HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Mar 1, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #1,576 of 11,873
Where did you end up with this? When I first got mine (at a retail brick & mortar store) I noticed some weird connection issues with the stock cable for like a minute. I was at first heartbroken that this was happening to my new, expensive headphone. After a minute later it all went away. I use an aftermarket balanced XLR cable now and haven't had issues 10 months later.

So, it stopped doing it completely.

Regardless, I talked to customer support, they validated my receipt, issued an RMA. I then told them if all is good should I wait & see or just replace. They said up to me. So I cancelled RMA and figured I have a year and 3 months. If an issue they said just respond back to the emails already that went back & forth and they'll re-issue an RMA.

Mar 3, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #1,577 of 11,873
Stock cable started tearing down, seems like its not durable under the 3.5mm plug connectors so beware.

Attachments

• IMG_20200303_165508.jpg
    IMG_20200303_165508.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 0
Mar 5, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #1,579 of 11,873
Just got the Arya these past few days, coming from Sundara and HE400i of the Hifiman line.
I also got a LCD-4 this past month, yet I am still impressed with the Arya.
Soundstage is perfect, treble is detailed but not fatiguing like the DT-1990, mids sound full and detailed, but I was most impressed with the bass presence and quality especially since I've been mostly using the LCD-4 lately.
Build and materials could be better, but if that was so important the HE1000 series is available.
Hey there/goes for anyone with insights into the following-

I am in the process of considering LCD i4 vs Arya. I am leaning towards Arya since I already have a TOTL "IEM" in the Legend X and it's easier to justify buying an over ears :). Nonetheless, I am looking for ideally an open-back over ear to compliment my LX. From what I understand, the Arya is known for its treble, soundstage and detail? Does it also have transient speed like what I assume the LCD i4 would have? I don't care too much for a heavy bass can since the LX easily satisfies that guilty pleasure. I am looking for more sparkly highs than the LX though.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #1,580 of 11,873
Ordered my Arya today to compliment my LCD-2C. Much excitement.

Mar 19, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #1,582 of 11,873
Has anyone tried driving Arya with Hugo 2 alone and can you please share your experience if Hugo 2 can drive them with authority to their full potentials.
Thanks.
It doesn't even come close.
Even my schiit jotunheim 5 Watts over, balanced xlr doesn't

The well audio milo is 10watt per. That's the kind of power you need to drive to full.

Mar 19, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #1,585 of 11,873
Oh this is a not so good news I can't invest in both Arya and powerful amp. I guess a better option to go for second hand Empyrean.

Simple $100 Magni Heresey can power these to deafening levels with authority. I don't know what the other guy was talking about. I didn't find my Audio-GD FUN had enough punch. Not as much oomph but the Schitt has enough power.

Mar 20, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #1,586 of 11,873
Oh this is a not so good news I can't invest in both Arya and powerful amp. I guess a better option to go for second hand Empyrean.

The Schiit Asgard 3 has a pretty beefy power supply. Checking out the Asgard 3 thread might tell you, whether it's a good match with the Arya.

Mar 20, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #1,588 of 11,873
The Wells Milo "Wurschtsalat" Amp being a minimum requirement is ridiculous.
Do not skip the Arya because of hyperbole.

Asgard 3 being warmish could benefit the Arya. Worth a try.

Mar 20, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #1,589 of 11,873
The Wells Milo "Wurschtsalat" Amp being a minimum requirement is ridiculous.
Do not skip the Arya because of hyperbole.

Asgard 3 being warmish could benefit the Arya. Worth a try.
Agree, there’s no way 10 watts are required for these phones.

Mar 20, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #1,590 of 11,873
Just got the Arya these past few days, coming from Sundara and HE400i of the Hifiman line.
I also got a LCD-4 this past month, yet I am still impressed with the Arya.
Soundstage is perfect, treble is detailed but not fatiguing like the DT-1990, mids sound full and detailed, but I was most impressed with the bass presence and quality especially since I've been mostly using the LCD-4 lately.
Build and materials could be better, but if that was so important the HE1000 series is available.

Would you (or anyone else) consider the Arya a huge step up over the Sundara? (I also have that and the 400i).

I'm thinking, yea, duh, but just wondering if it's really worth taking that plunge. (My most expensive headphone to date is the T1 which I paid $900 for iirc back shortly after it came out. Great phone, but I love the planar sound of HiFiman).

I'm primarily worried about the Arya being a more "atmospheric" headphone due to its unique sound staging capabilities over more narrow staged cans like the Sundara and thus losing some focus or excitement.

I like a forward presentation for much of the music (rock, pop, metal) I listen to...with the huge qualification that I find the Sundara's stage somewhat claustrophobic, congested, and narrow and I also listen to many genres that benefit from a wider/more refined sound stage and presentation (well recorded classical, jazz, folk, world music, atmospheric electronic, etc.).

Also, I like to hear instruments placed properly in the sound stage (like with speakers), love to pick them out (almost like out of the air), and love space between them (instrument separation). Ultimately I'll choose sophistication or refinement over a more engaging or direct presentation, but I worry that a wider sound stage will reduce the energy or excitement over a more narrowly focused can.

TIA and take care of yourselves and each other.

EDIT: I realized that I could simply use my Sundaras or T1 for more aggressive music, so the potential problem of the Aryas not being forward enough for some music becomes mostly a non-issue even if I'd rather have one all rounder. Still reticent to spend this much though!

PS: Anyone think that what's going on with the global economy will cause new headphones to be significantly reduced in price? I'm very reticent to buy used or even open box...but I'd like to pay only about $1200 for the Arya's. I have mostly worked from home for many years, but now my significant other is as well for the foreseeable future (due to the pandemic) so I'm using my speakers less and headphones more and thus more acutely aware of their limitations. So I'm eager to buy, but not if in a month or two significant price drops may be coming.

(And yes I'm aware of the Anandas, but they seem to be basically a halfway mark between the Sundara's and Arya's and I'd rather just get end game cans instead of yet another "compromise" headphone that I will want to upgrade sooner or later...like my Sundara's which I really like but am also aware of their limits).

PPS: I'll be driving these with the wonderful Gilmore Lite MK2, though I could put that in my bedroom setup and get a new amp just for the Aryas.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back