HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Jul 9, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #4,156 of 11,868
If the listening volume is is not super high and/or the source too quiet, it should sound pretty much exactly the same, the arya is not as hard to drive as some people may think. Probably most audiophiles with transistor amps got way too much power than they ever need :beerchug:

Jul 9, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #4,157 of 11,868
SQ is fine :) don't want to do early verdicts, but it is not night and day difference from Qudelix5k. :)

One question, when you put your DAC to max volume (0db attenuation) what will be your normal listening level volume position on H20? Thank you.
With Arya it's about 12-1:00 (regularly) to 3:30 (max-or when I want it a li'l louder), on low gain. My DAC puts out ~5.3 volts. To me, low gain sounds just slightly better than med or high gain (could be placebo). I think the stepped relay volume system operates differently than a regular volume pot and can use the whole dial range. Maybe others can chime in about the differences, if any.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #4,158 of 11,868
If the listening volume is is not super high and/or the source too quiet, it should sound pretty much exactly the same, the arya is not as hard to drive as some people may think. Probably most audiophiles with transistor amps got way too much power than they ever need :beerchug:
IMO, Arya needs good current from an amp as opposed to voltage, as do many planars. Good to have a li'l more power for headroom.

Jul 9, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #4,159 of 11,868
With Arya it's about 12-1:00 (regularly) to 3:30 (max-or when I want it a li'l louder), on low gain. My DAC puts out ~5.3 volts. To me, low gain sounds just slightly better than med or high gain (could be placebo). I think the stepped relay volume system operates differently than a regular volume pot and can use the whole dial range. Maybe others can chime in about the differences, if any.
wow! That loud! :) I can't get past 8 oclock, 7:30 is my normal listening level so 4 or 5 relay "clicks" from zero! I think X26Pro outputs 5V on XLR. Is using volume control on DAC evil?

Jul 9, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #4,160 of 11,868
My left driver started popping and now stops working for a few seconds. If I keep my head super still it works, but if I move it at all, I get static and it stops working. I ordered a new cable just to make sure that's not the case, but I'm guessing this is due to the 3.5mm port on the headphone. Has anyone else noticed something similar before?

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #4,161 of 11,868
wow! That loud! :) I can't get past 8 oclock, 7:30 is my normal listening level so 4 or 5 relay "clicks" from zero! I think X26Pro outputs 5V on XLR. Is using volume control on DAC evil?
I don't use my DAC's level control, I set it to fixed/max to preserve bits since mine has digital volume. What can I say? It doesn't really sound that loud until I go past 1:30 or 2:00 on low gain. I don't play painfully loud music but it needs to be at a level that has dynamics when I'm in the zone:L3000:. I've got an older model from a few years ago, they may have changed the gain value of the newer amps. There's not much loudness difference when I switch between gain settings on mine. How's yours when switching gain settings?

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #4,162 of 11,868
My left driver started popping and now stops working for a few seconds. If I keep my head super still it works, but if I move it at all, I get static and it stops working. I ordered a new cable just to make sure that's not the case, but I'm guessing this is due to the 3.5mm port on the headphone. Has anyone else noticed something similar before?
Seems like you're on the right track by troubleshooting the cause. Do you have any other dual plug cables to use in the meantime?

Jul 9, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #4,164 of 11,868
Nope, but Amazon will have it tomorrow. Tested my IEMs on the audio interface I'm using and they work just fine. So either the cable, driver, or 3.5mm input plug
swaping left and right jack is enough to check if it is the cable or driver...

Jul 9, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #4,165 of 11,868
I don't use my DAC's level control, I set it to fixed/max to preserve bits since mine has digital volume. What can I say? It doesn't really sound that loud until I go past 1:30 or 2:00 on low gain. I don't play painfully loud music but it needs to be at a level that has dynamics when I'm in the zone:L3000:. I've got an older model from a few years ago, they may have changed the gain value of the newer amps. There's not much loudness difference when I switch between gain settings on mine. How's yours when switching gain settings?
I've very sensitive hearing it seems. :frowning2: When I put Arya out of my head after 2+ hours there should be no "beeep" tone left in my ears... = no fatigue. The gain switch is useless on my unit too, so no difference. I've stock OP AMPs installed.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #4,167 of 11,868
Jul 9, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #4,168 of 11,868
I've very sensitive hearing it seems. :frowning2: When I put Arya out of my head after 2+ hours there should be no "beeep" tone left in my ears... = no fatigue. The gain switch is useless on my unit too, so no difference. I've stock OP AMPs installed.
Yeah, not good to have ringing in the ears after listening, that's too loud. 'Course I could be a little older than you or maybe just listen louder. I experimented with different op amps I had on hand before buying Sparkos. All in good fun. I'm going to try Sonica Imageries at a later date. Do you find that your H20 sounds different from when it was fresh out of the box? Or after it warms up from just turning it on?

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #4,169 of 11,868
Yeah, not good to have ringing in the ears after listening, that's too loud. 'Course I could be a little older than you or maybe just listen louder. I experimented with different op amps I had on hand before buying Sparkos. All in good fun. I'm going to try Sonica Imageries at a later date. Do you find that your H20 sounds different from when it was fresh out of the box? Or after it warms up from just turning it on?
I'm over forty so not so young too :) My H20 is secondhand but unused so it has maybe 6hours on and DAC is new so it has less than 3h on, H20 seller has second one and said to me, that burn in period is more than 60h and he has SA200 in its own H20 and is blown away from difference to stock OP AMPs. I cant hear any difference in sound after 1h of listening so far.
But overall it seems to me to be not that BIG step in SQ compared to Qudelix5k or LG V30 in HIM. Can it be due my low listening levels and all this subpar equipment operates in its very comfort zone and shortcomings come not into play? I've not the time to listen do desktop setup now :frowning2: only half a hour or so per day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back