HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Jun 21, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #4,021 of 11,881
I was complaining before that arya is harsh and not forgiving in vocals and bad recordings many people suggest to try another amp(iam using now A90/D90) and others told me no it is the headphone try another one. so I decided to buy 6xx because a lot of people said it consider warm and pleasant in the highs. I received it today after waiting maybe 3-4 weeks and I was so exited because I want to enjoy my vocal music without the annoying highs and sibilant but guss what even 6xx is sibilant and annoying. iam so confused I believe now it is the amp thing or it might be my info about 6xx is wrong!!!!

Jun 21, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #4,022 of 11,881
I was complaining before that arya is harsh and not forgiving in vocals and bad recordings many people suggest to try another amp(iam using now A90/D90) and others told me no it is the headphone try another one. so I decided to buy 6xx because a lot of people said it consider warm and pleasant in the highs. I received it today after waiting maybe 3-4 weeks and I was so exited because I want to enjoy my vocal music without the annoying highs and sibilant but guss what even 6xx is sibilant and annoying. iam so confused I believe now it is the amp thing or it might be my info about 6xx is wrong!!!!
It's likely your amp and dac. The Arya is a brighter headphone to begin with so it will be more prone to sibilance than 6xx in an all else being equal scenario. I have heard the 6xx go sibilant with some recordings on some gear chains, tho. Now, it's possible - but extremely unlikely - you're a victim of poor recordings. IME, however, Topping gear has less control on the high end than some other similarly priced models. I liked Schiit Bifrost 2 + Monolith Liquid Platinum for both Arya and 6XX. Denafrips Ares II + Lake People G111 would be my next pick in the same price range as the Topping 90 stack.

Jun 21, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #4,023 of 11,881
It's likely your amp and dac. The Arya is a brighter headphone to begin with so it will be more prone to sibilance than 6xx in an all else being equal scenario. I have heard the 6xx go sibilant with some recordings on some gear chains, tho. Now, it's possible - but extremely unlikely - you're a victim of poor recordings. IME, however, Topping gear has less control on the high end than some other similarly priced models. I liked Schiit Bifrost 2 + Monolith Liquid Platinum for both Arya and 6XX. Denafrips Ares II + Lake People G111 would be my next pick in the same price range as the Topping 90 sta

whilst I have not heard the A90 but if it's anything like the thx amps then sibilance and flat sounding seem to be the right words describing the amp. 6xx is one of the warmer headphones and I've personally not had issues with it on even the harsher more clinical amps. I'd suggest keeping the D90 I don't think the issue is there, and replacing the amp to sth like a Flux or rebel amp for some class A goodness which to my ears tame the aryas hot treble a touch

Jun 21, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #4,024 of 11,881
Yeah the a90 is not the best amp for the Arya. I had one and really preferred the Monolith thx 887 because if I'm gonna have flat and super neutral that's the one with character in between thx 789 and a90. The a90's vocals didn't sound natural to me so I sent it back and got a gently used Gustard h20 (class A) and upgraded the opamps to Sparkos discretes. That hit the spot as far as natural sounding vocals and instruments and system synergy with the Arya. D90 is probably okay maybe. Class A or a warmer tilted amp will probably do you well. Also don't forget to burn in your new components and headphones to take away the new gear edge and factory harshness. Works with many a gear, IMO. Pink noise and brown noise could be your friend.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021 at 12:19 AM Post #4,025 of 11,881
PS, you could also be treble sensitive or have been used to bass heavy or less resolving cans. Moving up to high end and very revealing HPs can be a shock to the system. Also play around with the d90's filter settings and sound options?

Jun 22, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #4,026 of 11,881
I have arya now maybe for 10-11 months I think iam very sensitive to treble and highs even I can here the sibilance in my car speakers lol omg(my own car was much better but now I have my friend car and couldn't raise the volume because of the sibilance). really I want to enjoy music it is hard now for me when it comes to vocals and iam afraid wasting money in new amp and having the same issue.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #4,027 of 11,881
I have arya now maybe for 10-11 months I think iam very sensitive to treble and highs even I can here the sibilance in my car speakers lol omg(my own car was much better but now I have my friend car and couldn't raise the volume because of the sibilance). really I want to enjoy music it is hard now for me when it comes to vocals and iam afraid wasting money in new amp and having the same issue.
Understand your frustration at being interested in good sound but having low tolerance for Sss' and Ttt's type sibilance. I'd try 'the tissue paper mod' or the Arya's 'box foam mod', look 'em up. Those mods may be on the Fostex t50rp modding thread or the he4xx mods reddit thread. That's something you can try if you're not able to eq. Quality of recordings also play a part. IMO, the other aspects of the headphone are class leading-ish. It'd be a shame to give up on the HP unless it's absolutely unbearable.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021 at 3:13 AM Post #4,028 of 11,881
I recommend Schiit Lyr 3 amp with Aryas. Throw there some good old 6SN7 (Sylvania 6SN7W metal base is the best choice for me) and the tone will be very lush, still articulate and lively with nice bell-like but smooth highs.

My new acquired Aryas are significantly smoother and bigger sounding now after 80 hours of use. Great tone.

Jun 22, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #4,029 of 11,881
Instead of Topping A90, get a Jot 2 or Singxer sa1

Jun 22, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #4,030 of 11,881
+1 for the class A goodness. But OP is kinda new and just bought the a90/d90 combo
I recommend Schiit Lyr 3 amp with Aryas. Throw there some good old 6SN7 (Sylvania 6SN7W metal base is the best choice for me) and the tone will be very lush, still articulate and lively with nice bell-like but smooth highs.

My new acquired Aryas are significantly smoother and bigger sounding now after 80 hours of use. Great tone.
Yup I had a cheap tube buffer/preamp that I rolled tubes and op amps in and had good results when I was using Emotiva a-100 as my primary headamp. Worked wonders for a small investment and it was fun.

Jun 22, 2021 at 3:24 AM Post #4,031 of 11,881
Never heard the Jot or the Singxer but I've got the Singxer's cousin Gustard h20. +1 for the class A goodness. But OP is kinda new and just bought the a90/d90 combo but doesn't like the combo with Arya. What to do without breaking the bank? Hmmm...

Jun 22, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #4,032 of 11,881
Probaply a new (or pre owned) Cavalli Liquid Platinum?

Jun 22, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #4,033 of 11,881
Never heard the Jot or the Singxer but I've got the Singxer's cousin Gustard h20. +1 for the class A goodness. But OP is kinda new and just bought the a90/d90 combo but doesn't like the combo with Arya. What to do without breaking the bank? Hmmm...

Here's a nice review of the Singxer and a comparison with JOT2...

Singxer may not be the best choice w/o performing the filter by-pass mod which requires removing the warranty sticker according to the reviewer.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #4,034 of 11,881
Most of the advice here seems to be to buy a new amp to fix the problem when the problem is that you don't like your headphone. A new amp isn't going to change Arya's tonality. The difference between the sound on A90 vs Burson Soloist or V550 is going to be like 5% at most. You've really got 2 options: EQ or get a new headphone. We've all been there - bought a headphone that we loved and first, then kinda liked, then eventually we realize we really don't like it after all. Blowing money on a new amp isn't going to fix that.

Sometimes in this hobby I feel like we get so caught up in minutiae that we miss the obvious solution. If your problem is that you don't like the way your headphones sound, get new headphones.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #4,035 of 11,881
I haven't messed with the transformers but I have installed Sparkos discrete op amps with good results. Fun Fun
My Gustard H20 just arrived...

Attachments

• 20210623_102138.jpg
    20210623_102138.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back