HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Jul 4, 2022 at 1:45 AM Post #7,802 of 11,880
Used market amps under $1000 that would be a good pairing with the V3. These amps were $2k or above retail. They are old but still sound very very good. They deliver quality power and good amounts of it which any planar loves.

Violectric V200/280.
Auralic Taurus mk2
Audio-GD master 9 - very neutral
WA6-SE maybe - output impedance may be too high but my 50 ohm LCD-3 prefazor sounded fine.
Apex Peak + Volcano PSU - IMO the best amp I have owned IMO. Speed, clarity, dynamics, can be tuned to be warm or dead neutral depending on tube. Very low output impedance with gobs of current. I heard a Naim Unity Atom side by side and thought the Naim was meh.

Burson Soloist 3x from the current market amps would be a good score.
Flux Labs FA-12, plenty of power for the Aryas with a slightly warm signature.

This is subjective of course.

Jul 4, 2022 at 6:54 AM Post #7,803 of 11,880
Arya stealth, should I upgrade from topping e50/l50 stack? If so what players are in the game. When I was shopping around I couldn't make heads or tails of the amp DAC stuff. Was gonna get magnius modius but didn't wanna wait 6 weeks so I just said **** it and got what I got. Now the dust has settled and I'm ready to learn more about amps and dacs. Looking for the arya equivalent where it's like 85% of stuff that costs 5x.
I think you should "upgrade" only if you are looking for a different signature/pairing synergy. As far as I know, your stack has a good value and it's a good performer.

I had a topping amplifier in the past and I didn't like it 'cause all my HP are bright and it was just a bad pairing to me. If you are satisfied with their clean, a bit sterile and analytic sound, just keep it the way it is.
On the other hand, if you are looking for a smoother sounding stack/AIO, I think the K9 Pro is a very nice companion for the Arya SE.
It's punchy, warm and it has a nice instrument separation. Of course it is not perfect, but it's a good value for sure.

Jul 4, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #7,804 of 11,880
Good point on the used amp selections! Some good deals to be had out there for sure. Anyone on this thread try an Arya with the Ampsandsound Forge (or any of Justin's amps for that matter)? Any impressions with that pairing?
IDK, I've not heard them before....

Jul 4, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #7,805 of 11,880
I think you should "upgrade" only if you are looking for a different signature/pairing synergy. As far as I know, your stack has a good value and it's a good performer.

I had a topping amplifier in the past and I didn't like it 'cause all my HP are bright and it was just a bad pairing to me. If you are satisfied with their clean, a bit sterile and analytic sound, just keep it the way it is.
On the other hand, if you are looking for a smoother sounding stack/AIO, I think the K9 Pro is a very nice companion for the Arya SE.
It's punchy, warm and it has a nice instrument separation. Of course it is not perfect, but it's a good value for sure.
I had the A90 and I didn't like it very much with the Aryas. It compared unfavorably to my $150 used Emotiva A-100 and my ~$125 Schiit Magni 3+, both discrete amps. To me, Topping's IC based amps haven't been an ideal match with the Aryas (timbre wise and spatially). Of course it didn't sound subjectively "bad" IMO, just not the best for the Arya. Again, IMO of course.

Jul 4, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #7,806 of 11,880
I had the A90 and I didn't like it very much with the Aryas. It compared unfavorably to my $150 used Emotiva A-100 and my ~$125 Schiit Magni 3+, both discrete amps. To me, Topping's IC based amps haven't been an ideal match with the Aryas (timbre wise and spatially). Of course it didn't sound subjectively "bad" IMO, just not the best for the Arya. Again, IMO of course.
I tend to agree, the Arya needs something musical sounding, engaging and organic not clinical and boring.

Jul 4, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #7,808 of 11,880
I tend to agree, the Arya needs something musical sounding, engaging and organic not clinical and boring.
Discrete Class A or AB for the win! They don't have to be expensive either - just capable....

Jul 5, 2022 at 4:10 AM Post #7,809 of 11,880
Someone describes them as measurement chasing amp, which I feel can be true.

I've seen this in other developing tech branches, where at some point the consumer market start chasing sale specs over real performance.
Like Mpixels for photography and HDR/4K for monitors and tv.

Jul 5, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #7,810 of 11,880
Ever notice how many manufacturers make blanket statements such as (3 or 4W output!) or other large numbers? Then they toss in the mix (at 4 or 8ohm or other wonky values which 99% of headphones are NOT)... Then to top it off they never reveal their amplifiers actual output - they just use the single largest value they can squeak out?

Everyone needs to remember this too

Jul 6, 2022 at 1:33 AM Post #7,811 of 11,880
The EF400 is really growing on me. I've been a little critical on the DAC section earlier but it's actually got a solid built in DAC. At least on par with the Mojo 2 (or other mid tier DACs) as far as performance. The synergy with HiFiMan planars are undeniable. Immediately I could hear the pinpoint, precise imaging with the Arya's. So musical and engaging.

If anyone's looking for a AIO, I highly recommend it. It's basically plug and play, so easy to use. Set it and just enjoy the music. :)

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2022 at 4:19 AM Post #7,812 of 11,880
New to sharing my audio experience, so please bear with my inexperience. Still, I would like to know if anyone else had similar or different experiences with Arya v2 and Dekonis' Elite Fenestrated or Elite Hybrid. Paired with a Jotunheim v1.

Comfort: Both were definite upgrades to stock. However, I would say they don't warrant the upgrade for the price if you already have good-conditioned pads. They do fit around my head better as their memory foam tightly hugs my head. Since this is my first time comparing sheepskin and velour, I guess I have an affinity for velour around my head. Although their sheepskin is nice and smells good, I bought it from B-stock, and the shape was a little off, so it didn't sit as comfortably as the velour. Admittedly it could be entirely sociological, but the visual imperfection through off my comfort.

Elite Fenestrated: The biggest thing I noticed was how clean and transparent it was compared to the Hybrid. I thought everything was more forward, and the timbre was better (this was especially clear with songs that had guitar).

Elite Hybrid: Closer to stock. If stock is already perfect for you, this should be a no-brainer. I found it to have/be airier, more depth, better imaging, and openness compared to the Fenestrated. Although I feel like it was a bit more congested, but it was more fun.

I already fell in love with stock Arya v2, so I would have to choose the Hybrid as my favorite.

Jul 6, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #7,813 of 11,880
Ya gotta wait. Soundstage will open up. I didn't believe it either but it's true
My place is hot and noisy these days. Last night i had a good listen and yes i can confirm soundstage opens up. It's kinda uncanny how Arya present sound when it's soundstage click. Headphone disappears and you are floating inside the music.

I feel like Arya doesn't rely on physical design for creation of soundstage. It simply resolves the recording to create this effect. For example Edition XS drivers are more distant to my ears and that headphone have no clamp force at all. The result is more vague and diffuse sound but have this natural spacing all the time. Arya on the other hand just translates the recording in an uncanny way. It's more similar to Ananda here which creates more depth/layering in front than other headphones.

Jul 6, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #7,815 of 11,880
Very, very impressive on the Arya Stealth...

Screenshot_20220706-180333_Neutron Player.jpg

20220706_181201 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back