HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Nov 19, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #5,927 of 11,868
Hey guys, im back.
Arya Stealth Version arrived and my first impression is: This is even better than what I heard before!
Just to repeat: I think the Focal Clear is a bit boring (while I really like it) but HD 800 was my favourite headphone!
So I thought I would like Arya V2 more than the V3 because of the bigger stage. But that was not the case. I liked the V2 but I still prefered the HD 800. Now Im hearing the Stealth Edition and this could be my favourite ever headphone. I will write again when I heard it for more than just 2 days! Ofc im still hyped right now, so I will test it in the next time much more :)

I would say the V3 sounds more natural. While I lik the big space of the HD 800, i felt that it was unnatural und the old arya... Now Im fully there!

Nov 19, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #5,928 of 11,868
I have a Question. I heard that It could damage a magnetostatic headphone (in this case the arya) when I put air pressure on it. For example when I have it on my ears and press it in the direction of my ears so that theres air pressure inside of the cups.
Is that true? Can it damage the diaphragm or something?

Edit: Sorry, I mean planar magnetic.. In german we say "Magnetostatisch"

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #5,929 of 11,868
I have a Question. I heard that It could damage a magnetostatic headphone (in this case the arya) when I put air pressure on it. For example when I have it on my ears and press it in the direction of my ears so that theres air pressure inside of the cups.
Is that true? Can it damage the diaphragm or something?

Edit: Sorry, I mean planar magnetic.. In german we say "Magnetostatisch"
Yes, but I haven’t heard of this happening with many hifiman headphones. I think it’s more of an Audeze thing.

When the ear cups create a seal between your head and the driver (and possibly the back of the housing), it’s possible to hear something called “driver flex,” like a crinkling noise of the thin planar membrane being moved with the air pressure created by the seal. Then if too much pressure is applied in addition to that, I’ve heard Audeze reps say it can damage the driver.

However the only hifiman headphone I’ve had driver flex with was the HE6-SE V2, and only when I put different (much thicker) pads on it. I think due to the extremely open backs and stiffer pad material of hifiman headphones, it’s not too much of a worry. But still, it’s not advisable to put more pressure on the ear cup than is needed 😎

Nov 19, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #5,930 of 11,868
Yes, but I haven’t heard of this happening with many hifiman headphones. I think it’s more of an Audeze thing.

When the ear cups create a seal between your head and the driver (and possibly the back of the housing), it’s possible to hear something called “driver flex,” like a crinkling noise of the thin planar membrane being moved with the air pressure created by the seal. Then if too much pressure is applied in addition to that, I’ve heard Audeze reps say it can damage the driver.

However the only hifiman headphone I’ve had driver flex with was the HE6-SE V2, and only when I put different (much thicker) pads on it. I think due to the extremely open backs and stiffer pad material of hifiman headphones, it’s not too much of a worry. But still, it’s not advisable to put more pressure on the ear cup than is needed 😎
Ok, thank you very much for the explanation. Im still a bit scared. But its better to know this than accidentaly destroying it.

Nov 19, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #5,931 of 11,868
Hey guys, im back.
Arya Stealth Version arrived and my first impression is: This is even better than what I heard before!
Just to repeat: I think the Focal Clear is a bit boring (while I really like it) but HD 800 was my favourite headphone!
So I thought I would like Arya V2 more than the V3 because of the bigger stage. But that was not the case. I liked the V2 but I still prefered the HD 800. Now Im hearing the Stealth Edition and this could be my favourite ever headphone. I will write again when I heard it for more than just 2 days! Ofc im still hyped right now, so I will test it in the next time much more :)

I would say the V3 sounds more natural. While I lik the big space of the HD 800, i felt that it was unnatural und the old arya... Now Im fully there!

So, do you feel the Stealth Arya sounds smaller than the V2? Much smaller?

Nov 19, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #5,932 of 11,868
So, do you feel the Stealth Arya sounds smaller than the V2? Much smaller?
Not really. Arya V3 is still very open with a big stage.
With the V2 I had a strange feeling that thear was a "soundgap" between my ears, the ear pads and the driver... the V3 fills this space much better and still sounds very wide to me when it has to.
V3 just sounds more "right" to me.

Nov 19, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #5,933 of 11,868
Ok, thank you very much for the explanation. Im still a bit scared. But its better to know this than accidentaly destroying it.
I wouldn't worry too much. Hifiman and other planar diaphragms are surprisingly resilient. They should be around for a good while.

Nov 19, 2021 at 11:56 PM Post #5,934 of 11,868
20211119_232339.jpg

Well after a few evenings listening and a full day of comparison, I'm ready to give some thoughts on how the Arya Stealths and the HEDDphones stack up to each other so far.

Source chain
---------------
DAC: Schiit Modius — This DAC brings Schiit's signature touch of warmth, with depth and body
Amp: Corda Classic — Discontinued Class A opamp-based single-ended amp from Meier Audio that's probably unfamiliar to people new to the hobby, but has a lot of power (3.2W @ 30ohms) and a neutral, clean, tight sound with a wide soundstage

Practical things
------------------
Aryas are about 56% of the weight of the HEDDphones. That means a LOT in the area of comfort, and without a suspension-style headband, most of the HEDDphone's weight is pressing on top of your head with a thin, tightly-padded band. Simply put, I cannot wear the HEDDphones as long as I want to, and have to add padding to the underside of the headband which means the earpads sit a little high on my ears, resting partly on my earlobes due to the short earcup extensions. Comfort is a key issue, though not everyone will have the same experience. Aryas will be comfortable for nearly everyone for long periods of time.

Amping is another consideration. Aryas need amping but not as much as the HEDDphones. I'd love to say I have a large stable of powerful amps to swap between, but I don't. I believe what I have is more than enough power for the HEDDphones, but volume matching while swapping between them is tricky, and I wish I had a way of doing so reliably. Aryas have more dynamic range and so that means I have to fiddle with the volume knob between albums more often, whereas the HEDDphones I can largely "set and forget".

Bass
-----
Bass is really no contest. Arya Stealths win hands-down. It's powerful, impactful, extended, and controlled. Pretty much everything you'd ever want unless you really want a headphone with bass that rattles your teeth. Mid-bass is tight and punchy, sub-bass is thick and rumbly when called for, and there's times I feel like I can hear the frequency waves individually — it's THAT textured. Incredibly fast, the bass never loses its power or impact even when other elements of the song are gradually added in. Now I don't begrudge the HEDDphones one bit for what they're able to do. Having AMT drivers that can do adequate bass is an accomplishment, it's just not as refined as a planar technology that has many more years of development. Bass isn't as controlled, textured, or impactful on the HEDDphones. There's a good amount of it but if a song would benefit from less, such as classical music, the HEDDphones aren't as restrained, and can make the presentation seem slightly muddy. For most genres this isn't a problem, but the lack of refinement here is pretty evident. Lower bass has pretty good response, but mid-bass in particular isn't as punchy as I'd like, which hurts the fun-factor with a number of genres, limiting the versatility of the HEDDphones, unfortunately. Still if you like a fairly warm bass presentation and don't mind the drawbacks, you'll probably be happy given how good other frequency ranges are on the HEDDphone in many genres.

Mids
------
Close, but the mids get a slight nod to the HEDDphones for many genres. Mids are more forward, and everything there, especially vocals, is more up-front. Aryas are slightly more recessed (V-shaped). You'll notice more going on in the mids with the HEDDs, with good separation. This can be pleasing especially for acoustic music and singing, and you may pick up on some nuances more easily, but I hesitate to call them more detailed. The trade-off is you don't get as much depth or space between instruments, with the soundstage being more like a flat strip of wall going across your face, touching your nose, and out to the sides. With a more forward midrange, the HEDDphones can also seem a little less dynamic. Mids can be tonally more neutral sounding on the HEDDs, and there are definitely times they sound more natural and realistic with instruments like pianos, saxophones, and violins. Those are areas the HEDDs definitely excel at. Mids are still very good on the Stealths, and I don't think there's a vast difference here.

Treble
-------
Far more restrained on the HEDDphones. The treble is hard to match there. It's clean and balanced with the rest of the frequency range. For acoustic music, it's a much more natural presentation. I think I prefer the treble overall on the HEDDs, but there are a few situations where the extra treble hotness on the Aryas will be a benefit, like in non-acoustic music. Aryas will pick up on the higher frequency transients, string plucks and textures, and sparkly cymbal crashes. Aryas also give more emphasis to air and reverb in the recordings. HEDDs have more natural decay, but if you want a more spacious sound, that added air can help in some things. Neither headphone are in the least bit sibilant to my ears with my chain.

Electronic
-----------
Vast difference in favor of the Aryas. The slightly V-shaped FR is virtually tailor-made for this genre. These headphones seem to lean towards the fun-factor. The huge soundstage and spacious layering make this music sound incredibly engaging. First time I heard it it blew my mind. Songs I listened to numerous times sounded new again. Bass is hard-hitting, punchy, and sub-bass is thick and rumbling. There's texture here I don't think I've experienced before.

Jazz
-----
With the more natural decay and more forward and clear-sounding mids, the HEDDphones generally win here. Jazz is not a genre that needs a lot of dynamic range, I find, and clarity is king here, which the HEDDs do very well. The added treble emphasis on the Aryas doesn't come off quite as natural-sounding, and the sense of air seems a tad exaggerated. Vocals are more forward on the HEDDphones, and it seems like you have to turn up the volume on the Aryas a little more to match. The sense of realism, like you're there live with the artists, is quite enjoyable on the HEDDphones, and this is the genre I've listened to and enjoyed the most on those headphones.

Bluegrass/Folk
-----------------
Aryas with their brighter treble can bring out some instruments like steel guitars and banjos in places where the HEDDphones will recess them. For folk music which is more vocal focused, the Aryas aren't as forward and the HEDDs do better there. The more forward mids can also help some bluegrass instruments as well like violins and acoustic guitars or mandolins. Cellos do sound better on the Aryas, especially if (like in some folk songs) a bow is involved. Bluegrass is similar to jazz in that being up-front in the mids can be a definite benefit, and again they don't need as much in the way of dynamics, working in favor of the HEDDphones. There are times the treble emphasis on the Aryas is helpful, giving some instruments more presence as mentioned earlier, and you definitely hear the plucks of the strings more clearly. Tones of acoustic guitars and violins are more evident on the HEDDphones, being pushed more to the forefront with good cohesion of harmonies while still avoiding congestion. Many folk songs definitely benefit from the soundstage of the Aryas, though. It deeply depends on the album or even the song, as well as the listener's own preferences as to which one is better. I wouldn't say there's a clear winner, though for me personally, the HEDDphones do slightly better more often than not.

Hard Rock/Metal
--------------------
Hard rock and metal, Aryas win hands-down. Punchy drums, splashy treble, and for metal the expanded soundstage is quite welcome. Pleasing air around the drum hits, shredding treble texture on the guitars, and despite the depth and layers, the Arya's have a splendid ability to take the lead vocals and keep them front-and-center. Also it might be the physical size of the drivers, but big guitar moments sound BIG.

Classical
----------
This one was surprising. Symphonies are really quite enjoyable on the Aryas. The treble response brings out the tiniest details, and the soundstaging abilities is really well suited here. The better controlled bass does not intrude or bloat in any way, and there's a greater sense of dynamic range which helps bring out the crescendos better. HEDDs sound a little bit flatter, and have just a pinch too much lowend. Even string quartets sound better on the Aryas, although it's a closer race. The treble texture is quite enjoyable, and again there's a greater sense of dynamics.

Overall
---------
After feeling like this might be a slaughter for the HEDDphones, the more I listened the more nuanced the comparison became. HEDDphones are the king of jazz between the two, really, and that can be a big factor for a lot of audiophiles. But so can comfort, and for me the big problem with the HEDDphones is, as good as they sound, if a headphone isn't comfortable, the audio capabilities are sort of academic. Especially at this price, you shouldn't have to worry about if a pair of headphones might give you a headache. Maybe it won't! For people with large heads though, I don't recommend the HEDDphones. And if you place vocals high on your priority list, the HEDDphones definitely give you a little more there.

But for fun genres, Arya Stealths are the better-suited, with their crowd-pleasing slightly V-shape response, and the wow-factor of their soundstage presentation. It's like they have two drivers, one that places some sounds up-front, and another that handles more distant elements. Their "multitasking" is really quite astounding, and that goes for bass response as well. When the HEDDphones win, I feel like it's only by a slight margin, but when the Aryas win, more often it's by a landslide. They have remarkable versatility, and even the genres they're not ideal in will still sound good for most listeners. You could conceivably own this as your only headphone and be pretty darn happy.

@AntonRisto @haasaaroni

Nov 20, 2021 at 2:05 AM Post #5,935 of 11,868

Well after a few evenings listening and a full day of comparison, I'm ready to give some thoughts on how the Arya Stealths and the HEDDphones stack up to each other so far.

Source chain
---------------
DAC: Schiit Modius — This DAC brings Schiit's signature touch of warmth, with depth and body
Amp: Corda Classic — Discontinued Class A opamp-based single-ended amp from Meier Audio that's probably unfamiliar to people new to the hobby, but has a lot of power (3.2W @ 30ohms) and a neutral, clean, tight sound with a wide soundstage

Practical things
------------------
Aryas are about 56% of the weight of the HEDDphones. That means a LOT in the area of comfort, and without a suspension-style headband, most of the HEDDphone's weight is pressing on top of your head with a thin, tightly-padded band. Simply put, I cannot wear the HEDDphones as long as I want to, and have to add padding to the underside of the headband which means the earpads sit a little high on my ears, resting partly on my earlobes due to the short earcup extensions. Comfort is a key issue, though not everyone will have the same experience. Aryas will be comfortable for nearly everyone for long periods of time.

Amping is another consideration. Aryas need amping but not as much as the HEDDphones. I'd love to say I have a large stable of powerful amps to swap between, but I don't. I believe what I have is more than enough power for the HEDDphones, but volume matching while swapping between them is tricky, and I wish I had a way of doing so reliably. Aryas have more dynamic range and so that means I have to fiddle with the volume knob between albums more often, whereas the HEDDphones I can largely "set and forget".

Bass
-----
Bass is really no contest. Arya Stealths win hands-down. It's powerful, impactful, extended, and controlled. Pretty much everything you'd ever want unless you really want a headphone with bass that rattles your teeth. Mid-bass is tight and punchy, sub-bass is thick and rumbly when called for, and there's times I feel like I can hear the frequency waves individually — it's THAT textured. Incredibly fast, the bass never loses its power or impact even when other elements of the song are gradually added in. Now I don't begrudge the HEDDphones one bit for what they're able to do. Having AMT drivers that can do adequate bass is an accomplishment, it's just not as refined as a planar technology that has many more years of development. Bass isn't as controlled, textured, or impactful on the HEDDphones. There's a good amount of it but if a song would benefit from less, such as classical music, the HEDDphones aren't as restrained, and can make the presentation seem slightly muddy. For most genres this isn't a problem, but the lack of refinement here is pretty evident. Lower bass has pretty good response, but mid-bass in particular isn't as punchy as I'd like, which hurts the fun-factor with a number of genres, limiting the versatility of the HEDDphones, unfortunately. Still if you like a fairly warm bass presentation and don't mind the drawbacks, you'll probably be happy given how good other frequency ranges are on the HEDDphone in many genres.

Mids
------
Close, but the mids get a slight nod to the HEDDphones for many genres. Mids are more forward, and everything there, especially vocals, is more up-front. Aryas are slightly more recessed (V-shaped). You'll notice more going on in the mids with the HEDDs, with good separation. This can be pleasing especially for acoustic music and singing, and you may pick up on some nuances more easily, but I hesitate to call them more detailed. The trade-off is you don't get as much depth or space between instruments, with the soundstage being more like a flat strip of wall going across your face, touching your nose, and out to the sides. With a more forward midrange, the HEDDphones can also seem a little less dynamic. Mids can be tonally more neutral sounding on the HEDDs, and there are definitely times they sound more natural and realistic with instruments like pianos, saxophones, and violins. Those are areas the HEDDs definitely excel at. Mids are still very good on the Stealths, and I don't think there's a vast difference here.

Treble
-------
Far more restrained on the HEDDphones. The treble is hard to match there. It's clean and balanced with the rest of the frequency range. For acoustic music, it's a much more natural presentation. I think I prefer the treble overall on the HEDDs, but there are a few situations where the extra treble hotness on the Aryas will be a benefit, like in non-acoustic music. Aryas will pick up on the higher frequency transients, string plucks and textures, and sparkly cymbal crashes. Aryas also give more emphasis to air and reverb in the recordings. HEDDs have more natural decay, but if you want a more spacious sound, that added air can help in some things. Neither headphone are in the least bit sibilant to my ears with my chain.

Electronic
-----------
Vast difference in favor of the Aryas. The slightly V-shaped FR is virtually tailor-made for this genre. These headphones seem to lean towards the fun-factor. The huge soundstage and spacious layering make this music sound incredibly engaging. First time I heard it it blew my mind. Songs I listened to numerous times sounded new again. Bass is hard-hitting, punchy, and sub-bass is thick and rumbling. There's texture here I don't think I've experienced before.

Jazz
-----
With the more natural decay and more forward and clear-sounding mids, the HEDDphones generally win here. Jazz is not a genre that needs a lot of dynamic range, I find, and clarity is king here, which the HEDDs do very well. The added treble emphasis on the Aryas doesn't come off quite as natural-sounding, and the sense of air seems a tad exaggerated. Vocals are more forward on the HEDDphones, and it seems like you have to turn up the volume on the Aryas a little more to match. The sense of realism, like you're there live with the artists, is quite enjoyable on the HEDDphones, and this is the genre I've listened to and enjoyed the most on those headphones.

Bluegrass/Folk
-----------------
Aryas with their brighter treble can bring out some instruments like steel guitars and banjos in places where the HEDDphones will recess them. For folk music which is more vocal focused, the Aryas aren't as forward and the HEDDs do better there. The more forward mids can also help some bluegrass instruments as well like violins and acoustic guitars or mandolins. Cellos do sound better on the Aryas, especially if (like in some folk songs) a bow is involved. Bluegrass is similar to jazz in that being up-front in the mids can be a definite benefit, and again they don't need as much in the way of dynamics, working in favor of the HEDDphones. There are times the treble emphasis on the Aryas is helpful, giving some instruments more presence as mentioned earlier, and you definitely hear the plucks of the strings more clearly. Tones of acoustic guitars and violins are more evident on the HEDDphones, being pushed more to the forefront with good cohesion of harmonies while still avoiding congestion. Many folk songs definitely benefit from the soundstage of the Aryas, though. It deeply depends on the album or even the song, as well as the listener's own preferences as to which one is better. I wouldn't say there's a clear winner, though for me personally, the HEDDphones do slightly better more often than not.

Hard Rock/Metal
--------------------
Hard rock and metal, Aryas win hands-down. Punchy drums, splashy treble, and for metal the expanded soundstage is quite welcome. Pleasing air around the drum hits, shredding treble texture on the guitars, and despite the depth and layers, the Arya's have a splendid ability to take the lead vocals and keep them front-and-center. Also it might be the physical size of the drivers, but big guitar moments sound BIG.

Classical
----------
This one was surprising. Symphonies are really quite enjoyable on the Aryas. The treble response brings out the tiniest details, and the soundstaging abilities is really well suited here. The better controlled bass does not intrude or bloat in any way, and there's a greater sense of dynamic range which helps bring out the crescendos better. HEDDs sound a little bit flatter, and have just a pinch too much lowend. Even string quartets sound better on the Aryas, although it's a closer race. The treble texture is quite enjoyable, and again there's a greater sense of dynamics.

Overall
---------
After feeling like this might be a slaughter for the HEDDphones, the more I listened the more nuanced the comparison became. HEDDphones are the king of jazz between the two, really, and that can be a big factor for a lot of audiophiles. But so can comfort, and for me the big problem with the HEDDphones is, as good as they sound, if a headphone isn't comfortable, the audio capabilities are sort of academic. Especially at this price, you shouldn't have to worry about if a pair of headphones might give you a headache. Maybe it won't! For people with large heads though, I don't recommend the HEDDphones. And if you place vocals high on your priority list, the HEDDphones definitely give you a little more there.

But for fun genres, Arya Stealths are the better-suited, with their crowd-pleasing slightly V-shape response, and the wow-factor of their soundstage presentation. It's like they have two drivers, one that places some sounds up-front, and another that handles more distant elements. Their "multitasking" is really quite astounding, and that goes for bass response as well. When the HEDDphones win, I feel like it's only by a slight margin, but when the Aryas win, more often it's by a landslide. They have remarkable versatility, and even the genres they're not ideal in will still sound good for most listeners. You could conceivably own this as your only headphone and be pretty darn happy.

@AntonRisto @haasaaroni
Great comparison! So glad you included the genre section, and I feel like you were really even-handed in your assessment. That really helps!

I feel similarly, in that the reason I own the Arya is for classical symphonic music. The air, spaciousness, and sense of lateral and forward depth of the Arya make it very hard to beat. I was just listening to Richter perform Dvorak’s piano concerto with Carlos Kleiber and the Bavarian State Orchestra. It’s almost like being there. Like scary good. Short of an HE1000 series or Susvara, I don’t think anything beats the Arya for that genre.

For pretty much everything else, I personally go ZMF. That unnatural quality of the vocals, even in the new Stealth version, gets to me very easily. Glad to see you felt similarly!

Nov 20, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #5,936 of 11,868
Thanks for the comparison.

Is there anything the Audeze LCD-X (2021 version) does better than the Stealth Arya? It used to be that they did bass and dynamics better (than the non-Stealth Arya), but the Stealth Arya seems improved in both those areas, so is there now any reason to own both of those headphones?

Nov 20, 2021 at 3:48 AM Post #5,937 of 11,868
POV: You have an Ananda + JDS Labs Element 1 Amp/DAC
You love Hifiman, have heard every HM model underneath them, and prefer the Ananda sig to the Sundara.

Do you get a $1000 used Arya V2 + <insert better amp> OR $1599 Arya V3 w/ current Element 1

Read from a fellow metalcore/heavy music nerd that the Stealth V3's changes lended greatly to the genre with slightly forward vocals and its slammier bass than the V2 could.
Sounds from descriptions like it borrows the tad fuller and more natural aspects of the Ananda while still maintaining enough of the the Arya V2's soundstage, at the cost of SS size and some airiness, but are more intense than the Arya V2 and Ananda too.

Am I off mark here with my assumptions, which would you choose yall?

Nov 20, 2021 at 5:53 AM Post #5,938 of 11,868
20211119_232339.jpg

Source chain
---------------

Practical things
------------------

Bass
-----

Mids
------

Treble
-------

Electronic
-----------

Jazz
-----

Bluegrass/Folk
-----------------

Hard Rock/Metal
--------------------

Classical
----------

Overall
---------

@AntonRisto @haasaaroni
Thanks for the comparison! I wish more reviewers dissected the sound with different genres like you did! It sounds like these headphones complement each other very nicely and won't sound too much alike! I actually sold my V2's last week and ordered the V3's. Now I can't wait to start listening to them!

Nov 20, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #5,939 of 11,868
My dealer, of my trust, gave me the Arya Stealth to listen to at home.
I used the V2 on the Naim Uniti Atom HE, a fine combination. Unfortunately the V2 has on my beloved Feliks Elise with CV181-MK2, can't play nicely, the V2 needs a lot of power.

The Arya Stealth, however, developed something of the Feliks, ... emotional, for me personally very close to the endgame. He does the less on stage with an organic closeness, yes ... a little warm away :scream: :relieved:
as a cable I have the Forza AudioWorks Noir HPC Mk2, nice combination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back