Hifiman 400 vs Beyer DT880 question
Feb 10, 2013 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Kodhifi

500+ Head-Fier
I think I have my target locked for the next headphone purchase. I'm looking at the Hifiman 400 planars and I was wondering how they stack up to the DT880.

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #2 of 16
Comparisons have showed the HE-400 is better.

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #3 of 16
Imo the DT880 is a bright, detailed headphone.  The HE-400 are a warm, more fun headphone (not to say it isn't detailed).  The mids are better on the 400, while on the DT880 it seemed to me like the mids were a bit distant.

Feb 11, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

You probably need to expand on that statement a little.

(But you knew we weren't going to let you get away with that, didn't you?
wink.gif
)

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #5 of 16
I paid $350 for my 880's. The 400's are only $50 more. What I'm looking for is a step up in audio quality, moving from mid fi closer to hi fi.

I listen to a LOT of different styles of music so if I drop a lot on a headphone the one thing I ask is that it be a jack of all trades. If it gives great jazz, but rock sounds like a trashcan being destroyed with a jackhammer it won't work for me.

I can see the frequency responses but in actual listening how do they compare? Would I be better off buying a DT990 for instance or the HE400's?

I one day want to own some electrostatic speakers, until that day it looks like planars are the closest I can afford right now.

Feb 11, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #6 of 16
I'd like to hear some opinions on this, too. Sometimes it seems like the difference between hifi and midfi has more to do with price than anything. There's a significant percentage of people who say that they prefer the HE-400 to the HE-500, and then there are a lot of people who say that the HE-500 is as good as the HE-6. So then it would seem that the HE-400 is on a level playing field with hifi headphones. But I don't think very many people would say that that's the case. It would be interesting to hear what specific advantages and disadvantages people have heard in the HE-400 vs. the DT880's.

Feb 11, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:
I'd like to hear some opinions on this, too. Sometimes it seems like the difference between hifi and midfi has more to do with price than anything. There's a significant percentage of people who say that they prefer the HE-400 to the HE-500, and then there are a lot of people who say that the HE-500 is as good as the HE-6. So then it would seem that the HE-400 is on a level playing field with hifi headphones. But I don't think very many people would say that that's the case. It would be interesting to hear what specific advantages and disadvantages people have heard in the HE-400 vs. the DT880's.

The simple answer to your conundrum is that, preference does NOT equate to objective differences in performance.

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:
Quote:

You probably need to expand on that statement a little.

(But you knew we weren't going to let you get away with that, didn't you?
wink.gif
)

I didn't think I was. I don't really feel like digging up the link of a comparison I saw..

Feb 11, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:
I think I have my target locked for the next headphone purchase. I'm looking at the Hifiman 400 planars and I was wondering how they stack up to the DT880.

Heya,

The HE400 might be technically better in some areas. But ultimately it's all about preference. I consider them equals. The HE400 is for someone who wants the Hifiman house signature sound, and planar mids, in the mid-fi budget range. The DT880 is for someone that wants the Beyer house signature sound, and a different comfort/built factor. The Beyer is more comfortable to me. The HE400 is a little more fun to me because it responds differently to amplification, and I like how orthos control mids/bass with plenty of current supplied from a good amplifier. So I prefer the sound of the HE400. But I prefer the build quality and comfort of the DT880.

Side grade, different flavor.

Very best,

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:
Quote:
I didn't think I was. I don't really feel like digging up the link of a comparison I saw..

So you're simply referring to a subjective comparison you read somewhere? Your post seemed to imply a proven fact. 

Haha, I guess so
tongue.gif
 I have heard the DT880. I own it; no HE-400 though..
frown.gif

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #13 of 16
I own both and use the he400, the 880 was my go to can before my he 400 kicked them out. Some advantages of the he 400 are speed and bass, and less fatiguing, disadvantage is comfort. Both are great. Have fun with whatever purchase you make.

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:
Quote:
Haha, I guess so
tongue.gif
 I have heard the DT880. I own it; no HE-400 though..
frown.gif

Okay, you can make amends for that dreadful faux pas by giving us a brief but undoubtedly fascinating mini review of the 880.
tongue.gif

I'll give you one later. There at MCA right now..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back