HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Mar 21, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #1,591 of 11,873
Previously owned the HiFiMan HE1000 v1. We are in Movement Control Order here in Malaysia (something like a lockdown) so I just got my HiFiMan Arya and Ananda BT to work from home.

I am not sure if this has been answered yet, but I would like to ask if the Arya uses the same drivers as the HE1000 with a different tuning?

Mar 21, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #1,592 of 11,873
Previously owned the HiFiMan HE1000 v1. We are in Movement Control Order here in Malaysia (something like a lockdown) so I just got my HiFiMan Arya and Ananda BT to work from home.

I am not sure if this has been answered yet, but I would like to ask if the Arya uses the same drivers as the HE1000 with a different tuning?
Supposedly it does with a different tuning. Let us know what you think of them.

Mar 21, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #1,593 of 11,873
Simple $100 Magni Heresey can power these to deafening levels with authority. I don't know what the other guy was talking about. I didn't find my Audio-GD FUN had enough punch. Not as much oomph but the Schitt has enough power.

volume does not equal properly driven.

being driven means its dynamic range and resolution are pushed properly.

you can get a 1000 watt sub LOUD with a 500 watt amp too.
Doesn't mean its pushing it properly.

Mar 21, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #1,594 of 11,873
Supposedly HEK v1 drivers through a new more modern process to produce them cheaper as well

Mar 21, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #1,595 of 11,873
Would you (or anyone else) consider the Arya a huge step up over the Sundara? (I also have that and the 400i).

I'm thinking, yea, duh, but just wondering if it's really worth taking that plunge. (My most expensive headphone to date is the T1 which I paid $900 for iirc back shortly after it came out. Great phone, but I love the planar sound of HiFiman).

I'm primarily worried about the Arya being a more "atmospheric" headphone due to its unique sound staging capabilities over more narrow staged cans like the Sundara and thus losing some focus or excitement.

I like a forward presentation for much of the music (rock, pop, metal) I listen to...with the huge qualification that I find the Sundara's stage somewhat claustrophobic, congested, and narrow and I also listen to many genres that benefit from a wider/more refined sound stage and presentation (well recorded classical, jazz, folk, world music, atmospheric electronic, etc.).

Also, I like to hear instruments placed properly in the sound stage (like with speakers), love to pick them out (almost like out of the air), and love space between them (instrument separation). Ultimately I'll choose sophistication or refinement over a more engaging or direct presentation, but I worry that a wider sound stage will reduce the energy or excitement over a more narrowly focused can.

TIA and take care of yourselves and each other.

EDIT: I realized that I could simply use my Sundaras or T1 for more aggressive music, so the potential problem of the Aryas not being forward enough for some music becomes mostly a non-issue even if I'd rather have one all rounder. Still reticent to spend this much though!

PS: Anyone think that what's going on with the global economy will cause new headphones to be significantly reduced in price? I'm very reticent to buy used or even open box...but I'd like to pay only about $1200 for the Arya's. I have mostly worked from home for many years, but now my significant other is as well for the foreseeable future (due to the pandemic) so I'm using my speakers less and headphones more and thus more acutely aware of their limitations. So I'm eager to buy, but not if in a month or two significant price drops may be coming.

(And yes I'm aware of the Anandas, but they seem to be basically a halfway mark between the Sundara's and Arya's and I'd rather just get end game cans instead of yet another "compromise" headphone that I will want to upgrade sooner or later...like my Sundara's which I really like but am also aware of their limits).

PPS: I'll be driving these with the wonderful Gilmore Lite MK2, though I could put that in my bedroom setup and get a new amp just for the Aryas.

I feel the Arya is a significant step.
My second "real" headphones were the he400i, I loved those things back then. When I had gotten the Sundara I A/B tested them and that proved to me that there was no reason for me to keep using the 400i, it was just a noticeable improvement. I feel the same for the Arya, the bass is night and day as well as the soundstage. Detail seems to be easier to notice and I don't find them as bright sounding overall as the Sundara.

I got the Arya roughly 2 weeks after the LCD-4 and the Arya still only impressed me.
I would dig around a bit, I managed to get the Arya very lightly used for $1400 CAD.
At that price I see the Arya as the best bang for the buck, even compared with Sundara before who I gave the nod of best bang of the buck towards.

Now I know everyone will have varying tastes, but I believe that if you do enjoy the Sundara and the music you are listening to, as well as traits you are looking for, that it would be quite surprising if you didn't appreciate the difference and not have regret "besides your bank account that is!"

I imagine they would be an easy sell if you did feel the money was too much for not a big enough jump, as yes it is a lot of money for headphones at the end of the day.

Mar 21, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #1,596 of 11,873
I went from Sundara to Ananda to Arya and it was worth each step up along the way for me.

Mar 21, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #1,597 of 11,873
I've been with my Arya since Monday. So a week, they've been on continuously for burn in.

The stage and imaging is fantastic.

Clarity blows me away and so does the detail.
It's made me want to take the step up in dac from my modi multibit to a d90 and really open these things up to better incoming information and a far better chip.

Mar 22, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #1,598 of 11,873
Hello,

Recently I am searching for a new pair of headphones. Is someone able to compare Hifiman Arya to Focal Clear, MrSpeakers Ether or AUdeze LCD2C? I am looking for warm sounding headphones with smooth vocals in the first plan, laid back high tones and slightly highlighted lower bass. Something like Audeze LCD-2 Classic in terms of vocals and treble. Can be a bit brighter sounding, as LCD2C are very veiled. And waaaaay to bassy. I would say Focal Clear is max that I can accept in terms of bass quantity and treble brightness. I loved vocals in Ethers but they were too bright in treble area and very thin in bass. So, perfect match for me would be mid range from Ethers, vailed high tones from Audeze and something between Focal Clear and Ether in terms of bass. Do you think Arya would be a good try? I am not able to audition them yet, but local audio store should have them soon.

Edit: one more question. Do Aryas have easily replaceable ear pads? I use headphones a lot and my pads will likely wear out after a year ot two. It would be cool to be able just order new pads and replace them at home.

Sounds like you're describing the Ether 2. Also the pads are really easy to swap on the Ether 2. The new ones have reusable adhesive backing. You just peel them off and push new ones on.

Mar 22, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #1,599 of 11,873
Supposedly it does with a different tuning. Let us know what you think of them.
WhatsApp Image 2020-03-22 at 4.41.18 PM.jpeg

Does anyone have experience from driving them from the Hugo 2's? Is it sufficient to drive the Aryas?
I think they're a really smooth and sweet sounding headphone but I am not sure if I am driving them properly out of the Hugo2's.Using them with a tube amp now

Mar 22, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #1,600 of 11,873
WhatsApp Image 2020-03-22 at 4.41.18 PM.jpeg

Does anyone have experience from driving them from the Hugo 2's? Is it sufficient to drive the Aryas?
I think they're a really smooth and sweet sounding headphone but I am not sure if I am driving them properly out of the Hugo2's.Using them with a tube amp now
The Arya is simple, the more power they get the better they sound. Fairly common amongst planar in general
However more so for the Arya and lcd4

Mar 22, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #1,601 of 11,873

You should try out a desktop solid-state amp, and see if it makes a difference. I used to have the HEKV1 (supposedly similar driver with differences in acoustics) and it did make a difference when I went from Mojo to BHA-1. From what I heard, the output power of Hugo 2 and Mojo are about the same. I generally found solid-state amps to be ideal for planars. I actually heard differences between solid-states with HEKV1. Some solid-state amps can make the sound too thin. It maybe due to insufficient current output of the amp section.

You should have driven the Stellia out of that tube amp (pictured) if it's transformer coupled (which it doesn't look like there are transformers on it, OTL?). Edit: you won't get good results driving it out of OTL that has significant output impedance.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #1,602 of 11,873
You should try out a desktop solid-state amp, and see if it makes a difference. I used to have the HEKV1 (supposedly similar driver with differences in acoustics) and it did make a difference when I went from Mojo to BHA-1. From what I heard, the output power of Hugo 2 and Mojo are about the same. I generally found solid-state amps to be ideal for planars. I actually heard differences between solid-states with HEKV1. Some solid-state amps can make the sound too thin. It maybe due to insufficient current output of the amp section.

You should have driven the Stellia out of that tube amp (pictured) if it's transformer coupled (which it doesn't look like there are transformers on it, OTL?). Edit: you won't get good results driving it out of OTL that has significant output impedance.
I have the BHA-1 also and the Arya sounds great with it.

Mar 22, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #1,603 of 11,873
The Arya is simple, the more power they get the better they sound. Fairly one common amongst planar in general
However more so for the Arya and lcd4

I have the BHA-1 also and the Arya sounds great with it.

Yes the amplifier is an OTL amplifier.
I have a McIntosh MHA100 headphone amplifier but that is in the listening room and its to big for me to relocate to my desk outside here.
I will definitely try the Arya out with the MHA100 and also with the Schiit Asgard 3 (which I plan to put in my room at the office)

What cables are ya'll using with your Arya's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back