HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Aug 4, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #2,177 of 11,883
Do you know if there are any custom earpads for these Hifiman headphones? like the Arya, HEK, I searched and didn't see anything except the stock pads.

Not that I know except a really cheesy looking one from China I saw last year for like $6.

1. I think you can make felt or cotton "thing" that's maybe 1/3 - 1/2" thick form fit to the drivers and the existing pads, and put them all together and just get it on your head to try.

2. If that works buy another stock pad, and unstich one half side, work in the new material, add more fabric if needed to restich.

I tried wedging in a flexible but firm rubber on the side against the driver. You get more height but it really zings up the bass (too much). I learned that here on a Fostex thread.

Of course there is always a digital parametric EQ for freq issues, but won't help much with spatial issues.

Aug 4, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #2,178 of 11,883
Not that I know except a really cheesy looking one from China I saw last year for like $6.

1. I think you can make felt or cotton "thing" that's maybe 1/3 - 1/2" thick form fit to the drivers and the existing pads, and put them all together and just get it on your head to try.

2. If that works buy another stock pad, and unstich one half side, work in the new material, add more fabric if needed to restich.

I tried wedging in a flexible but firm rubber on the side against the driver. You get more height but it really zings up the bass (too much). I learned that here on a Fostex thread.

Of course there is always a digital parametric EQ for freq issues, but won't help much with spatial issues.
Yea there's no way I can do all of that haha. I just wished Dekoni would make some for these the Arya and HEK.

Aug 5, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #2,179 of 11,883
No, they are two different functions. Leaving the Hugo 2 plugged in for 24 hours bypasses the battery, which comes in handy when using it as a DAC only. Since you're not putting wear and tear on the battery. DAC only/line level out mode activates the 3V rms output. The power button for DAC only mode seems to be a different shade of purple as well.

Oh I see, thanks for explaining. So that means I can enable dac only/line out mode even while its in desktop mode then?

Aug 5, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #2,180 of 11,883
I wonder if there's a better headphones out there that is better than the Arya and is around the same price range?

Heddphone?

Edit: I haven't heard the Heddphone (yet) but that is the next one i want to audition in this price range.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2020 at 2:02 AM Post #2,181 of 11,883
Aug 5, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #2,183 of 11,883
Mmmhhh...i think a used HEK V2 still goes for quite a lot more than a brand new Arya.

If you only shop HiFi Shark where the asking is around $2600, you might think so, but a deeper dive found six of them where the ask is/was $1590-2000. I'll point out that anyone that pays asking for a used headphone isn't doing their due diligence in 90% of the cases. Also v2's are in closeout, which will depress the used price.

Saw a v1 for $1300 ask also - that'll end up at/under $1150.

Aug 5, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #2,184 of 11,883
HEDDphone? not a fan of it, it looks kinda weird to me. Even if it sound better than the Arya, I wouldn't buy / use it.

You put appearance over sound quality?

Aug 5, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #2,186 of 11,883
Yes, because when you already spending that much, the headphones need to have 3 things: Sound, build quality, comfort / look

Well, that's valid for you, and others, I'm pretty far over the other side.

1. Sound - do they do mellow and full scale loud? Soundstage, accuracy, subtle overtones heard?
2. Sound w/ mods and/or EQ
3. Cost for 1 & 2 which is why often buy used, and likely resale prices over time more pleasant to consider having bought used)

4. Comfort - can I stand them for :30 minutes, reclined with my head on a supportive surface?
9. Build quality; I've owned 8 HFM cans, with no problems (besides crappy cables and pads), so I'm lucky or don't care.

Not factors: coolness factor, looks, country of build.

The cans that I've owned that I hate are on the list for sound (or lack thereof).

Aug 6, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #2,187 of 11,883
Got my Arya last week and am really happy with them. The only complaint I have is the cable, but that's for another day, can live with it for now.

Currently my desktop setup is Roon -> Rpi4 -> Topping E30 -> Schiit Heresy. I'd love to have the ability to use the Aryas in the living room or somewhere else in the house and would be willing to move the Heresy to achieve this.

I've been looking at a couple of options - Topping L30, looks great and have been very happy with E30 and D10 that I have, but am tempted by going balanced.

Topping A90 - Reviews have been great and have seen people on here very happy with the pairing.

Anyone go from a Heresy or something of that level to an A90? Worth the upgrade?

Anything else I should be looking at? Budget around 500 euro

Aug 6, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #2,188 of 11,883
Some observations :-
- The Pads have become softer and flexes better over the mastoid bone, this IMO contributes to a better coherence in the staging and imaging
- Earlier I observed a certain hollowness in the middle of the stage, and vocals seemed to arise from around the emptiness, but now it is placed better right at the middle and front with instruments all around.
- My head is of a large size, atleast that's what I assume, since I've nearly maxed out the adjustments in all the headphones I've used in the past
- For the Arya, my newly discovered most comfortable setting seems to be the 3rd last hole from the top most one. My optimal measurement is to make sure the inferior rim of the pad's inner surface lies just below the ear lobule
- Any other setting which provides more "free-ness" at the beginning, may produce hotspots in the mid scalp and along the mastoid bone after half and hour or so.

Aug 6, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #2,189 of 11,883
Ok, this is just a short, totally unnecessary and uninformative, rant for my admiration for the Arya. Sorry. :wink:

But I just listened to my older Edition X v2's on my A90's. Holy f*ck, the Arya is such an incredible headphone on the A90 in comparison to the Edition X v2's. Arya gigantic, detailed, super transparent, engaging, tangible soundstage is so immersive and seductive. My other headphones sound claustrophobic, dull and coarse. What a magical combination, I am still so much blown away by the experience. No headphone in my arsenal benefited more from the A90 upgrade than the Arya's.

Am I the only A90/Arya idiot here?

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #2,190 of 11,883
Ok, this is just a short, totally unnecessary and uninformative, rant for my admiration for the Arya. Sorry. :wink:

But I just listened to my older Edition X v2's on my A90's. Holy f*ck, the Arya is such an incredible headphone on the A90 in comparison to the Edition X v2's. Arya gigantic, detailed, super transparent, engaging, tangible soundstage is so immersive and seductive. My other headphones sound claustrophobic, dull and coarse. What a magical combination, I am still so much blown away by the experience. No headphone in my arsenal benefited more from the A90 upgrade than the Arya's.

Am I the only A90/Arya idiot here?

Well my A90 is out for delivery today, so I will get it in couple hours. I will let you know

Users who are viewing this thread

Back