HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Jul 3, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #4,096 of 11,883
Yeah, transistor amps might be not a good fit for those cans, I would agree to that. I never heard a true tube amp, so can't say anything about that.
I’ve paired the Arya with a hybrid tube amp and it works quite well. The pairing with a OPT tube amp was not as successful. It worked volume wise but took some of the urgency / punch out likely due to less power headroom and/or the specific tubes in the amp. I haven’t even tried an OTL with the Aryas.

Jul 4, 2021 at 4:42 AM Post #4,097 of 11,883
Hmm, since yesterday i was also reading, that Tube's are somewhat killing planar headphones but not dynamics? But since i have not heard that combination, i won't juge about that. Not sure thou, if i will ever be able to hear that combination, unless someone i know run that combination.

For better or worse i like darker sounding headphones overall, but the arya is still an impressive headphone for its price, just not the build quality, so fragile. And one of the most comfortable ones i have ever put on my head!!

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #4,098 of 11,883
“Common” wisdom due to impedance / power needs of planars would be not to run them off OTL. Transformer coupled and particularly hybrids often work well with planars depending on the specific pair.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #4,099 of 11,883
“Common” wisdom due to impedance / power needs of planars would be not to run them off OTL. Transformer coupled and particularly hybrids often work well with planars depending on the specific pair.
Yes, you are correct in general. Low impedance OTL, however, makes my LCD-2 and Arya really sing.

Jul 5, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #4,100 of 11,883
Jul 5, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #4,101 of 11,883
Yes, you are correct in general. Low impedance OTL, however, makes my LCD-2 and Arya really sing.
Does your LCD-2 complement the Arya? I currently have a 2021 LCD-2F and I love it. I consider it to have a very intimate warm sound signature. I‘m about to pull the trigger on the Arya but not to replace my LCD-2 but to complement it. Thanks in advance!

Jul 5, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #4,102 of 11,883
Does your LCD-2 complement the Arya? I currently have a 2021 LCD-2F and I love it. I consider it to have a very intimate warm sound signature. I‘m about to pull the trigger on the Arya but not to replace my LCD-2 but to complement it. Thanks in advance!

I may be able to help with that.

In my opinion, the arya wins in electronic music, if you are not too treble sensitive like i am. The sense of height/tallness is fantastic and the soundstage wider as well. And in songs with less action, otherwise the arya may be overwhelming and painfull.

For example, i believe, that warm/darker sounding headphones sound way more spectacular in rock/metal music. They complement very well each other. Would also avoid old/noisey music with the arya, because the detail retrieval is too harsh for less good sounding tracks and the arya really needs you to focus on music, not for laid back sessions in general.

Hope that helps a bit.

Jul 5, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #4,103 of 11,883
So here’s a somewhat heretical question: has anyone successfully EQ’d their Arya’s to tame the highs and make it warmer? Does Oratory’s EQ achieve this? Does the Arya consistently remain sibilant no matter the EQ?

Bonus: Anyone have thoughts on the Arya vs ZMF Auteur?

Jul 5, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #4,104 of 11,883
So here’s a somewhat heretical question: has anyone successfully EQ’d thotharsh

So here’s a somewhat heretical question: has anyone successfully EQ’d their Arya’s to tame the highs and make it warmer? Does Oratory’s EQ achieve this? Does the Arya consistently remain sibilant no matter the EQ?

Bonus: Anyone have thoughts on the Arya vs ZMF Auteur?
Arya takes eq very well, IMO. I don't find the v2 to be harsh or overly sibilant. I really only eq in a 3-5db bass shelf starting between ~100-200hz, if at all. I don't eq them most of the time because I don't feel it's really needed with my music and my source/DAC/amp chain. YMMV.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #4,105 of 11,883
Does the Arya consistently remain sibilant no matter the EQ?
It is just slightly bright, I'd say airy, but not sibilant at all. This is a wrong term. Being sibilant is when a headphone emphasizes certain high frequencies with high amount of graininess and lack of detail. Arya is a total opposite. It is one of the most detailed and revealing headphones. There are just slight bumps at 3-4K and 6.5-8.5K. So the term 'sibilant' is absolutely irrelevant. It is bright but in no way sibilant. Try lowering these areas in your EQ if you hear them as too bright. I never EQ my Arya because I bought it exactly for the purpose of hearing everything with the most detail possible while preserving natural tonality of the sound. I'd rather refer to Ananda for a more laid back sound. Slightly less detailed, more natural tonality, not so bright, and twice cheaper. If you don't need a precision tool for mastering like I do and you are treble sensitive then Ananda is a better choice.

The Arya's bumps in the high mid and treble areas can be tamed with EQ while there are headphones like Focal where the inherent metallic timbre just can't be cured due to the combing distribution of peaks and the material of the membrane which emphasizes the whole timbre rather than separate frequencies. Trying to battle those peaks will deprive the Focal headphones of their ability to resolve detail because their peaks seem to be interdependent.

In regards to ZMF Auteur, it is too gooey for me but I'd say there is more traditional representation of decay due to the dynamic nature of the drivers. I still like the immediacy of planar drivers more. ZMF Verite would be a much better alternative to the Arya than the Auteur. Crinacle rightly places the Arya much higher than the Auteur both in terms of tonality (A+ vs A) and especially technical performance (S- vs B+).

Jul 5, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #4,106 of 11,883
It is just slightly bright, I'd say airy, but not sibilant at all. This is a wrong term. Being sibilant is when a headphone emphasizes certain high frequencies with high amount of graininess and lack of detail. Arya is a total opposite. It is one of the most detailed and revealing headphones. There are just slight bumps at 3-4K and 6.5-8.5K. So the term 'sibilant' is absolutely irrelevant. It is bright but in no way sibilant. Try lowering these areas in your EQ if you hear them as too bright. I never EQ my Arya because I bought it exactly for the purpose of hearing everything with the most detail possible while preserving natural tonality of the sound. I'd rather refer to Ananda for a more laid back sound. Slightly less detailed, more natural tonality, not so bright, and twice cheaper. If you don't need a precision tool for mastering like I do and you are treble sensitive then Ananda is a better choice.

The Arya's bumps in the high mid and treble areas can be tamed with EQ while there are headphones like Focal where the inherent metallic timbre just can't be cured due to the combing distribution of peaks and the material of the membrane which emphasizes the whole timbre rather than separate frequencies. Trying to battle those peaks will deprive the Focal headphones of their ability to resolve detail because their peaks seem to be interdependent.

In regards to ZMF Auteur, it is too gooey for me but I'd say there is more traditional representation of decay due to the dynamic nature of the drivers. I still like the immediacy of planar drivers more. ZMF Verite would be a much better alternative to the Arya than the Auteur. Crinacle rightly places the Arya much higher than the Auteur both in terms of tonality (A+ vs A) and especially technical performance (S- vs B+).
Well said.

Jul 5, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #4,107 of 11,883
Jul 5, 2021 at 9:46 PM Post #4,109 of 11,883

Good to know! I’d like to try these headphones but was worried there were inherent brightness issues that couldn’t be adjusted with some EQ. Soundstage seems to be one of those unchangeable characteristics, so hopefully I can get a lot of the soundstage and still adjust the brightness to my preference.

One more quick question: I’m a fan of soft rock, pop, etc. Arya’s good for those? I like planar bass, and have a set of HD650’s for more “slam”.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #4,110 of 11,883
Well said.
+1 on this and Arya CAN'T tolerate bad (old or poorly mastered) recordings so listening to such a recordings can make bad judgements about Arya being sibilant. I don't EQ Arya, while good recordings are wonderful to listen to and bad are as they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back