HiFiMan 400 or Grado 325
Mar 4, 2013 at 7:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Denys

100+ Head-Fier
Good morning everyone, We've got stolen in our house and I need to replace a pair of headphone. Originally I owned the Grado 325. The insurance company is allowing me and amount and I am allowed to purchase any pair of headphone up to that amount. If it exceeds, I pay the difference.... Anyway, if I go the easy way, I just pickup another pair of 325 with the extension cord, or I purchase the HiFiMan 400 alone. The amount is similar. It would be match with an Antique Sound Lab MKIII modified (by Divertech) and an Audio-GD Ref5 dac. It could also be used with a Schiit Asgard.... What would be your call ? (I own a few other pair of headphones if this info could be relevant). Thanks for your time Denys

Mar 4, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #2 of 11
Looking at your list of headphones I would say go for the Hifiman. 

Unless you absolutely need the thrashiest hardcore sound of the SR325i for fast rock and metal. If you don't listen to these genres, you don't really need it, looking at your other headphones.
But I think once you've tried a planar magnetic headphone, it's difficult to go back.

Plus if you don't like it, I'm sure you can get a refund in the first week and then buy the Grado later.

Mar 4, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #6 of 11
The HifiMAN model that can give you the Grado SR-325i detail, paired with the HifiMAN orthodynamic bass is the HE-4.  It needs a bit more power -- 2 watts is recommended; however, the HE-4 is further up the HifiMAN audiophile chain and tends to be much better with female vocals than the HE-400 ... or at least when it comes to sibilants.

If one doesn't listen to a lot of female vocals, then the HE-400 is a good performer.

Mar 4, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #7 of 11
I hope you enjoy the HE-400!  I ordered a pair of them recently and should get them in on Wed (hopefully sooner).  Sorry about the circumstances of needing to get some new headphones, but hopefully this'll turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

Mar 4, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
The HifiMAN model that can give you the Grado SR-325i detail, paired with the HifiMAN orthodynamic bass is the HE-4.  It needs a bit more power -- 2 watts is recommended; however, the HE-4 is further up the HifiMAN audiophile chain and tends to be much better with female vocals than the HE-400 ... or at least when it comes to sibilants.

If one doesn't listen to a lot of female vocals, then the HE-400 is a good performer.

Interesting that you say the HE-400 has as much detail as the SR325i (only because I havn't compared the two directly).

As far as I understand, the HE-4 (unlike the HE400) needs quite a powerful amp to run properly though. Or is that incorrect?

Mar 4, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
Interesting that you say the HE-400 has as much detail as the SR325i (only because I havn't compared the two directly).

As far as I understand, the HE-4 (unlike the HE400) needs quite a powerful amp to run properly though. Or is that incorrect?

The HE-4 has details like the Grado house signature.  The HE-400 - sort of, but not as much.  The HE-4 does require about a 2 watt amp to get them moving.   However, they are more in the line of audiophile, or would be an upgrade if someone were not able to go from the HE-400 to the HE-6.  The HE-4 would be a good middle-ground.

I use my HE-4 headphones with a speaker amp.  There are threads on the forum here where they are using an Emotiva amp which runs $229.00 -- and does the job nicely.  So, while the HE-4 might be a bit demanding on power, there are amp solutions out there that cost less than quite a few dedicated headphone amps.

Mar 5, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

The HE-4 has details like the Grado house signature.  The HE-400 - sort of, but not as much.  The HE-4 does require about a 2 watt amp to get them moving.   However, they are more in the line of audiophile, or would be an upgrade if someone were not able to go from the HE-400 to the HE-6.  The HE-4 would be a good middle-ground.

I use my HE-4 headphones with a speaker amp.  There are threads on the forum here where they are using an Emotiva amp which runs $229.00 -- and does the job nicely.  So, while the HE-4 might be a bit demanding on power, there are amp solutions out there that cost less than quite a few dedicated headphone amps.

Sorry for going way Off Topic - but what's your opinion on the HE-500 compared to the rest of the bunch. I really liked it when I briefly auditioned it through my ipod/PA2V2 (doesn't sound very reassuring, but it blew my socks off!), and am strongly considering it as an upgrade from my RS2i. (looking for similar 'energy' but better sub bass extension).

Nov 14, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #11 of 11
Just a quick bump as I'm in a similar situation. I broke my 325i's and am trying to decide if I wanna replace them or go w/ the HE-400's.

My A900X and Q701's simply do not compare for music listening to the 325i's. I REALLY liked that up front, in your face mid range for vocals.

I listen to mostly stuff like popular pop/rock. Occasionally, I'll listen to some trance/techno or classical.

I'm leaning towards the Grados.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back