HIFIdiy's mini USB DAC MK2--Also a headphone amp!
Nov 29, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #166 of 377
Devast

Can we have a little more detail on what mods were made. I see some caps soldered on the underside of the board. Where and why did you put those in? Sorry I'm an electronics newbie.

Nov 30, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #167 of 377
IMHO you should simply swap out the OPA2604 OPAMP in the headphone section first, test how the different OPAMP sounds to you for a while before changing anything else.

The AD744 in OBCA mode apparently turns this DAC/amp unit into something even more incredible.

Nov 30, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #168 of 377
Quote:

Originally Posted by francisdemarte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Devast

Can we have a little more detail on what mods were made. I see some caps soldered on the underside of the board. Where and why did you put those in? Sorry I'm an electronics newbie.

Those are bypass capacitors between +v gnd and gnd -v , on each of the opamps. Since i don't have an oscilloscope, i can't really test if the opamps are oscillating in this circuit, so i just went and did what i can. There's a 0,1uf cap on the 7808 voltage regulators output too, it's datasheet says it improves stability
smile_phones.gif

About the opa827 and ada4627... i can't really feel anything and that's good. They sound dead neutral, i quite like them. They just get everything right. I still have opa1632, but i doubt i can fit them into a dip8 socket, they have different pin layout (they are dual differential opamps after all). I might try to manually wire them sometimes, but first i have to mentally prepare for that
tongue_smile.gif

I've been thinking about changing some capacitors in the lowpass filter too. The cutoff frequency is too low, I want dead flat freq response between 20hz and 20khz. Not expensive stuff, but i have my hands full with school nowdays
confused_face.gif

Dec 1, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #170 of 377
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are these okay to use with speakers? Some self powered speakers.

Yes just plug them into the Line-Out on the back. Also the volume knob on the Aune DOES work even in line-out mode. I think the switch in the front needs to be switched to D "Dac" mode.

Dec 1, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #171 of 377
The line-out only works for digital input though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazerboy2000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes just plug them into the Line-Out on the back. Also the volume knob on the Aune DOES work even in line-out mode. I think the switch in the front needs to be switched to D "Dac" mode.

Dec 6, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #175 of 377
It has the switch in the front panel.

The digital signal will be output to both headphone out and line out.
The analog signal will be output to headphone out only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adsmithy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would the DAC compare to a E-mu 1212m?

Is there a way of switching sources between analogue and digital in, or would I have to physically disconnect cables?

Cheers

Dec 6, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #176 of 377
Having been inspired by the Aune thread in the Rock Grotto forum, I took it upon myself to working on a dedicated power supply for my Aune.

Considering the fact that I've never lifted a soldering iron before, I'm pretty proud of my results. Being that it was my first exposure to DIY electronics it took me 3x as long and cost 3x as much as I anticipated.

My PSU is basically a Tangent THREAD with a toroidal in a Radio Shack plastic project enclosure. It outputs 22VDC to the Aune.

4164388268_f84598613c_o.jpg

Transformer and Tangent THREAD regulator in a cheapie Radio Shack plastic enclosure. Excuse my messy wiring job.

4164388008_b4b82c3a95_o.jpg

Completed and powered up!
beyersmile.png

4163627929_7a2d3d72c1_o.jpg

ATH-W1000 from a fellow head-fi'er

Dec 6, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #177 of 377
Quote:

Originally Posted by francisdemarte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having been inspired by the Aune thread in the Rock Grotto forum, I took it upon myself to working on a dedicated power supply for my Aune.

Considering the fact that I've never lifted a soldering iron before, I'm pretty proud of my results. Being that it was my first exposure to DIY electronics it took me 3x as long and cost 3x as much as I anticipated.

My PSU is basically a Tangent THREAD with a toroidal in a Radio Shack plastic project enclosure. It outputs 22VDC to the Aune.

Looks neet
smily_headphones1.gif
And how do you like it ?

Dec 6, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #178 of 377
So far it's pretty good! There is just more of everything. The bass seems quicker and punchier and everything just sound a tad livelier. It probably needs more burn in time.

This may also be due to the fact that a week earlier I swapped out the OPA2604 opamp and swapped in a pair of AD744 on a brown dog adapter.

Dec 6, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #179 of 377
Now that is something. I really want to pick one up to play around with now.

Dec 7, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #180 of 377
Question for Coolfungadget, devast or any other DIY experts. How hard would it be to add or replace the coaxial connector in the Aune with a Toslink?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back