HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Aug 4, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #2,161 of 11,883
Just got these on Amazon. Hope they live up to the hype. The last time I got caught up in hype was with the LCD-2. They sound good but I ended up using my 6XX/580 as my daily driver and the LCD-2 sits more often then not. Mainly because of comfort and the way I sit the LCD-2 never feels secure.

If I'm not blow away by the Arya gonna send them back to Amazon. Hope the Gilmore Lite mk2 is up to snuff for it.

Aug 4, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #2,162 of 11,883
The Hugo 2 doesn't work as a DAC alone. It's a headamp and dac built into a single stage, so even when using line out, the DAC isn't seperate. So when you connect an amp to Hugo 2, it double amplifies, which would produce distortion for sure. But some review sites like headfonia does the exact same thing. They pair Hugo 2 with a High end tube amp like an Auris Audio HA2, for difficult to drive planars in order to obtain a top class sound.
You can put the Hugo 2 into DAC only mode with a button sequence and not have to worry about double amplification. I use my Hugo 2 as a DAC for my Liquid Platinum and the pairing is outstanding. No distortion to be heard.

Aug 4, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #2,163 of 11,883
You can put the Hugo 2 into DAC only mode with a button sequence and not have to worry about double amplification. I use my Hugo 2 as a DAC for my Liquid Platinum and the pairing is outstanding. No distortion to be heard.
Could you please share about the mentioned button sequence ? I've always read and thought that it wasn't possible.

Aug 4, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #2,165 of 11,883
Could you please share about the mentioned button sequence ? I've always read and thought that it wasn't possible.
Sure, to put the Hugo 2 into DAC only or line out mode, hold down the cross feed button before pressing the power button. The power light should shine a purple color.

Aug 4, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #2,166 of 11,883
Sure, to put the Hugo 2 into DAC only or line out mode, hold down the cross feed button before pressing the power button. The power light should shine a purple color.

that is the same as leaving H2 plugged into a power source for at least 24h?

or rather is pressing those buttons in sequence a "shortcut" instead

Aug 4, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #2,167 of 11,883
that is the same as leaving H2 plugged into a power source for at least 24h?

or rather is pressing those buttons in sequence a "shortcut" instead
No, they are two different functions. Leaving the Hugo 2 plugged in for 24 hours bypasses the battery, which comes in handy when using it as a DAC only. Since you're not putting wear and tear on the battery. DAC only/line level out mode activates the 3V rms output. The power button for DAC only mode seems to be a different shade of purple as well.

Aug 4, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #2,168 of 11,883
Just got these on Amazon. Hope they live up to the hype. The last time I got caught up in hype was with the LCD-2. They sound good but I ended up using my 6XX/580 as my daily driver and the LCD-2 sits more often then not. Mainly because of comfort and the way I sit the LCD-2 never feels secure.

If I'm not blow away by the Arya gonna send them back to Amazon. Hope the Gilmore Lite mk2 is up to snuff for it.
The treble might sound a bit harsh out of the box, which surprised me when I received my v2's to replace my secondhand v1's. My secondhand v1's did not exhibit any such harshness when I first listened to them (they were the daily drivers of the previous owner). Thankfully, the harshness of my v2's largely went away with burn in. With more burn-in, the sound of the v2's is almost indistinguishable to my beloved v1's (⚰).

Additionally, I disliked the comfort of the brand new pads of the v2's compared to the secondhand well-worn pads of the v1's. Again, thankfully after two weeks (headtime and box storage time), the clampforce and the pad comfort improved but they are still not as comfortable as my previous pair yet. Before I kind of scoffed at the reports of comfort issues with the Arya's by other posters and reviewers. After trying and breaking in a brand new pair, I can see their point now.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #2,170 of 11,883
Additionally, I disliked the comfort of the brand new pads of the v2's compared to the secondhand well-worn pads of the v1's. Again, thankfully after two weeks (headtime and box storage time), the clampforce and the pad comfort improved but they are still not as comfortable as my previous pair yet. Before I kind of scoffed at the reports of comfort issues with the Arya's by other posters and reviewers. After trying and breaking in a brand new pair, I can see their point now.

I believe the Arya has the same headband as came with my 560. You can bend the metal part to make the clamp force as strong or weak as you want. Just be careful with the plastic sliders. One of mine popped off, had to buy a new headband.

Aug 4, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #2,172 of 11,883
Aug 4, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #2,174 of 11,883

Users who are viewing this thread

Back