HIFIdiy's mini USB DAC MK2--Also a headphone amp!
Jan 7, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #211 of 377
I learn something new every time here! Hopefully coolfungadget can chime in about the dedicated power source. This is the first time I've seen it.

Jan 8, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #212 of 377
Anyone know if these will power 600 ohm dt990's???

Jan 8, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #213 of 377
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMIJohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know if these will power 600 ohm dt990's???

I've never tried 600 ohm headphones, the Aune will probably drive them but I do not believe it will be to their full potential, not sure if there is anything available at this price point that will.

I heard that the Audio GD amps and a DIY AMB amps may be your cheapest option but they are both at least 2x the price of the Aune.

Jan 9, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #214 of 377
Has anybody compared this to the Maverick? The Maverick is $40 more but has a few more connections and personally I like the black. Both seem to be upgradable with different tubes or opamps.

I like how the Maverick has the line in, Tube Pre-amp out, and also the volume control bypass. Is it worth getting the Maverick over the Aune or is the Aune a better DAC/AMP?

Jan 11, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #215 of 377
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazerboy2000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anybody compared this to the Maverick? The Maverick is $40 more but has a few more connections and personally I like the black. Both seem to be upgradable with different tubes or opamps.

I like how the Maverick has the line in, Tube Pre-amp out, and also the volume control bypass. Is it worth getting the Maverick over the Aune or is the Aune a better DAC/AMP?

same question - which should i get - aune or maverick? i'll be using it probably with LD mk1+, so my question is which one has better DAC section?

Jan 11, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #216 of 377
Quote:

Originally Posted by hesus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
same question - which should i get - aune or maverick? i'll be using it probably with LD mk1+, so my question is which one has better DAC section?

Ask bearmann, he has or had both. Personally, i don't like the maverick. If you don't mind having only usb input, the nuforce udac is hard to beat at $100.

Jan 13, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #218 of 377
Jan 13, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #219 of 377
Yes of course you can, the A/D switch is just the source switch, the Analog inputs or the Digital coaxial/USB at the back of the unit.

There is RCA out at the back to hook the DAC up to a separate speaker amplifier.

Jan 13, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #220 of 377
Quote:

Originally Posted by fragaholic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey quick (albeit dumb) question about the aune. You CAN use the amp and dac functions of the aune at the same time, right?? on this ebay page, it says the d switch is for the dac and the a switch is for the amp.

AUNE Mini USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier MK2 - eBay (item 260435237330 end time Jan-20-10 17:26:26 PST)

does this mean that you can only use one at a time? I know this sounds a little bit ridiculous, but i REALLY don't want to make a purchase and regret it.

Actually, you can use them separately. For example: you plug in usb/spdif, and connect the back rca out to your home stereo, and play music with your pc. While your A/D switch is in A position, and you plug your ipod/whatever to the rca in at the back, you'll be hearing that at the headphone output.

Jan 14, 2010 at 7:29 AM Post #221 of 377
ok thanks for the replies. Analog inputs vs digital coaxial/USB does make a lot more sense. its just weird that the ad describes it in amp vs dac mode. i might actually have to dive in and buy one of these now
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #222 of 377
Why oh why has Aune only coaxial input? I know I can buy a toslink->spdif convertor, but that's another box which its own power supply. Adding toslink circuitry would probably add only about 5$ to the price ... Is there some other solution than buying a separate converter?
BTW my player TEAC WAP-2200 has only has only toslink as digital output. No usb, no coaxial. And it somehow seems that many dacs (e.g. nuforce udac) have only usb input - I do not get it. Is everybody using their computers as music players?

Jan 23, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #223 of 377
I have a question about the digital coaxial... I bought a cable for my computer, which has s/pdif out.
NCIX.com - Buy Electrohome 1M Digital Coaxial Audio Cable - EP241 In Canada.

However, when I plug it into my computer and this dac, flip the switch to Spdif (and D), I don't get any sound. Do I have to install any drivers, change any settings on my computer? Or did I buy the wrong cable? Thanks for any help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back