HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Aug 12, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #8,131 of 11,881
I would like to bring the TA 30 into play again.
The thing harmonizes incredibly well with the Arya

20220801_220537 (1).jpg

Aug 12, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #8,132 of 11,881
I always wonder how I upgrade my beloved Arya v2. My sight was set on the Susvara, but the amp discussions in that forum is very intimidating. Now that Hifiman is clearing out the Hek v2, I decided to give this a try for the generally positive reviews and opinions. I did not consider the Hek SE despite its many positive properties and good reviews because I am sensitive to treble and sibilance which cause me headaches and fatigue.

The most immediate impression of my new hek is that female vocals sound a lot closer and louder to me than I otherwise preferred and used to with my arya. I frantically tried everything I can imagine, and what I found after several weeks of comparisons are these:

The hek is definitely more mid forward compared to the arya. I enjoy the laid-back presentation of the arya dearly, that nothing is too loud, and I can listen for hours and hours without fatigue. With the hek, I initially have to turn down the volume just a little with female vocals. However, other than this, the hek obviously has a lot more clarity and airiness that I soon find myself enjoying it more than my good old arya. With the arya, I might be sitting at row 50, but with hek, I might be sitting at row 20 instead. Yes, it is louder, but strangely it does not make me feel tiring at all. I still reluctant to say the mids of arya is recessed though.

Besides this alleged "issue", for everything else the hek is definitely superior.

For starters, comfort. The arya is very comfortable. The hek is even more comfortable despite its being slightly heavier.

Treble. I agree that the hek treble is smoother. On a particularly sibilant track, I must skip with the arya (and all other headphones I have). But with the hek, I can finish listening to the song, though barely.

Bass. The general consensus is that this hek is softer. For me, I just can’t substantiate this while comparing to the arya. With certain strong bass tracks, the hek is actually presenting a noticeably stronger bass. Also, the bass of the hek is a bit more pleasant for some reason.

Soundstage. The clarity and airiness of the mids and treble may have enhanced the sensation of the hek stage size.

Imaging. Definitely more precise with the hek. Very noticeable with orchestral music.

Timbre. The hek presented quite an improvement with violins. To a lesser degree the pianos. Instruments generally sound better. And I finally noticed the plasticky timbre that everybody talked about with the arya with a drum sequence when comparing against the hek, however the arya does not bother me a bit at all.

I bought the hek initially as a back up to my arya. Now I found myself to leave the arya as a back up to the hek instead. The mid forward issue is only brought out in female vocals in the form of just being louder. Once I get used to it, it stopped being an issue, and I find myself enjoying the many pleasant characteristics that I did not notice with the arya. As of my personal opinion, the hek v2 is indeed an upgrade to the arya v2.

Aug 13, 2022 at 2:47 AM Post #8,133 of 11,881
It's late night after a day of work and a couple of drinks, I find myself prefer the "distant" sound presentation from the arya. It feels softer and quieter. The additional clarity and resolution from the hek produces too much information for my tired brain to process. My good old arya v2 still shines with its ability. It refuses to be relegated to the cabinet. :)

Aug 13, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #8,136 of 11,881
What is more interesting is the placement of the Hekse. It's the stealth version of Hekv2 but way more expensive like almost twice. Arya v2 to Arya SE same price.
The HEKSE is the newest, and the one comparable to the Arya SE. The old HEKV2 is basically being cleared out, hence the price, obviously over manufactured.

Aug 13, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #8,137 of 11,881
How long does it take for the Arys Stealth to break in? And how is the sub-bass?

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 2:23 AM Post #8,138 of 11,881
I always wonder how I upgrade my beloved Arya v2. My sight was set on the Susvara, but the amp discussions in that forum is very intimidating. Now that Hifiman is clearing out the Hek v2, I decided to give this a try for the generally positive reviews and opinions. I did not consider the Hek SE despite its many positive properties and good reviews because I am sensitive to treble and sibilance which cause me headaches and fatigue.

The most immediate impression of my new hek is that female vocals sound a lot closer and louder to me than I otherwise preferred and used to with my arya. I frantically tried everything I can imagine, and what I found after several weeks of comparisons are these:

The hek is definitely more mid forward compared to the arya. I enjoy the laid-back presentation of the arya dearly, that nothing is too loud, and I can listen for hours and hours without fatigue. With the hek, I initially have to turn down the volume just a little with female vocals. However, other than this, the hek obviously has a lot more clarity and airiness that I soon find myself enjoying it more than my good old arya. With the arya, I might be sitting at row 50, but with hek, I might be sitting at row 20 instead. Yes, it is louder, but strangely it does not make me feel tiring at all. I still reluctant to say the mids of arya is recessed though.

Besides this alleged "issue", for everything else the hek is definitely superior.

For starters, comfort. The arya is very comfortable. The hek is even more comfortable despite its being slightly heavier.

Treble. I agree that the hek treble is smoother. On a particularly sibilant track, I must skip with the arya (and all other headphones I have). But with the hek, I can finish listening to the song, though barely.

Bass. The general consensus is that this hek is softer. For me, I just can’t substantiate this while comparing to the arya. With certain strong bass tracks, the hek is actually presenting a noticeably stronger bass. Also, the bass of the hek is a bit more pleasant for some reason.

Soundstage. The clarity and airiness of the mids and treble may have enhanced the sensation of the hek stage size.

Imaging. Definitely more precise with the hek. Very noticeable with orchestral music.

Timbre. The hek presented quite an improvement with violins. To a lesser degree the pianos. Instruments generally sound better. And I finally noticed the plasticky timbre that everybody talked about with the arya with a drum sequence when comparing against the hek, however the arya does not bother me a bit at all.

I bought the hek initially as a back up to my arya. Now I found myself to leave the arya as a back up to the hek instead. The mid forward issue is only brought out in female vocals in the form of just being louder. Once I get used to it, it stopped being an issue, and I find myself enjoying the many pleasant characteristics that I did not notice with the arya. As of my personal opinion, the hek v2 is indeed an upgrade to the arya v2.
Your review is tempting me to upgrade to the HeKv2 from my Arya SE.
How is the depth and spacing between the background instruments compared to Arya V2 vs HekV2? Which headphone is more holographic?

I sold my Arya v2 for the Arya SE and I do miss the ultra-wide soundstage and more laid-back approach of the v2s.
The Arya SE do have significantly more bass and detail than the v2 but it's almost too analytical. Too much details and the singer's voice is usually right in front of my face can be fatiguing.
On some songs, the Arya SE can be wide but in the majority of the songs on my playlist, the sound stage is too close (the v2 were always spacious).

Looking forward to your opinion.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 4:01 AM Post #8,139 of 11,881
Your review is tempting me to upgrade to the HeKv2 from my Arya SE.
How is the depth and spacing between the background instruments compared to Arya V2 vs HekV2? Which headphone is more holographic?

I sold my Arya v2 for the Arya SE and I do miss the ultra-wide soundstage and more laid-back approach of the v2s.
The Arya SE do have significantly more bass and detail than the v2 but it's almost too analytical. Too much details and the singer's voice is usually right in front of my face can be fatiguing.
On some songs, the Arya SE can be wide but in the majority of the songs on my playlist, the sound stage is too close (the v2 were always spacious).

Looking forward to your opinion.
I never have a chance to listen to the Arya SE.

If you have an Arya v2, then I can tentatively recommend an upgrade to Hek v2. The only loss is the laid-back presentation, but in my opinion that will pass. Since the Hek v2 is superior in all aspects (imho) in terms of musical presentation to the Arya v2, the brain (at least mine) will accommodate the female vocal's forwardness gradually. (That's the "in front of my face" issue that might be similar to your Arya SE, though I have no idea about the extents.)

I am not well versed in terms of audiophile and review terminologies. I can only say that comparing the Arya v2 and Hek v2, the Hek presented a noticeably more precise and correct imaging and placement of music elements. Not sure about the depth though - the only time I can sense immense depth in soundstage was from a susvara review. Nonetheless, there were certain fairly amazing (in a good sense) discovery incidents with the hek during the past weeks but I feel it's too tedious to type out.

This forum's consensus seems to indicate that the SE solved most of the v2's problems at the expense of only the soundstage and some degree of forwardness. And if you love the bass of the SE, then I am quite sure the Hek v2 will disappoint you.

Anyway, IMHO, the Hek v2 may not be an upgrade to the Arya SE you are looking for.

Allow me to emphasize again that I never listened to the Arya SE so I do not know its sound signature at all.
And forgive my fragmented sentences and incoherent paragraphs. It's a bit late.

Aug 14, 2022 at 6:17 AM Post #8,140 of 11,881
Now Master 9 goes up another notch
I drive my Arya V3 through HE9-Mk2 so I fully understand what you mean.. I've had the Arya for a couple of months now and admit that they are a bit bright for my taste.. don't want to EQ them though, waiting for the HF to subside a bit during the burn in process (still around 80-100hr or so)..

Another discovery that I have with HE9-Mk2 is that my old good HE 500 are WAY more dynamic and punchy than I have always thought they were, and I've had them for 8 years now (!).. Without side grills (I handle them with extreme care) they sound more neutral / less warm and in your face and with a significantly larger sound stage.. I enjoy them now like never before..

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #8,141 of 11,881
I've had the Arya for a couple of months now and admit that they are a bit bright for my taste
I felt the same initially but then got a R2R NOS DAC. They sound spot on to me now - subjective of course.

Aug 14, 2022 at 6:33 AM Post #8,142 of 11,881
then got a R2R NOS DAC. They sound spot on to me now
I have the same kind of DAC (Audio GD R1) in NOS mode so hopefully I will eventually come to the place where you currently are sound wise (assuming that our tastes not far away from one another).. Another thing is that the HE9 is still burning in as well and it requires around 1000hr (250 so far).. It sounds incredible already, but the best is yet to come..)
Cheers

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #8,143 of 11,881
ULTIMATE SILVER by Lavricables.
This was sent for a review and has become my favorite cable and not only for the Arya.
A silver cable for the Arya? Seriously? In my opinion, silver will make them completely unbearable in terms of brightness.. Unless one has an extremely dark system..

Aug 14, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #8,144 of 11,881
A silver cable for the Arya? Seriously? In my opinion, silver will make them completely unbearable in terms of brightness.. Unless one has an extremely dark system..
Pure silver cables will not make your headphone bright or harsh.
Good cables are not EQ and they don't affect frequency response in any way
Just let more info pass to your ears.
The question is, can you handle it?

PS - I do not wish and I will not engage in a cables discussion.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #8,145 of 11,881
I have had my Arya v2 listed for sale for some time but revisiting it in the last 2 days makes me question if I still want to sell it. It is so good. The sound is so tall and enveloping makes it a unique experience for a lot of my music. The combination of stage with the floaty, meaty, well-extended bass makes it one of the best headphones for movies too. The detail retrieval is up there as well, not just "for the price". I get that v3 is viewed as the better version and after hearing it, I can see why it is the better all-rounder but v2 is great in its own right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back