HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Jun 27, 2022 at 2:22 AM Post #7,756 of 11,880
See, I'm an at-home listener. I can't do it on the go, it cuts me off from the flow of everything that's happening around me. I also owned the HEKV2 before, and actually had a lengthy audition of it on the amp I just bought. So I got the amp first, with plans that that I could one day have an HEKV2 to pair with it. When I saw the price reduction, I couldn't resist for long.

I've written about the differences between the two headphones at length here, and from my point of view, there's much more than just a subtle difference. The Arya is amazing, and really unbeatable in tonal balance and detail for the price (especially THIS price), but the added resolution, natural staging, and warmth/organic-ness of the HEKV2 is what I've been waiting for :smirk:

Edit: Just got back from some time away from home, and HOLY S***T the Arya are still so amazing! Part of me wonders if I actually need to upgrade at all now.
I get that same feeling when I take a "break" from listening. Of course it doesn't require a break, it also happens every time I put them on and my ears adjust - they draw me into the music in a way that's really impressisive most every single time.

Jun 27, 2022 at 2:26 AM Post #7,757 of 11,880
PXL_20220627_055659549.PORTRAIT.jpg
The Arya sounds a lot better through the 4-pin XLR of the EF400 than it does through 4.4m balanced for some reason. Separation is a lot better. The amp section is very powerful on the EF400, but the DAC section is just ok. I think the RU6 actually sounds better. Now I'm trying to decide whether to keep the EF400 or the Burson. I got the Burson specifically for the Arya...🤔

The only thing that bugs me about the EF400 is that I can't use it as a standalone amp. 🤦🏻‍♂️
Yeah, that is a bummer...and the main detriment for most all in ones. Every time I think of getting an AIO the lack of flexibility makes me decide against it.

Jun 27, 2022 at 2:57 AM Post #7,758 of 11,880
Yeah, anyway...I'm really starting to fall in love with the Arya's. They're basically everything I could ask for in a headphone. When I first listened to the Edition XS, I had a hard time taking them off because the sound was so addicting. Same thing here with the Arya's. But just more refinement throughout and non-fatiguing. Immersive. :)

Jun 27, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #7,759 of 11,880
I was just wondering since you emphasized that the HEKse is a very clear upgrade from arya. I have actually owned the susvara and IMO the arya and susvara are in the same league, I wouldn't call it a very clear upgrade, but more like a slight timbre difference and larger sound stage from the arya. I also find people talking I made about amp requirements and over exaggeration, IMO. I would say that the arya should be a consideration even if you're looking at something over 2k as well
I have to respectfully disagree with this statement. I currently own the Arya v2 as well the Susvara and HE6se. The Aryas had made me into a soundstage freak and I didn't hear the magic of the Susvaras right away. I purchased the Phonitor X amp and later the Chord Qutest and then I was ready to do some hardcore listening. I made the conscious decision to put away all other headphones and focus on Susvara. After getting use to the sound signature and perhaps some burn in, the Susvara destroys the Arya and it is not even close. In fact getting used to the Susvara made me appreciate the HE6se more than the Arya. Don't get me wrong... the Aryas are great. I still listen to them when I want to hear how it interprets certain songs but when you listen to Susvara with a proper amp they are incredible. Comparing the three headphones is one of my favorite things to do with well recorded and remastered tracks. Later purchased the Wells Audio Milo and took the headphones to a even higher level. I am speaking about Arya v2... I have never heard the Stealth version. I hope to soon though.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #7,760 of 11,880
I have to respectfully disagree with this statement. I currently own the Arya v2 as well the Susvara and HE6se. The Aryas had made me into a soundstage freak and I didn't hear the magic of the Susvaras right away. I purchased the Phonitor X amp and later the Chord Qutest and then I was ready to do some hardcore listening. I made the conscious decision to put away all other headphones and focus on Susvara. After getting use to the sound signature and perhaps some burn in, the Susvara destroys the Arya and it is not even close. In fact getting used to the Susvara made me appreciate the HE6se more than the Arya. Don't get me wrong... the Aryas are great. I still listen to them when I want to hear how it interprets certain songs but when you listen to Susvara with a proper amp they are incredible. Comparing the three headphones is one of my favorite things to do with well recorded and remastered tracks. Later purchased the Wells Audio Milo and took the headphones to a even higher level. I am speaking about Arya v2... I have never heard the Stealth version. I hope to soon though.

In what way does it destroy the arya ? Stock FR is similar so they both have the similar signature, nuances would come from driver, pads and housing. I never compare headphones back to back I listen to them for weeks or months at a time. Don't get me wrong, susvara is great, but I just don't get why some people think TOTL is somehow on some other plain of existence.

Jun 27, 2022 at 10:46 PM Post #7,761 of 11,880
I think @Tachyon88 EQs all his hps to Harman - though I could be wrong. That prolly has a great effect in making most of the aforementioned hps sound much closer to each other and nearly indistinguishable rather than to allow their various unique traits to shine through. I could be mistaken though....

Jun 27, 2022 at 11:07 PM Post #7,762 of 11,880
I think @Tachyon88 EQs all his hps to Harman - though I could be wrong. That prolly has a great effect in making most of the aforementioned hps sound much closer to each other and nearly indistinguishable rather than to allow their various unique traits to shine through. I could be mistaken though....

From my experience eq'ing to Harman does not make headphones sound the same. You can't EQ the inherent traits out of the headphone, only its tonality. The stock FR is so close anyways, and by making it almost the same it comes down to the physical build and actually makes the differences more transparent. I recently acquired a DCA stealth, which its stock FR is Harmon and it has its own unique characteristics as well. I don't EQ that one ! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Jun 28, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #7,763 of 11,880
In what way does it destroy the arya ? Stock FR is similar so they both have the similar signature, nuances would come from driver, pads and housing. I never compare headphones back to back I listen to them for weeks or months at a time. Don't get me wrong, susvara is great, but I just don't get why some people think TOTL is somehow on some other plain of existence
In what way does it destroy the arya ? Stock FR is similar so they both have the similar signature, nuances would come from driver, pads and housing. I never compare headphones back to back I listen to them for weeks or months at a time. Don't get me wrong, susvara is great, but I just don't get why some people think TOTL is somehow on some other plain of existence.
Susvara is a much more dynamic headphone, much more natural sounding, bass more present, cymbals more shimmer. Details easier to hear… almost information overload. The Arya wins in soundstage only.

Jun 28, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #7,764 of 11,880
$4500 extra for a little more dynamics, cymbal shimmer and details? The price to performance ratio is way too messed up in Audio. But hey! someone could say the same thing about going from Airpods to Arya.

Jun 28, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #7,766 of 11,880
From my experience eq'ing to Harman does not make headphones sound the same. You can't EQ the inherent traits out of the headphone, only its tonality. The stock FR is so close anyways, and by making it almost the same it comes down to the physical build and actually makes the differences more transparent. I recently acquired a DCA stealth, which its stock FR is Harmon and it has its own unique characteristics as well. I don't EQ that one ! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
There's enough room in this hobby for all tastes, and to EQ or to not EQ...:thumbsup:

Jun 28, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #7,767 of 11,880
$4500 extra for a little more dynamics, cymbal shimmer and details? The price to performance ratio is way too messed up in Audio. But hey! someone could say the same thing about going from Airpods to Arya.
One of my friends genuinely said my 6XX were not $200 better than his $25 Best Buy earbuds and thinks I’m nuts for spending more money or time on headphones

I can’t agree with him but he spends his money on other things I think are silly… so to each their own.
But yeah audio prices are pretty off the wall just look at the cables.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #7,768 of 11,880
I get that same feeling when I take a "break" from listening. Of course it doesn't require a break, it also happens every time I put them on and my ears adjust - they draw me into the music in a way that's really impressisive most every single time.
Well, the HE1000 V2 came new from Hifiman with a left driver DOA. Looks like I'm sticking with the Arya for the time being :smiley:

Jun 28, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #7,769 of 11,880
One of my friends genuinely said my 6XX were not $200 better than his $25 Best Buy earbuds and thinks I’m nuts for spending more money or time on headphones

I can’t agree with him but he spends his money on other things I think are silly… so to each their own.
But yeah audio prices are pretty off the wall just look at the cables.
Even if you stick to the same hobby, there is no such a thing as universal value.

For someone, paying twice the price for 10% more bass or more soundstage is like crazy, while for some other it could be a steal. Maybe that 10% hits exactly what you need?

You know, for me everything is fuzzy logic: there is no clear line, there is no clear value. If you ask me if I think the Arya is 5 times better than the Sundara, I would say it's madness. But is it better enough, to justify that cost? It that cost sustainable to me? The answer is yes to both, so for me it's a good value.

As long as it has a functional and technical value, everything can be a good value.

Jun 28, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #7,770 of 11,880
You can't really trust anyone that owns a headphone tho, since they have purchaser bias. We all do - none of us ever want to admit we made an (up to) 6,000 dollar mistake.

Either way it doesn't matter much to me at the end of the day anyway - I've bought expensive headphones before and I do not think they are a good value. Especially when they die early and the manufacturer ignores you.

Nope, I vote with my wallet and it's fun to explore new headphones anyway. Just not at ridiculous price points. I've learned my lesson.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back