HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Jul 1, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #4,081 of 11,883
I’m very new to this forum but I’ve learned by observation not to touch cable questions with a ten foot pole. :)
Everyone know cables make a huge difference, but only when your equipment is going through a $10,000 power conditioner connected to diamond plated wall outlets.

Jul 1, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #4,082 of 11,883
Finally got mine today. It's just outstanding, it's the sound quality of the HD800, with all the punch of the planar, I truly fell in love with it.
IMG_20210701_210422-01.jpeg

I have a question tho, as I'm still a noob about balanced/unbalanced stuff.

Is there any point of having TRS jack going into each earcups, while the 6.3 jack plugged in the amp is unbalanced for stereo?

With this kind of cable, does it actually means it can play Mono balanced, and Stereo unbalanced?

Also, can I use TS jack in earcups? I want to replace the Hifiman cable which is way too short, and those on Amazon only have 2x3.5mm jacks TS to 6.3mm.

Jul 1, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #4,083 of 11,883
Finally got mine today. It's just outstanding, it's the sound quality of the HD800, with all the punch of the planar, I truly fell in love with it.

I have a question tho, as I'm still a noob about balanced/unbalanced stuff.

Is there any point of having TRS jack going into each earcups, while the 6.3 jack plugged in the amp is unbalanced for stereo?

With this kind of cable, does it actually means it can play Mono balanced, and Stereo unbalanced?

Also, can I use TS jack in earcups? I want to replace the Hifiman cable which is way too short, and those on Amazon only have 2x3.5mm jacks TS to 6.3mm.
TS going into each earcup is still 2 poles on each side, so capable of balanced. I have an Ananda and can verify on that, which I think is same as Arya in that regard. Similar to 2 prong/pole connectors on each side of the HD6xx series and Meze 99, among what I have on hand, also capable of balanced.

I'm not clear on how the wiring works for cans that use 3 or 4 pole connectors on each cup. (Looking at you DCA Aeons)

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #4,084 of 11,883
I could listen to the arya for a fair amount of time. At first, they strike me with brutal details, relative wide soundstage, and tall sounding that goes above my head with very deep sub bass. But, as someone who knows how instruments should sound, it just feels wrong to listen with these, which is why I could only enjoy music without instruments, or when I do not know how the singer sounds like in real. Also, the treble is very aggressive and not for everyone (my ears are pretty good).

For me, the arya is like a one-night stand that you don't forget that soon, but better get yourself something that fits in the long run. But that one night better should not be rock genre, because this just doesn't sound right at all.

Jul 1, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #4,085 of 11,883
I could listen to the arya for a fair amount of time. At first, they strike me with brutal details, relative wide soundstage, and tall sounding that goes above my head with very deep sub bass. But, as someone who knows how instruments should sound, it just feels wrong to listen with these, which is why I could only enjoy music without instruments, or when I do not know how the singer sounds like in real. Also, the treble is very aggressive and not for everyone (my ears are pretty good).

For me, the arya is like a one-night stand that you don't forget that soon, but better get yourself something that fits in the long run. But that one night better should not be rock genre, because this just doesn't sound right at all.
That's the treble peaks affecting the timbre

Jul 1, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #4,087 of 11,883
I saw some review reporting that the fatiguing treble peaks was removed in the Arya V2. This is the one I've got, and I didn't notice any treble issues ( tho I'm not very treble sensitive ).
I think V2 is slightly filtered, but it's still a relatively bright headphone

Jul 2, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #4,088 of 11,883
That's the treble peaks affecting the timbre

Oratory EQ + High Shelf - a few db's help, but this razer sharp treble doesn't go away for me, it remains.

I saw some review reporting that the fatiguing treble peaks was removed in the Arya V2. This is the one I've got, and I didn't notice any treble issues ( tho I'm not very treble sensitive ).

I am treble sensitive and its V2 :)

I think V2 is slightly filtered, but it's still a relatively bright headphone

I agree. Don't get me wrong, its a pretty good headphone and i would rate it above many others, but it just doesn't sound correct to me and listen to rock music with these is almost a crime in a negative way, not for all, but many from the 60-90s.

Jul 2, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #4,089 of 11,883
Hi, little OT, but I cant decide which one XLR interconnect should I take:
Schiit Audio PYST XLR
or
Topping TCX1-25
I've ordered Gustard X26pro and need to connect it to Gustard H20, hope I'll hear Aryas full potential now. Thank you!
I don't think it would matter that much which you choose out of those choices. If I were you I'd get one that's OFC, dual shielded, with good quality Neutrik, Rean, or Amphenol XLR connectors, at a short length of .5m or thereabout. From Amazon I bought a set of World's Best Cables (WBC) 1ft Canare Star-Quad w/ Amphenol connectors - $30 for a set of two cables. Later I bought a cheaper $17 set of XLR to RCA cables to go from my H20's pre to my Emotiva a-100 for speaker listening - I had to disassemble the XLR side to cut the negative/cold side so that the XLR/RCA cables could work with other gear w/o the potential to cause damage. They both work well and didn't break the bank.

Jul 2, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #4,090 of 11,883

The brightness and timbre improves with play in time and burn in, IMO. How they're amped matters too, very bright, ruthlessly revealing amps don't necessarily pair well with Arya.

Jul 3, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #4,091 of 11,883
I don't think it would matter that much which you choose out of those choices. If I were you I'd get one that's OFC, dual shielded, with good quality Neutrik, Rean, or Amphenol XLR connectors, at a short length of .5m or thereabout. From Amazon I bought a set of World's Best Cables (WBC) 1ft Canare Star-Quad w/ Amphenol connectors - $30 for a set of two cables. Later I bought a cheaper $17 set of XLR to RCA cables to go from my H20's pre to my Emotiva a-100 for speaker listening - I had to disassemble the XLR side to cut the negative/cold side so that the XLR/RCA cables could work with other gear w/o the potential to cause damage. They both work well and didn't break the bank.
Thank you, I've ordered Topping TCX1-25, hope it will be good build quality. :)

Jul 3, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #4,092 of 11,883
The brightness and timbre improves with play in time and burn in, IMO. How they're amped matters too, very bright, ruthlessly revealing amps don't necessarily pair well with Arya.

Yeah, transistor amps might be not a good fit for those cans, I would agree to that. I never heard a true tube amp, so can't say anything about that.

As far as i know, burn-in has been tested many times, and while many headphones don't sound different at all, some has slightly changed in the frequency response, but that difference is so little, that it's pretty hard to hear, as our human ears are not as good as instruments. What we hear after burn-in are our expectations.

In my opinion, everyone needs to ask themself, who has claimed this and what is the reason behind this? A company selling headphones fear that one may send it back, but when burn-in is in the play, many people expect for it to sound different and view it differently in search of something else and most certainly will find it, even when it was there before, they just didn't pay attention to that and realize it too late to send it back, because the playtime is over.

It's called confirmation bias and the reason, why often things in high price range won't be sand back right away. Where the burn-in really starts to happen is not the headphone, but we humans adjusting to the new sound over time.

I can compare level-matched DAC/AMPs if I want fair and square because I have a switch box and self-made cables for that. But graphs from headphones won't personally help me at all, because this is, for many reasons, a very subjective thing haha (hearing capability, ear form, genre, experience how instruments sound in real life).

That is my opinion on this. I hope no one got angry because of this post, if yes, I'm sorry for that, didn't mean to :)

EDIT: As a reference. I remember sitting in a conference room, where we had to be quiet for some time and the pc noise was driving me nuts, which is why I asked if the tutor could please put something between that pc and us, but no one could hear that, until a distance of 50cm, while I was sitting 4m away. Might be the reason, why I'm a bit sensitive.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #4,093 of 11,883
I'm right there with you when it comes to most electronics and cables -- not so much when it comes to mechanical things such as speaker/headphone drivers. I can't help but think that it takes a bit of time for driver suspension to loosen up or a cartridge cantilever suspension to loosen up a bit and have their associated components settle-in to their long-term sound. Will the difference be night and day -- most likely not, but I would not go so far as to say there is no difference. My opinion, of course.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #4,094 of 11,883
Yeah, transistor amps might be not a good fit for those cans, I would agree to that. I never heard a true tube amp, so can't say anything about that.

As far as i know, burn-in has been tested many times, and while many headphones don't sound different at all, some has slightly changed in the frequency response, but that difference is so little, that it's pretty hard to hear, as our human ears are not as good as instruments. What we hear after burn-in are our expectations.

In my opinion, everyone needs to ask themself, who has claimed this and what is the reason behind this? A company selling headphones fear that one may send it back, but when burn-in is in the play, many people expect for it to sound different and view it differently in search of something else and most certainly will find it, even when it was there before, they just didn't pay attention to that and realize it too late to send it back, because the playtime is over.

It's called confirmation bias and the reason, why often things in high price range won't be sand back right away. Where the burn-in really starts to happen is not the headphone, but we humans adjusting to the new sound over time.

I can compare level-matched DAC/AMPs if I want fair and square because I have a switch box and self-made cables for that. But graphs from headphones won't personally help me at all, because this is, for many reasons, a very subjective thing haha (hearing capability, ear form, genre, experience how instruments sound in real life).

That is my opinion on this. I hope no one got angry because of this post, if yes, I'm sorry for that, didn't mean to :)

EDIT: As a reference. I remember sitting in a conference room, where we had to be quiet for some time and the pc noise was driving me nuts, which is why I asked if the tutor could please put something between that pc and us, but no one could hear that, until a distance of 50cm, while I was sitting 4m away. Might be the reason, why I'm a bit sensitive.
To each his own. My Arya set sounds substantially different from their brand new, out of the box presentation. Changes not related to frequency response, but rather with width, depth, timbre, layering, bass quantity/quality, and reduced treble harshness. My other planars have had similar changes after a burn in period - my dynamic cans, less so. By burn in I mean pink or brown noise over the course of a week or two, with periodic short listening sessions, to loosen up the diaphragm and allow it to move easier. Many have even become easier to drive, without me having to turn the volume up as much to get the same listening levels. As always, IMO, YMMV.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #4,095 of 11,883
I never had such an effect on any cans, they never changed after my initial impression, but i also never used burn-in with noise and/or normal music, so can't judge, because if you listen with it until 100 hours have passed and they changed eventually, you most probably won't notice.

By the way, even though i find the Arya overall better, i liked the tonality of the ananda more for comparison, still pretty bright like beyerdynamics or focal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back