HIFIdiy's mini USB DAC MK2--Also a headphone amp!
Dec 7, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #181 of 377
Quote:

Originally Posted by francisdemarte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question for Coolfungadget, devast or any other DIY experts. How hard would it be to add or replace the coaxial connector in the Aune with a Toslink?

It is possible, since i'vee seen pics of that here. But i wouldn't attempt trying, unless i knew what i'm doing. You can get toslink=>coax adapters on ebay, or any shop in your area.

Dec 7, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #182 of 377
Quote:

Originally Posted by devast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is possible, since i'vee seen pics of that here. But i wouldn't attempt trying, unless i knew what i'm doing. You can get toslink=>coax adapters on ebay, or any shop in your area.

Agree.

Dec 7, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #183 of 377
Indeed that looks very complicated. Does it really have to be? Looks like they added extra controllers to automatically switch between the coax and optical connectors. Nice but is it really necessary?

I'm looking at Twisted Pear's TOSLINK optical module and it looks very simple.

torx_schematic.jpg

torx_layout.jpg

Aren't the outputs of coax and optical spdif connectors basically the same, the difference being that the optical receiver needs 3-5vdc of power to operate?

Thanks guys for you help and advice!

Dec 8, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #185 of 377
As this DAC/amp started as a DIY kit, is it possible to buy the Mk2 SE as a kit, with drilled panels included?

I'm not too bad with the soldering side but not up to the casework.

Cheers.

Dec 16, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #186 of 377
Let's keep the thread alive
atsmile.gif
I messed a bit with the lowpass filter of mine, changed caps with different values, replaced the vcom pin cap with 4,7uf film. Also, replaced the ceramic caps near the headamp. Pics (bad quality, i was tired
tongue.gif
). Cleaning the solder out of the holes was a true pita... With this, i think i'm finished with the dac part. Only thing left is the psu. My transformer is on its way, it's the last thing missing. I hope i can finish it next week.
Too many mods were done simultaneously, so i can't evaluate each mod. Overall i feel the soundstage improved the most(with my current opamp setup, that was the only aspect i was not happy with), and maybe the bass improved, not sure about that.
I think the stock setup with 2134 and 2604 aint bad at all, it's a good sweet spot. I've heard much worse opamp combinations in there
beyersmile.png

Dec 16, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #187 of 377
Great job! Is the 2,7uF film cap under all at black tape?

I think the Aune is vastly under-rated here on head-fi. Agreed, let's keep this mod thread going. I dug out my old Sony D-EJ01 portable cd player, plugged the line out into this amp spent all weekend re-discovering my old CD's.

Replacing the OPA2604 opamp with a pair of AD744 really has increased the detail and bass. The 22v power supply is probably helping too. I think i'm going to try the much talked about OPA627 or OPA827 (if I can find a pair) next!

Dec 23, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #190 of 377
devast:

Looks good! What case are you using? I have to agree, cutting square holes especially is a pain! It took days for me to clean out off all the tiny plastic shards everywhere.

Dec 29, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #193 of 377
I've swapped the OPA2604 for an OPA2134, OPA627 and dual AD744 (with output bypass mod) through mine so far. The OPA2134 sounded muddy with loss of detail and collapsed soundstage. The OPA627 sounded warm, detailed and musical with great soundstage. The modded AD744 had the detail, musicality and soundstage of the OPA627 without the warmth.

I'm currently running the AD744 and will leave it in there. To my ears, it's the best I've heard so far with my HD650. If you want warmth, the OPA627 sounds almost as good (possibly just as good with a brighter set of 'phones). To my ears, the warmth of the OPA627 sounds more natural with acoustic instruments but the AD744 sounds better with vocals in particular and in general with everything else.

I've also tried different supply voltages from 17V to 20V (with a 24V DC wall wart and a Tread adjustable regulator) and think the 17V sounds best with the AD744. As you increase voltage, the sound gets punchier but loses some of the lovely airiness it has at lower voltages. Note that the stock Aune US power supply outputs 17V even though it says 12V on the case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Curios little dac there! Probably nicest looking cheap dac I've seen thus far.

Slight offtopic question in regards to opamps - which one is considered the most smooth warmish sounding?

Dec 30, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #194 of 377
The OPA2604 IMHO is pretty good, but I am also looking for something to warm up my somewhat brightish ATH-W1000's.

I am also running dual AD744 unmodded with a 20v THREAD based power supply with ATH-W1000's. They sound great with this combination the bass is very punchy at 20v DC. I agree with proximo that the AD744 is very detailed but not warm. I've heard great things about the OPA627 but it's a pricey opamp.

Maybe I'll try lowering the voltage a bit and modding the AD744.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back