HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
May 20, 2021 at 12:13 AM Post #3,736 of 11,923
What made you sell the Topping A90 to get the Gustard?
Sorry for the late reply. I chose the H20 because I had tried the thx887, Schiit Magnius, and A90 but they seemed to have less vocal realism and instrument texture - like the trailing edges of vocals cut off too quickly instead of gradually. My class AB Emotiva a100 sounded more natural to me so I decided that chip amps weren't for me.

May 20, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #3,738 of 11,923
Is the A90 a good pairing with the Arya?
IMO, not really. Arya is excellent for its price in spatial performance (soundstage and imaging) and detail retrieval. Those are areas where Topping's approach to amplification struggles. The same can be said of THX, FWIW. Topping and THX amp tech is very similar. Currently the Monolith Liquid Platinum is on sale for $500. Its sound complements Hifiman's house sound very well, IMO. I've tried Arya, Edition X V2 and HE1000v2 on that amp, and they've all had good-to-excellent timbre, dynamics, spatial re-creation, and detail retrieval on the Liquid Plat. Hope this helps. Good luck on your search!

May 20, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #3,739 of 11,923
Hi friend. I looked up your amp. You may need more power. I say that because the power spec is not listed for your unit - a DAC/amp combo - and Aryas can be power hungry.
Says 1.5w at 32...while that may be enough power to drive them volume wise, he’ll need more to fully bring out the Arya’s performance. My dap outputs 1.2w into 32 and it gets loud enough but sounds no where near as good as my adi2/sa1 combo at the same volume. Simply put, he needs more.

May 20, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #3,740 of 11,923
Watts is derived using the formula Volts x Amps.

.5v x 3a = 1.5 watts.
3v x .5a = 1.5 watts.

The above devices have the same power/watts output but are obviously getting to their specified power/watts rating via a different path. Planar drivers perform better with more amps/current, where-as dynamic drivers do better with more voltage. When driving planar drivers it is best to look for higher current amplifiers to deliver the desired power/watts.

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #3,741 of 11,923
Power delivery is often more important than actual power rating, too. Most power specs are measured at 1KHz. That can be especially tricky with dynamic drivers. A dynamic driver is essentially an inductor, and inductors increase their load on a circuit as frequency increases. There is also increased physical resistance for a dynamic driver near its resonant frequency (which usually lands somewhere in the 60-100Hz range). So dynamic drivers often need more power in the high and low frequencies but many amps, especially budget amps, can't ramp up the power to meet the needs. Planar drivers (like Arya) present a much different load. Their impedance is nearly constant, and often quite low, so they draw more current from an amp. This current draw often puts more demand on the amp's power supply, which often means the more robust the power supply the better the amp will handle a planar driver, regardless of its rated power spec. But, there is a lot of design that goes into it as well. For example, the Geshelli Labs Archel 2 GMR has a 12V, 0.5A power supply, which as @Ripper2860 points out above, gives it 6 watts of power to work with to do all its things. Amps are not 100% efficient so not all of that 6 watts can be delivered to the drivers. However, the GMR sounds much more in-control and authoritative in the low end than the iFi Zen CAN rated at 1.6W at 32 ohm and with a 5V/2.5A PSU (12.5W available). The GMR delivers the power more efficiently and effectively.

May 20, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #3,742 of 11,923
Yeah. I was trying to keep it simple. :D

May 20, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #3,743 of 11,923
Yeah. I was trying to keep it simple. :D

Bahaha. Sorry, dude. Professional educator here. Was only hoping to strengthen your point; hope I did. :beerchug:

May 20, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #3,744 of 11,923
LOL!! You did. Thanks!!! :D

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #3,747 of 11,923
Power delivery is often more important than actual power rating, too. Most power specs are measured at 1KHz. That can be especially tricky with dynamic drivers. A dynamic driver is essentially an inductor, and inductors increase their load on a circuit as frequency increases. There is also increased physical resistance for a dynamic driver near its resonant frequency (which usually lands somewhere in the 60-100Hz range). So dynamic drivers often need more power in the high and low frequencies but many amps, especially budget amps, can't ramp up the power to meet the needs. Planar drivers (like Arya) present a much different load. Their impedance is nearly constant, and often quite low, so they draw more current from an amp. This current draw often puts more demand on the amp's power supply, which often means the more robust the power supply the better the amp will handle a planar driver, regardless of its rated power spec. But, there is a lot of design that goes into it as well. For example, the Geshelli Labs Archel 2 GMR has a 12V, 0.5A power supply, which as @Ripper2860 points out above, gives it 6 watts of power to work with to do all its things. Amps are not 100% efficient so not all of that 6 watts can be delivered to the drivers. However, the GMR sounds much more in-control and authoritative in the low end than the iFi Zen CAN rated at 1.6W at 32 ohm and with a 5V/2.5A PSU (12.5W available). The GMR delivers the power more efficiently and effectively.
I am trying to figure out what my Sony TA ZH1ES delivers but I am clearly too dumb to understand it from the manual. I dont get where I can find out about that. The Arya sounds good from the non balanced out but I hope it will improve with the balanced XLR cable that I ordered.

May 20, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #3,748 of 11,923
I am trying to figure out what my Sony TA ZH1ES delivers but I am clearly too dumb to understand it from the manual. I dont get where I can find out about that. The Arya sounds good from the non balanced out but I hope it will improve with the balanced XLR cable that I ordered.
Balanced output 1.2W @ 32 Ohms

May 20, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #3,750 of 11,923
IMO, not really. Arya is excellent for its price in spatial performance (soundstage and imaging) and detail retrieval. Those are areas where Topping's approach to amplification struggles. The same can be said of THX, FWIW. Topping and THX amp tech is very similar. Currently the Monolith Liquid Platinum is on sale for $500. Its sound complements Hifiman's house sound very well, IMO. I've tried Arya, Edition X V2 and HE1000v2 on that amp, and they've all had good-to-excellent timbre, dynamics, spatial re-creation, and detail retrieval on the Liquid Plat. Hope this helps. Good luck on your search!
Are you using it with stock power supply or did you upgrade to LPS? I didn't like its midrange forwardness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back