HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Jul 6, 2021 at 4:47 AM Post #4,111 of 11,867
Good to know! I’d like to try these headphones but was worried there were inherent brightness issues that couldn’t be adjusted with some EQ. Soundstage seems to be one of those unchangeable characteristics, so hopefully I can get a lot of the soundstage and still adjust the brightness to my preference.

One more quick question: I’m a fan of soft rock, pop, etc. Arya’s good for those? I like planar bass, and have a set of HD650’s for more “slam”.
Arya is often as good as the recording. Good recordings are great, can sometimes be vice versa too. It's still a good all-arounder though, IMO.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 6:28 AM Post #4,113 of 11,867
In regards to ZMF Auteur, it is too gooey for me but I'd say there is more traditional representation of decay due to the dynamic nature of the drivers. I still like the immediacy of planar drivers more. ZMF Verite would be a much better alternative to the Arya than the Auteur. Crinacle rightly places the Arya much higher than the Auteur both in terms of tonality (A+ vs A) and especially technical performance (S- vs B+).

I wouldn't put much thought into Crin's reviews. He describes Auteur as bright neutral, and the Auteur is anything but bright. It is more tilted towards warm.

Jul 6, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #4,114 of 11,867
Do you guys think if it is good idea to run Arya on the portables?
I am looking to buy Arya but I only use portable sources (FiiO M11 Pro + Xduoo XD-05 Plus).
Ananda is more suitable for portable use. Arya needs a considerable amount of amplification. Ananda is very close to Arya and sometimes even better for some users due to its better tuning. Therefore, choose Ananda for portable use. Arya is not suitable for that. And you'll save half the price.
I wouldn't put much thought into Crin's reviews. He describes Auteur as bright neutral, and the Auteur is anything but bright. It is more tilted towards warm.
Agree.

Jul 6, 2021 at 7:05 AM Post #4,115 of 11,867
Ananda is more suitable for portable use. Arya needs a considerable amount of amplification. Ananda is very close to Arya and sometimes even better for some users due to its better tuning. Therefore, choose Ananda for portable use. Arya is not suitable for that. And you'll save half the price.
I owned Ananda for almost a year, sold it recently. I liked it a lot but at times it sounds so compressed I couldn't bear it and the drivers vibrate a lot with bass heavy tracks which I hate.

I love the soundstage on headphones and that's the only reason why I am looking to buy Arya. Please don't suggest me an HD800s, I had it and hate it.

Jul 6, 2021 at 7:25 AM Post #4,116 of 11,867
I owned Ananda for almost a year, sold it recently. I liked it a lot but at times it sounds so compressed I couldn't bear it and the drivers vibrate a lot with bass heavy tracks which I hate.

I love the soundstage on headphones and that's the only reason why I am looking to buy Arya. Please don't suggest me an HD800s, I had it and hate it.
In this case you will probably hate Arya even more 'cause the amount of amplification it needs is much higher than the Ananda, considering the fact that your amplification wasn't even enough to drive the Ananda. That's why it sounded compressed and vibrating (distorted I guess?) at the low frequencies. Or you might have had a faulty item. Although, it's true that the Ananda is not punchy. The Arya would give you a little more impact in the low frequencies but on the other hand it presents the sound as more distant. It's just the low frequencies that are more articulate in the Arya. They are very close to each other in terms of sound, but you would need much more power to drive the Arya than the Ananda. No portable use for sure.

Jul 6, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #4,117 of 11,867
In this case you will probably hate Arya even more 'cause the amount of amplification it needs is much higher than the Ananda, considering the fact that your amplification wasn't even enough to drive the Ananda. That's why it sounded compressed and vibrating (distorted I guess?) at the low frequencies. Or you might have had a faulty item. Although, it's true that the Ananda is not punchy. The Arya would give you a little more impact in the low frequencies but on the other hand it presents the sound as more distant. It's just the low frequencies that are more articulate in the Arya. They are very close to each other in terms of sound, but you would need much more power to drive the Arya than the Ananda. No portable use for sure.
My source powers HD6XX fine (not to it's best but enough IMO), I thought Ananda did not need much power. I always used it on mid gain.
Anyway, thanks for the inputs.

Jul 6, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #4,118 of 11,867
My source powers HD6XX fine (not to it's best but enough IMO), I thought Ananda did not need much power. I always used it on mid gain.
Anyway, thanks for the inputs.
Well, usually planar magnetic drivers not only need more watts per ohm than dynamic drivers, they also require higher current for power rather than voltage. Therefore, the HD6XX with its 300 ohms will take advantage of the amp's damping factor and its voltage capacity. If your amp doesn't produce enough current, it might not be efficient enough even for a 25 ohms planar headphone, although will drive the 300 ohms dynamic headphone. A good desktop amp would probably show the difference. I'd suggest you try Audeze LCD-X 2021. It's a different beast, but if you need a planar magnetic headphone with good punch and high efficiency for portable use, then why not trying. It has slightly narrower soundstage than the Ananda (wide enough though) and a different 'house tuning' compared to HFM. But otherwise there aren't many choices left you know...

Jul 6, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #4,119 of 11,867
Do you guys think if it is good idea to run Arya on the portables?
I am looking to buy Arya but I only use portable sources (FiiO M11 Pro + Xduoo XD-05 Plus).
I’d agree with earlier comments that the Arya is not the most portable of HPs. I use DCA Aeons more with portable sources. All that said, I have run Aryas off an iFi micro iDSD Signature. That portable has a lot of power. The Aryas sound pretty good. I don’t normally EQ but the XBass+ function of the Signature does add a bit to the Arya’s low end without messing up the detail.

Jul 6, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #4,120 of 11,867
Does your LCD-2 complement the Arya? I currently have a 2021 LCD-2F and I love it. I consider it to have a very intimate warm sound signature. I‘m about to pull the trigger on the Arya but not to replace my LCD-2 but to complement it. Thanks in advance!
My LCD-2F is from 2016/2017 with the new pads. It is still my favorite headphone (with Reveal+ plugin) and yes it complements Arya quite well. Low frequencies and Midrange as far as instrument tonality and body goes to LCD-2 while High Frequencies and soundstage/ imaging are Arya's strong points. One could say Arya is more for analytical listening while LCD-2 for relaxed, tonally accurate presentation. On a side note, I don't find Arya bright at all, but quite detailed and neutral (flat frequency response). However, be careful when using EQ. Most of the recommended Arya EQs found on the Net collapse the sound stage and disturb the headphone balance.

Jul 6, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #4,121 of 11,867

On your equipment, investing in Arya is a waste of money. You would have a much better musical experience if you invested the funds you planned to invest in Arya in IEM.
When I listen to Arya via iBasso DX 228 EX ,they are far inferior to Fearless s8f as well as Solaris SE
I know you want a superior experience, go to IEM
Solaris has a similar overall sound as Arya

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #4,122 of 11,867
On your equipment, investing in Arya is a waste of money. You would have a much better musical experience if you invested the funds you planned to invest in Arya in IEM.
When I listen to Arya via iBasso DX 228 EX ,they are far inferior to Fearless s8f as well as Solaris SE
I know you want a superior experience, go to IEM
Solaris has a similar overall sound as Arya
I don't use IEMs much as I don't get proper fit. That's why I trying to find the best headphone that suits my taste.

How about something like Cayin C9? Anyone tried Arya with it?

Jul 7, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #4,124 of 11,867

Agree.
"Ananda is very close to Arya.... ". In the most basic ways, like they both have deep bass and a large presentation. However on closer listening Arya distances itself from Ananda in many ways. Deeper, more articulate and textured bass with good dynamics when called for. Stays composed at higher volumes where Ananda somewhat loses composure. Wider and much more layered presentation compared to Ananda's more skeletal reproduction. Harmonics on top of harmonics. More organic sounding vs a stiffer Ananda presentation. More transparent in that Ananda sounds like a headphone where Arya has notes that come from out of nowhere with seemingly limitless boundaries and better imaging and resolution. My 2 cents and IMO.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2021 at 4:39 AM Post #4,125 of 11,867
My LCD-2F is from 2016/2017 with the new pads. It is still my favorite headphone (with Reveal+ plugin) and yes it complements Arya quite well. Low frequencies and Midrange as far as instrument tonality and body goes to LCD-2 while High Frequencies and soundstage/ imaging are Arya's strong points. One could say Arya is more for analytical listening while LCD-2 for relaxed, tonally accurate presentation. On a side note, I don't find Arya bright at all, but quite detailed and neutral (flat frequency response). However, be careful when using EQ. Most of the recommended Arya EQs found on the Net collapse the sound stage and disturb the headphone balance.
Thanks for taking your time to answer my questions. I use the EQ of my ADI-2 DAC FS since my set up is away from my computer (that’s how I like it). I’m limited to 5 bands with the ADI 2. i found an ADI forum that gave me a starting point to EQ the LCD-2 and I’m very happy with it. Do you EQ your Aryas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back