HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
May 14, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #3,691 of 11,880
I would go for a warmer amp personally for arya. To be honest, I think op amp based amps aren't really that good sounding. A Jotunheim 2 would be nice, and a Monolith Liquid Platinum by Alex Cavalli would be amazing
Funny, I'm using a cap-modded LP right now and was just considering getting a different amp. I do love the tonality and detail, but the soundstage (at least compared with my jumper-intalled Emotiva BasX A-100) is really confined - in comparison.

I was thinking of jumping up to the Flux Labs FA-10 actually, after hearing what more power does to these. Anyone here try that combination? I know it doesn't add much warmth, but I hear it adds a lot of punch and can smooth out the highs a little.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in the LP, I might just sell it soon :sweat_smile:

May 15, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #3,692 of 11,880
It sounds good on the Arya, but more like a spacious speaker experience: vast and a bit soft. For EDM I prefer something more dynamic with more impact (Audeze for example).
Quite. I had gone from the Aryas to the LCD-3s. Play any recording that has a kick drum. Night and day different in dynamics between the two. I could hear more detail in the Arya bass (especially texture in bass guitar tracks).

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #3,693 of 11,880
May 15, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #3,697 of 11,880
In my system, Arya has no problem with treble,or are those my ears
Yes. Lol. It could be all of the above. You might be one of the lucky ones who isn't treble sensitive. I'm jealous. There would be way more listening options if I didn't have those mid and treble sensitivities I mention in the review. What is your system, BTW?

May 15, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #3,698 of 11,880
Briefly: DAC-Pegasus (R2R)(NOS), Bryston BHA1
but I corrected the sound with the cables a lot, in terms of detail, cleaner sound, bigger stage, blacker background and the magic of energy brought by power cables (actually those in addition to the feeling you got quality energy, add even more detail and texture).I spent the same amount of money on cables as much on the DAC and amp together, but it was necessary, they are all copper
Arya continues to fascinate me
ADDED
I misdirected you, in fact I didn't "corrected" the sound, I avoided silver
With better quality cables, you only "remove dust" from the sound that exists with worse cables

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #3,699 of 11,880
Many accept headphones as the most important component in the system, but this is not true, every component in the system is equal including cables, and neglecting one of these components degrades the whole system. Your system is as good as the worst component in the system.
Arya are expensive headphones because they require an expensive system
but that's no reason not to keep the fun going, through Arya all systems sound good

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #3,700 of 11,880
May 15, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #3,701 of 11,880
Briefly: DAC-Pegasus (R2R)(NOS), Bryston BHA1

Very nice!

With better quality cables, you only "remove dust" from the sound that exists with worse cables

In general I agree that cables are important. I also posted HE1000v2 and Diana Phi reviews today and in both reviews I talk about how the headphone cables made a difference. I haven't fallen down the rabbit hole of signal and USB cables yet. My system has been in too much flux to go nuts on cables yet. But, it's settling down a bit now so I'll probably start exploring signal and USB cables through the summer.

Unfortunately I bought my Vio V281 used after I had to return the Arya to its owner. I would like to hear the Arya again on that amp.

May 15, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #3,702 of 11,880
Great Arya review, I also read your HEKv2 review and I’m debating between them but I can’t get some points : they seem to share the same driver so is Arya a rebadged HEKv2 ? Which one sound the most natural and musical ? In short which one sound the most « beautiful » ? :)

Thank you!

they seem to share the same driver so is Arya a rebadged HEKv2 ?

No. The family tree graphic linked to in my HekV2 review shows that Arya uses tech handed down from the HE1000 series, but they are not the same. For one, they have different signatures. The Arya is more neutral-bright where the HekV2 is a warm-ish/gentle v. The HekV2 is very much technically superior in all areas save macrodynamics (the physcial punch/slam type of thing). But, after I wrote those reviews a acquired a Berkeley Alpha S2 DAC. That with the Vio V281 brought a fair amount of slam to the HekV2. I imagine it would do similarly with Arya but cannot say to what extent.

Which one sound the most natural and musical ?

What kind of music do you listen to? Let's talk about that. How you answer that question likely will depend on what your preferred sound signature and music genre preferences are. EDIT: Also...what's your source gear situation (amp and dac)? They're both a bit source picky...

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #3,703 of 11,880
Many accept headphones as the most important component in the system, but this is not true, every component in the system is equal including cables, and neglecting one of these components degrades the whole system. Your system is as good as the worst component in the system.
Arya are expensive headphones because they require an expensive system
but that's no reason not to keep the fun going, through Arya all systems sound good
I apologize for being negative
Indeed, the biggest leap in the auditory experience is obtained with good headphones
I'll probably start exploring signal and USB cables through the summer.
I can warmly recommend it - Inakustik Referentz USB 2.0. I set it instead of WireWorld Ultraviolet 5, the jump in sound was ... it is better to say hyperscope in details, like switching from HD to 4K
I would add that you study about the lengths of USB cables, there are impressions that the lengths of 1.5m-2m sound better, but there is no technical support for these claims
Mine is 1.2m

Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #3,705 of 11,880
What kind of music do you listen to? Let's talk about that. How you answer that question likely will depend on what your preferred sound signature and music genre preferences are. EDIT: Also...what's your source gear situation (amp and dac)? They're both a bit source picky...

I listen to rock (Springsteen a lot, dire straits, etc), vocals, live songs, acoustics. My preferred sound signature is balanced and natural sound.

I actually have HE6se, believe it or not but I consider it nearly end game in term of tonality and timbre (step up would certainly be Susvara) and punch. HE6se is definitely not a bright headphone.

I just want a different sound signature and I’m looking for a bigger and maybe smoother sound.

I have Flux FCN-10 dac / amp : AKM velvet dac and pure class A amp (2x16w @32 ohm), a really really great combo with a natural yet engaging sound.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back