HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Jun 28, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #1,891 of 11,880
Yes I am :) We have some hidden gems, unfortunately Turkish Music is not well known in U.S. There are some pretty popular Turkish Singers in Europe tho.

Yes, I think it's because of millions of Turks in Europe. :D

I'm personally not a fan of Turkish music, especially the modern ones. But I have some guilty pleasures as well, haha.

Jun 28, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #1,892 of 11,880
So I have been using the Arya's for a few days. They absolutely sound amazing! Soundstage, imaging, and details are spectacular. Love the layers and can hear things vertically. Shake my head all the time and say wow. Unfortunately, I think I am going to have to return them. The ear shape does not fit my head right. The front of the ear cups lay on my jaw line and after an hour if that it gets sore. I literally have a sore jaw. If I push it's tender on that bump where your jaw attaches. Doesn't hurt anywhere else. Even my uncomfortable HD58x super clamp force from hell don't make me sore. They just torture me while listening. I have tried different settings in the headband, but nothing works. Tried moving them around and it still hits the same spot. Anyone else have this problem? I have a slightly bigger head/jaw, but the top of my head to ear distance is evidently short. On most headphones I am 2 to 3 clicks max outward usually. I always wonder why they have so many damn clicks. Do people have cone heads? Never had this problem with round driver headphones. I want to listen, but getting PTSD about putting them back on. Jealous of everyone who doesn't have this issue. Amazing set of cans!!! I ordered some Sundara's hoping they retain some % of the sound signature. Not expecting miracles. My Elegia's while heavy don't hurt and I can wear them for hours. They do get hot, but that is expected from closed backs.

Jun 28, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #1,893 of 11,880
Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #1,894 of 11,880
So I have been using the Arya's for a few days. They absolutely sound amazing! Soundstage, imaging, and details are spectacular. Love the layers and can hear things vertically. Shake my head all the time and say wow. Unfortunately, I think I am going to have to return them. The ear shape does not fit my head right. The front of the ear cups lay on my jaw line and after an hour if that it gets sore. I literally have a sore jaw. If I push it's tender on that bump where your jaw attaches.
Sorry about the fit. Yeah, I love their sound too. On my preferred setting (single click from the bottom), the fifth bar of the grill from the top is almost aligned with eye. Also, I position front part of the cup slightly behind my TMJ while the rest of front cup, heading downwards, continues to angle away and behind my jawline. Just make sure that you position the Aryas behind your jawline. Also, use the Dekoni nuggets as someone else suggested if you need some more added clearance.

Even widely touted comfortable cans such as my HD800S caused jaw pain at first (could barely open my jaw!) because the front part of those cups were resting directly on and pressing my TMJ. I chose a lower setting and pivoted the cups of the HD800S a little more outwardly away from my TMJ, problem solved.

Jun 29, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #1,895 of 11,880
Sorry about the fit. Yeah, I love their sound too. On my preferred setting (single click from the bottom), the fifth bar of the grill from the top is almost aligned with eye. Also, I position front part of the cup slightly behind my TMJ while the rest of front cup, heading downwards, continues to angle away and behind my jawline. Just make sure that you position the Aryas behind your jawline. Also, use the Dekoni nuggets as someone else suggested if you need some more added clearance.

Even widely touted comfortable cans such as my HD800S caused jaw pain at first (could barely open my jaw!) because the front part of those cups were resting directly on and pressing my TMJ. I chose a lower setting and pivoted the cups of the HD800S a little more outwardly away from my TMJ, problem solved.

I'm looking for something with a nice wide soundstage to compliment the Focal Clear. I see you have both the Arya and the 800s. These two are the top of my list. How would you say they compare? Is there anything else in that price range worth considering?

Jun 29, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #1,896 of 11,880
So I have been using the Arya's for a few days. They absolutely sound amazing! Soundstage, imaging, and details are spectacular. Love the layers and can hear things vertically. Shake my head all the time and say wow. Unfortunately, I think I am going to have to return them. The ear shape does not fit my head right. The front of the ear cups lay on my jaw line and after an hour if that it gets sore. I literally have a sore jaw. If I push it's tender on that bump where your jaw attaches. Doesn't hurt anywhere else. Even my uncomfortable HD58x super clamp force from hell don't make me sore. They just torture me while listening. I have tried different settings in the headband, but nothing works. Tried moving them around and it still hits the same spot. Anyone else have this problem? I have a slightly bigger head/jaw, but the top of my head to ear distance is evidently short. On most headphones I am 2 to 3 clicks max outward usually. I always wonder why they have so many damn clicks. Do people have cone heads? Never had this problem with round driver headphones. I want to listen, but getting PTSD about putting them back on. Jealous of everyone who doesn't have this issue. Amazing set of cans!!! I ordered some Sundara's hoping they retain some % of the sound signature. Not expecting miracles. My Elegia's while heavy don't hurt and I can wear them for hours. They do get hot, but that is expected from closed backs.
It's amazing how different we all are. I find the Arya to be one of the most comfortable headphones I've owned. I'm just the opposite with what must be a larger than normal distance from top of head to ears as I max out the extension of most phones.

Jun 29, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #1,897 of 11,880
The HEADPHONE Show's review of the Arya, Foral Clear and the LCD-X seems to be very much in line with this thread.

The Arya and Clear almost sound like the opposites, completing each other. Do you reckon, they would make a good pair in one's headphone collection, strictly limited to two pairs? My taste for music mostly prefers orchestral chassics, opera, folk, pop. But I do occasionally venture into the domains of electronics and even metal.

Jun 29, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #1,898 of 11,880
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I have been playing around with fitment - changing every 30 min. Folded a wash cloth with different thickness layers both parallel and perpendicular under the headband. Even cut up some soft foam material to mimmick the nuggets I had left from an old pillow. No matter what I do there is pressure on the vertical jaw line. My ears also start to touch the pads if I move up, down, front, or back too much. Just took them off and it was like a huge release of pressure on my head. Jaw is sore again. I am sad to have to send them back, but I will not spend money to be tortured. Yet to find a perfect headphone comfort wise, but after a short time you can usually acclimate for a few hours. Surprisingly, the heavier Focal design is the most comfortable headphone I own so far. I am not a negative person and please do not think I am bashing the Arya. It just doesn't fit my head properly. The search continues!! It's all about the journey and learning along the way.

Jun 29, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #1,899 of 11,880
Just got mine a couple days ago and I've been just running them with music at medium volume to break them in. I'm surprised these don't come with a balanced cable and the cable they do come with is short for the only cable. It's not like these are portable headphones and apparently they benefit from the power quite a bit. So, remember to purchase your balanced cable ahead of time! I'll hold off on my impressions till I've had a week or so of listening to them. The Edition X v2 was one of my favorite heapdhones so I'm really hoping these are an Edition X v3, like they appear to be.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #1,900 of 11,880
Was able to pick up a pair for $1.2k brand new to compliment my HD800 and Atticus, and i can't help but feel like it sounds like an interesting blend of the two.

Jul 2, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #1,901 of 11,880
Had the same problem. Can't stand the ear cups, and I get inner ear discomfort because of the sound pressure. Like you a real torture. But I love my Aryas so I MODDED it to get close to the Abyss Phi Style. I took a 1/4 threaded rod with rod couplings. Now I can fine tune the clamp force, and it's so much better. I don't feel any pressure anymore. Sound has improved too ( try it, with your hands, lets the air pass and you will feel more subbass rumble without affecting the overall sound)
If you try this mod, be careful to not damage your headband and cups.
And if someone find a better system, tell me please. This is the version 1.0 :)

Attachments

• abyss_ab_1266_cc_2_740x.jpg
    abyss_ab_1266_cc_2_740x.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 0
  • _DSC6061.JPG
    _DSC6061.JPG
    462.8 KB · Views: 0
  • _DSC6062.JPG
    _DSC6062.JPG
    764.3 KB · Views: 0
  • _DSC6063.JPG
    _DSC6063.JPG
    425.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 2, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #1,902 of 11,880
Wow. Much better than my suggestion of re-shaping ones head to conform to the headphone. :smirk:

Capture.JPG

Jul 2, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #1,904 of 11,880
Don't do it!!! Had the same 'fit' issue with Ananda and this solved it for me. Comes in a 4-pack, but 2 or 3 strategically placed on the leather headband strap solved my issues, allowing me to set the ear cups above my jaw line making things more comfortable...

https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dekoni-audio-nuggets-headphone-headband-pressure-relief-pads-4-pack/

Right, I couldn't get my HEX v2's to line up on my head (tried various things) then found the nuggets. Two did it for me.

Jul 4, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #1,905 of 11,880
Hi everyone, thanks to a bit too short stand, and a bit too big pair of headphones (the Arya), I ended up breaking the right end of the cable, as you can see in the picture :cry:. I can still hear from the right, however if I turn my head (or anyway slightly move the cable) the sound interrupts on the right, which is pretty annoying

However, apart from a different stand, which cable would you suggest me to buy? Should I buy again the original one (I could have been more careful, however, do you think the original cable is weak)? I don't have a balanced amp. Thanks

PS: this is the stand I used https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07J9T9K48/

Attachments

• IMG_5805.jpg
    IMG_5805.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

• slt
Back