HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Sep 8, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #4,906 of 11,916
I tried to find out more about the Arya with stealth magnets and communicated with a technical representative from Hifiman official online store within Taobao app, they maintained that “in China, there are only 2 versions and the current version contains stealth magnet”. Queries on overseas Arya were avoided.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #4,907 of 11,916
I tried to find out more about the Arya with stealth magnets and communicated with a technical representative from Hifiman official online store within Taobao app, they maintained that “in China, there are only 2 versions and the current version contains stealth magnet”. Queries on overseas Arya were avoided.
They say that with the Sundara as well. Technically they are not wrong Sundara was a glue swap not a driver change so only 1 Version, Then came what is clearly a pad swap so they still say "technically" 1 version.
Arya first came grill *Cover (shade system) & pad swap with internal mesh moved from pad to cup so "technically" 1 version now "stealth magnets" & spec change so "technically" 2 versions.
They need a driver swap before Hifiman is willing to admit it's a revision.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #4,908 of 11,916
What happened in your case? Your amp didn't have enough power?
The amp I started with was the FX Audio DAC X6 mkii, a cheap but still decent DAC/amp combo unit. It has power spec'd at 940mW @ 16r, 900mW @ 32r, 450mW @ 120r, and 200mW @ 300r. It was good for a set of $28 Monoprice HiFI DJ cans that I bought when I was first starting to build a HP setup. But when I got a set of Hifiman/Drop he4xx planars it struggled and I never felt that I was getting the best out of them. It got sorta loud but I had absolutely no headroom, needed to turn it up to btw 3pm 4pm on the volume dial. I knew it wouldn't drive the next set of planars I was planning on buying - Fostex t50rp mkiii's. The DAC X6 is over 3 times more powerful than your current amp, for comparison.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #4,909 of 11,916
The amp I started with was the FX Audio DAC X6 mkii, a cheap but still decent DAC/amp combo unit. It has power spec'd at 940mW @ 16r, 900mW @ 32r, 450mW @ 120r, and 200mW @ 300r. It was good for a set of $28 Monoprice HiFI DJ cans that I bought when I was first starting to build a HP setup. But when I got a set of Hifiman/Drop he4xx planars it struggled and I never felt that I was getting the best out of them. It got sorta loud but I had absolutely no headroom, needed to turn it up to btw 3pm 4pm on the volume dial. I knew it wouldn't drive the next set of planars I was planning on buying - Fostex t50rp mkiii's. The DAC X6 is over 3 times more powerful than your current amp, for comparison.
That's a weird experience, considering you need 160mW for 115dB peak SPL for the HE4XX at 93dB/mW at 35Ohms. As you said, planars probably need more current, but what's the point if you just lower the volume on the more powerful amp?

Sep 9, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #4,910 of 11,916
That's a weird experience, considering you need 160mW for 115dB peak SPL for the HE4XX at 93dB/mW at 35Ohms. As you said, planars probably need more current, but what's the point if you just lower the volume on the more powerful amp?
Planars will suck up an amp's power in form of current, which takes a good power supply and output stage. Won't have to turn it down like dynamic HPs, but may need to turn it higher to provide a more constant current for a planar. Hard to explain it to those experienced with only dynamic cans (such as my former self) but once you get a planar, you'll be able to see for yourself if your amp is up to the task. I had to see for myself bc I didn't really believe it either. If your sound is either low volume, thin sounding, or raggedy and uncontrolled sounding when you wanna turn it up you probably need a more powerful amp.

Sep 9, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #4,911 of 11,916
Planars will suck up an amp's power in form of current, which takes a good power supply and output stage. Won't have to turn it down like dynamic HPs, but may need to turn it higher to provide a more constant current for a planar. Hard to explain it to those experienced with only dynamic cans (such as my former self) but once you get a planar, you'll be able to see for yourself if your amp is up to the task. I had to see for myself bc I didn't really believe it either. If your sound is either low volume, thin sounding, or raggedy and uncontrolled sounding when you wanna turn it up you probably need a more powerful amp.

What is the theoretical advantage of planar magnetics over dynamic headphones? Do they sound better in practice? All I know is that planar magnetics have a low and constant impedance which is good since I don't have to worry about impedance graphs.

Sep 9, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #4,912 of 11,916
Anyone able to compare sound characteristics of a v1 Arya vs the v3 (Stealth Magnets)? I may have an opportunity to trade + cash my v1 for a v3.

Sep 9, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #4,913 of 11,916
What is the theoretical advantage of planar magnetics over dynamic headphones? Do they sound better in practice? All I know is that planar magnetics have a low and constant impedance which is good since I don't have to worry about impedance graphs.
There's no inherent quality that puts one technology over another. One thing that many planars do better than many dynamics and even many electrostatics is deep, detailed, and well defined bass. The Aryas have deep bass that plays below 20hz (mine can play ~15hz) with virtually no or very little roll off, whereas most dynamics have a hump around the midbass and fall off well before they get to 20hz. Dynamics also have much more distortion in the lows. Planars are sometimes called fast, meaning that they respond more quickly to a musical signal and that can sound very pleasing and have much less distortion. Many planars need beefier amps than dynamics to play those deep bass frequencies and stay controlled though.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #4,914 of 11,916
Anyone able to compare sound characteristics of a v1 Arya vs the v3 (Stealth Magnets)? I may have an opportunity to trade + cash my v1 for a v3.

No, but I'd say do it if you can and report back !

Sep 11, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #4,918 of 11,916
Following up from an earlier post where I was asking if anyone knew where to find a replacement head strap. I ended up writing hifimans customer support. They let me me know that they don’t sell the strap separately and I would have to buy the entire structure.

While I appreciate the reply I’m not keen on that solution. To me it seems a bit ridiculous to not have replacement straps available, as they could get damaged or dirty. I spent $80 bucks for new pads which just arrived, and I was also not so keen on the value there as well. Not stoked on hifiman at the moment.

Sep 11, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #4,919 of 11,916
Following up from an earlier post where I was asking if anyone knew where to find a replacement head strap. I ended up writing hifimans customer support. They let me me know that they don’t sell the strap separately and I would have to buy the entire structure.

While I appreciate the reply I’m not keen on that solution. To me it seems a bit ridiculous to not have replacement straps available, as they could get damaged or dirty. I spent $80 bucks for new pads which just arrived, and I was also not so keen on the value there as well. Not stoked on hifiman at the moment.
I am in an exact situation. I bought a pair of Arya v2 (used) last week. Upon arrival I notice some damage on top of the yokes so I contacted Hifiman for a replacement headband. I was offered to send in old Arya + cash for a new pair. To me this is very anti-consumer. The Arya they took in can be easily sold as b-stock.

Sep 11, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #4,920 of 11,916
It probably has to do with the fact that all their manufacturing is done overseas. Maybe that’s also why they don’t seem to do repairs well either…just replacements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back