HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Feb 12, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #6,691 of 11,921
I believe anything that moves like speakers, Planar membranes, even a phono stylus loosens up and tracks easier / better after a bit of activity. Breaking it in so to speak - like a new baseball glove. 😄

I'm not really sold on cable and electronics burn-in, other than capacitors, but I truly believe in speaker and HP burn-in.

I'll be getting the V3 upgrade probably next month. I have a few financial commitments I have to clear out first. As for how long I've had Arya v1? Since they were introduced. Upgraded from Ananda.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #6,692 of 11,921
My speaker manufacture stated over 150 hours IIRC and I literally kept them playing music 24/7 and a nice star ship bass hum for when I was sleeping. Sounded the same from start to finish. Same with my susvara and those RCA cables.

Its a multifaceted psychological seed being planted to make such claims, there is no downside from the manufacture saying such. Expectations plays a huge part in it all.

When you getting the V3 ? Have you had the V1 since the beginning ?

I suppose if you can't hear the effects of burn in then you can't. Nothing wrong with that.

Feb 12, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #6,693 of 11,921
I suppose if you can't hear the effects of burn in then you can't. Nothing wrong with that.

I suppose it could be ones expectation bias, but if something is not happening then I don't see why I would hear it. I'm simply giving a counter opinion on the over emphasis into physical burn in. :beerchug:

Feb 12, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #6,694 of 11,921
What are you using as a tube buffer? And by that do you mean it's set up as a pre amp? I was thinking of adding a tube amp somewhere, either Lyr 3 or Liquid Platinum and testing them separately and combined
I had been using a Schiit Vali2 as a tube buffer for a while and at the time I thought it was very good. But last summer I bought a Black Ice Audio Foz SS-X tube buffer with bass and soundstage adjustments. As good was the Vali2 with dual 6J5Gs, the Foz SS-X was on another level as it should be given the additional cost.

The Foz-SS-X has no volume pot, just a pure tube buffer thats very receptive with tube rolling, so BF2 single ended out to Foz SS-X then from there output single ended to Jot2. Therefore, my SE input has tube, while the Balance input is all solid state (BF2 xlr out to Jot2). Nice to have some different flavors.

Feb 12, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #6,695 of 11,921
It's all in the head, so called brain burn in. Good reference below to think about.

Im sure i've posted this before but a dynamic driver does millions of excursions within say 10 mins of listening to music. Speaker manufactures state that the surround compliance relaxes after maybe half that time.

5 mins aint a lot to care about. Nor will most folks notice it.

Feb 12, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #6,696 of 11,921
I really don't care whether any difference in sound is actual or imaginary as long as I hear it. 😜

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #6,697 of 11,921
I really don't care whether any difference in sound is actual or imaginary as long as I hear it. 😜
Totally! Even what’s “out there” is still happening in your head. Wayyyy more than most people think…

Feb 12, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #6,698 of 11,921

OK now. I'd convinced myself that the upgrade from V1 to V3 wasn't worth it but now I MUST HAVE A V3!!!

*** I knew I should have unsubscribed from this thread. :unamused:
"Tell it, you must spell it." I'm pretty sure J. Cochran said that at some time.

Let us know what's the diff.
I have the v2 (purchased from the manufacturer (open box) but new looking to me). I'm very chuffed with my purchase. Why anything more?

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #6,699 of 11,921
Can't decide v3 or 1000SE from 2nd hand market
Love 1000se ofc but not sure about long sessions with them. Arya v3 was quite comfortable in a shop

Feb 13, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #6,700 of 11,921
That is to increase the chance of not returning it. I got some documentation that said to burn in my 20 dollar RCA cables I bought from amazon for 150hours too. OH, and that they are "one directional"...lol, SMH.
That's an old objectivist trope that's not necessarily true. Some less than reputable manufacturers may have that goal for suggesting burn-in, but that's not at all that many manufacturers that want to keep customers. I play pink noise to burn in my DAC's, amps, and speakers/HPs and in many cases it does make a difference in their overall performance and presentations - but not always. My NOS Energy RC-10 speakers sounded muffled and woolly in the bass and midrange when I first set them up out of the box, but after about ~50 hours of pretty loud pink noise to stress the drivers, they've become much more clear and clean sounding, more transparent in the mids, and the bass not only deepened but also got quicker and more agile - it was no longer lumpy or woolly in the bass. Both my brand new Arya Stealths and SMSL Su-9 DAC also benefitted from play-in/burn-in. Because you don't believe in burn-in - nor do you even try it - doesn't mean it isn't "a thing". Of course, some people will always be detractors of this totally free tweak. Peace to you...

Feb 13, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #6,701 of 11,921
My speaker manufacture stated over 150 hours IIRC and I literally kept them playing music 24/7 and a nice star ship bass hum for when I was sleeping. Sounded the same from start to finish. Same with my susvara and those RCA cables.

Its a multifaceted psychological seed being planted to make such claims, there is no downside from the manufacture saying such. Expectations plays a huge part in it all.

When you getting the V3 ? Have you had the V1 since the beginning ?
The same disbelief bias can be said to occur with those that don't want to hear any differences...to deny and to shoot down burn-in claims. Not to stoke a flame war... Both are possible.

Feb 13, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #6,702 of 11,921
That's an old objectivist trope that's not necessarily true. Some less than reputable manufacturers may have that goal for suggesting burn-in, but that's not at all that many manufacturers that want to keep customers. I play pink noise to burn in my DAC's, amps, and speakers/HPs and in many cases it does make a difference in their overall performance and presentations - but not always. My NOS Energy RC-10 speakers sounded muffled and woolly in the bass and midrange when I first set them up out of the box, but after about ~50 hours of pretty loud pink noise to stress the drivers, they've become much more clear and clean sounding, more transparent in the mids, and the bass not only deepened but also got quicker and more agile - it was no longer lumpy or woolly in the bass. Both my brand new Arya Stealths and SMSL Su-9 DAC also benefitted from play-in/burn-in. Because you don't believe in burn-in - nor do you even try it - doesn't mean it isn't "a thing". Of course, some people will always be detractors of this totally free tweak. Peace to you...

Has nothing to do with "tropes", but rather its good business sense. If physical burn in is so drastic as you believe it is, then there is no reason why literally everyone should not hear it. Occam's razor would suggest that it is brain burn. If you note in my previous replies I did indeed try.

The same disbelief bias can be said to occur with those that don't want to hear any differences...to deny and to shoot down burn-in claims. Not to stoke a flame war... Both are possible.

I guess I can not hear what I don't want to hear, assuming its even there. So our mind can create reality, but also deny reality, but there is objective truth and that is what I care about. I can only share my experience and I still remain open minded. If everyone responds to each other in a civil manner then I don't see this as stoking a flame war.

Feb 13, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #6,703 of 11,921
Measurements would solve the dispute, but wait, there aren't any.
:deadhorse:

Feb 13, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #6,705 of 11,921
Measurements would solve the dispute, but wait, there aren't any.
:deadhorse:
Measure soundstaging, imaging, or detail retrieval... Okay, I have to give up when you bring out the dead horse, hahaha.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back