in implementing any EQ profile of your desire without increasing the headphone's own distortion to noticeable levels.
If you anyway need to do a 10 dB change, maybe it is better to find a better HP than losing your time with the incompetence of the HP designer. My base HPs are DCA Stealth and Expanse which are very low distortion. All other factors of comfort, weight, look and feel etc. are top notch. The tuning is excellent. Expanse even has a "built-in EQ" that increases the airiness and treble if you move the HP forward and up - actually opposite direction of the recommended one. Interestingly does not work with Stealth. I often do not use any EQ with them. But the caveat is the efficiency. This is where HFM HPs come into picture, and why I am/was interested in Organic.

I still didn't decide for the Organic, though - I ordered it from the Chinese market but they didn't release it there (it is more expensive in the EU market and in the US). I came back from CanJam with 3 HPs in mind - Organic, Meze Elite and HEDDphone2 - but still didn't make the move. I am very intrigued by HEDDphone2 but it is again very power hungry. I have the original HEKv2 which I snatched from the second hand market recently and it is excellent after an EQ, but I have an itch for one of these three - just for the sake of trying something new. I don't know, or I know...I should just stop.

I personally don't want to buy any desktop units anymore. If a HP requires a nuclear reactor to sound acceptable, it is out of the picture - which is why I sold my Susvara. I use streaming, Qobuz, so I need an Android device which can EQ at the system level, but I also had enough of the hiccups Poweramp EQ and Wavelet cause. Also these do not work with BT and USB modes. Recently I decided to try the A&K DAPs, and even though I had no nice feelings for A&K and their over-expensive devices, the fact that EQ and crossfeed work out of the box without any issues with Qobuz and even in BT and USB DAC modes, is just a nice feeling. I am waiting for my CA1000T to arrive tomorrow, which I hope will be my ultimate listening device.

Aug 31, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #10,807 of 11,921
If you anyway need to do a 10 dB change, maybe it is better to find a better HP than losing your time with the incompetence of the HP designer. My base HPs are DCA Stealth and Expanse which are very low distortion. All other factors of comfort, weight, look and feel etc. are top notch. The tuning is excellent. Expanse even has a "built-in EQ" that increases the airiness and treble if you move the HP forward and up - actually opposite direction of the recommended one. Interestingly does not work with Stealth. I often do not use any EQ with them. But the caveat is the efficiency. This is where HFM HPs come into picture, and why I am/was interested in Organic.
There are no headphones with excellent detail and a good-enough bass shelf, IMO. So using EQ for a bass shelf rather than compromising sound quality will always be my choice. Many have listened to the DCA flagships and found them too closed in, which is an attribute not shown in FR graphs.

Aug 31, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #10,808 of 11,921
There are no headphones with excellent detail and a good-enough bass shelf, IMO. So using EQ for a bass shelf rather than compromising sound quality will always be my choice. Many have listened to the DCA flagships and found them too closed in, which is an attribute not shown in FR graphs.
I can concur that when comparing the DCA Expanse with the (Harman EQed) Meze Elite during my audition (I originally rooted for the former from a measurements perspective, though the latter apparently has fantastic bass distortion), though the ear space didn't seem too lacking, while the tonality was "probably perfect", I disliked how the pads felt, and it lacked the wonderful huge planar presentation of the Meze Elite and Arya Stealth. Likewise, at least as driven by the FiiO K9 Pro ESS on high gain, transients felt a bit duller compared to other headphones which could perhaps be expected from the damping, though their decays were cleaner. The presentation lacked "tactility". I would still give that it had excellent bass quantity. I'd say I also didn't like the feel of the Expanse's build compared to the Elite.

Anyways, presently saving up for a Stax SR-X9000 (well, I can already go ahead and fetch it from the shop if to be initially driven with the EHA5 while saving up for the Mjolnir Audio Carbon CC (primarily as "audio bling"), but I am prioritizing first getting a pair of Genelec 8341As with GLM to calibrate the tonality of an Earfish binaural headtracking solution)... My EQing journey has basically led me to the final search for the lowest distortion, a minimum of resonances, and the sharpest transients with the fastest decays. And I have the feeling that other than in impact and bass quantity, it will probably give me what I am looking for better than the Audeze CRBN would.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #10,809 of 11,921
DCA Expanse is a semi open HP. It leaks in very little ambient noise. Also the 1-3 kHz gain is high compared to both Elite and Arya/HEK. The treble is not "airy". All these contribute to the closed in feeling, and the smaller driver results in a smaller image. But as said, I often don't need any EQ with it, but of course that has a lot to do with the music I listen to.

Build quality is also, for me, far better than any other HP. Elite felt too clunky compared to HFMs and DCAs. But I liked the Elite, as it is super easy to drive. It should be, for a portable preferring person like me, be the holy grail but just couldn't get over the clunky build after using HFMs and DCAs for a long time.

I spent too much these days and a big cleanup is imminent which will leave two HPs and one source only. But I am still thinking of letting one in before closing the doors and deciding on the winners.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #10,811 of 11,921
I ordered an Organic just to see if it was something that I could use. I liked the lightness and clarity of the Stealth so I got it from headphones.com knowing I could return it. When I got the package I thought wow this does not look like a $1200 headphone. Plain box, mediocre cable, and nothing. It looks like a $500 item at best. The fit is light and very comfortable and sound is open and agreeable but it should be $800 or $900 max. I'm shocked.

Aug 31, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #10,812 of 11,921

I still didn't decide for the Organic, though - I ordered it from the Chinese market but they didn't release it there (it is more expensive in the EU market and in the US). I came back from CanJam with 3 HPs in mind - Organic, Meze Elite and HEDDphone2 - but still didn't make the move. I am very intrigued by HEDDphone2 but it is again very power hungry. I have the original HEKv2 which I snatched from the second hand market recently and it is excellent after an EQ, but I have an itch for one of these three - just for the sake of trying something new. I don't know, or I know...I should just stop.

I personally don't want to buy any desktop units anymore. If a HP requires a nuclear reactor to sound acceptable, it is out of the picture - which is why I sold my Susvara. I use streaming, Qobuz, so I need an Android device which can EQ at the system level, but I also had enough of the hiccups Poweramp EQ and Wavelet cause. Also these do not work with BT and USB modes. Recently I decided to try the A&K DAPs, and even though I had no nice feelings for A&K and their over-expensive devices, the fact that EQ and crossfeed work out of the box without any issues with Qobuz and even in BT and USB DAC modes, is just a nice feeling. I am waiting for my CA1000T to arrive tomorrow, which I hope will be my ultimate listening device.
The reason I bought the schiit Lokius was because I use Astell&kern daps (sp1000m & sr25 mk2) for my desktop setup which consists of the a90 descrete & hifiman ef400.
I have never used the built in Astell&kern equalizer as yet but I suppose I could integrate that aswell as the Lokius. The reason I prefer my daps is because I often use them piggy backed to my ifi audio micro idsd signature & the fostex hpv1 mobile devices. All my music comes in the form of ripped cds in Flac using my astell&kern cd ripper. Sorry for the off subject rant but couldn't help myself lol.

Attachments

• 16935171281726530636988079779732.jpg
    16935171281726530636988079779732.jpg
    853.3 KB · Views: 0
Aug 31, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #10,813 of 11,921
I ordered an Organic just to see if it was something that I could use. I liked the lightness and clarity of the Stealth so I got it from headphones.com knowing I could return it. When I got the package I thought wow this does not look like a $1200 headphone. Plain box, mediocre cable, and nothing. It looks like a $500 item at best. The fit is light and very comfortable and sound is open and agreeable but it should be $800 or $900 max. I'm shocked.
Did you listen to it for a few hours before trying your previous daily driver?

Aug 31, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #10,814 of 11,921
yes Then went back and forth. Of course they are nothing close to the Atrium but actually they are quite good for a wide range of genres. I needed something I could take to my yoga studio while classes were happening. The atriums are not something i want to move around. Also I don't like putting in and taking out the cables frequently on those. I like very forward vocals and mid for large orchestral pieces, .But these also have some snappy bass and treble. AND they are extremely comfortable and easy to listen to,

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #10,815 of 11,921
yes Then went back and forth. Of course they are nothing close to the Atrium but actually they are quite good for a wide range of genres. I needed something I could take to my yoga studio while classes were happening. The atriums are not something i want to move around. Also I don't like putting in and taking out the cables frequently on those. I like very forward vocals and mid for large orchestral pieces, .But these also have some snappy bass and treble. AND they are extremely comfortable and easy to listen to,
Have you tested out the LCD-5? They are a very mid focused headphone. In my experience, I used the LCD-5 for a few days before going back to the Arya v2. Immediately I thought the Arya was broken because it sounded lifeless and dull, but that was just because I had become accustomed to the LCD-5 sound signature. While the Arya had it's pros, the cons compared to the LCD were just too much so I sold them. I'm waiting in line for the HEKv2 SE with hopes that it fixed what the Arya got wrong, since I do like the comfort and sound stage of hifimans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back