HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Jun 1, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #7,561 of 11,881
And it will just get better as you break them in.
I used to believe that break-in was BS, but my Sundara actually got better with time: a little less sharp (to the point it's not sharp anymore), a little better on the bass and a bit wider. My hd560s, on the contrary, did not change much (so I don't think it's brain burn-in).
Also my Focal Listen did not change very much. Not sure about the Beyer.

Maybe it's about the pads? The 560s has some kind of velour which did not collapse at all, while my Sundara pads changed a lot. Or maybe it's the diaphram?

Jun 1, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #7,562 of 11,881
I used to believe that break-in was BS, but my Sundara actually got better with time: a little less sharp (to the point it's not sharp anymore), a little better on the bass and a bit wider. My hd560s, on the contrary, did not change much (so I don't think it's brain burn-in).
Also my Focal Listen did not change very much. Not sure about the Beyer.

Maybe it's about the pads? The 560s has some kind of velour which did not collapse at all, while my Sundara pads changed a lot. Or maybe it's the diaphram?
Diaphragms get more compliant with use. Speaker surrounds have a similar process when they're brand new.

Jun 1, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #7,563 of 11,881
Diaphragms get more compliant with use. Speaker surrounds have a similar process when they're brand new.
Exactly, this is not about pixie dust crap, it's about it getting to it's intended performance in a mechanical sense.

Jun 1, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #7,566 of 11,881
Exactly, this is not about pixie dust crap, it's about it getting to it's intended performance in a mechanical sense.
Speaker diaphragm performs millions of excursions in a few minutes. That's all it needs for break in, not hundreds of hours of non stop pink noise torture.

Jun 2, 2022 at 1:37 AM Post #7,567 of 11,881
Speaker diaphragm performs millions of excursions in a few minutes. That's all it needs for break in, not hundreds of hours of non stop pink noise torture.
Still, those movements are cumulative until each driver reaches it's nominal behavior or "equilibrium" if you will. At that point it's behavoir while excited will no longer change unless of course it's grossly overdriven to the point of failure. My bookshelf speakers were wooly in the bass and muffled in the midrange until I burned them in with rather loud pink noise and music for a week or two. They had rather stiff surrounds that needed working out. Then they became more defined in the bass and much more transparent and clear in the mids. With all physical moving parts this occurs to one degree or another. Think: leather goods and car engines. My experiences, YMMV....

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #7,569 of 11,881
Last edited:
Jun 2, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #7,571 of 11,881
Thanks for the video, I’ll do some googling myself since I just have more questions as to how “burn-in” will benefit from pink noise , although the video states that it’s based on how humans perceive sound so I’m assuming this is key for headphones? But why not just play actual music then, lol?
As burn-in is one of a several hot topics in audiophilee world, there are several theories of how to do it properly. Playing music is an obvious way for me, but random noise advocates think otherwise.

Jun 2, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #7,572 of 11,881
Thanks for the video, I’ll do some googling myself since I just have more questions as to how “burn-in” will benefit from pink noise , although the video states that it’s based on how humans perceive sound so I’m assuming this is key for headphones? But why not just play actual music then, lol?
Pink noise excites and stresses the driver over the whole frequency range (ie: 20hz - 20khz), whereas most music doesn't. However, there's absolutely no reason to not do both - music during the day and pink noise overnights or when not listening to music (that's how I do it, btw). The purpose of using pink noise is that it usually burns in the driver much faster vs music only. Of course, whether you believe in such things or not (I and many others do, while some others don't), there's no right or wrong opinion when it comes to one's own gears. Some hps don't benefit at all but the Aryas definitely do, IMO, judging from my experiences with both the v2 and the Stealths...and various sets of speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back