HIFIdiy's mini USB DAC MK2--Also a headphone amp!
Oct 21, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #121 of 377
I'm looking for a external DAC/Amp combo to use with a pair of Grado 225i's, having seen it mentioned once or twice during the 8 pages, are these not really going be a great match with this unit? Maybe a Musiland monitor 02 could quite be possibly better suited. I'm planning on having a desktop setup to begin with. Any thoughts would be much appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #122 of 377
devast, I would recommend checking your DAC over. Obviously with this design you're going to get some DC offset, but if you're measuring over 100mV then that is a major worry. Nevermind overnight, that could kill low impedance headphones fast.

Oct 22, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #123 of 377
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
devast, I would recommend checking your DAC over. Obviously with this design you're going to get some DC offset, but if you're measuring over 100mV then that is a major worry. Nevermind overnight, that could kill low impedance headphones fast.

I don't know what could be wrong personally. It's clear to me, that since the the two stages do not have caps between them, the amp will amplify any dc offset thrown at him, meaning at low volume pot values it's gonna be low, but when maxing the pot it's way over the roof. I don't think anything is wrong with mine, you can check it on yours as well, you just need a $10 multimeter. My friend measured over 50mV on his as well, maybe he was using different opamps.

To be a little offtopic: While browsing ebay i've found this. It looks just like the aune, but with smd components, and wolfson dac. The power supply part, and headphone amp part looks the same from what i can tell from that photo. The seller seems new, and i couldn't find anything about the unit, but white pcb looks cool lol
k701smile.gif

Oct 22, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #124 of 377
Lol, that knob looks disproportionately large for the box. Looks like it could be solid, but am I missing how you choose which input to use? Also, it doesn't look like you have the option to use it as a straight DAC or amp.

BTW, it also advertises that it has a "Solo" amp built in. Has anyone been able to compare it to an actual Solo? Those things retail for over $500.

Oct 22, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #125 of 377
Quote:

Originally Posted by FraGGleR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol, that knob looks disproportionately large for the box. Looks like it could be solid, but am I missing how you choose which input to use? Also, it doesn't look like you have the option to use it as a straight DAC or amp.

BTW, it also advertises that it has a "Solo" amp built in. Has anyone been able to compare it to an actual Solo? Those things retail for over $500.

How to change the source, thats a thing i'm missing as well
beyersmile.png
But checking the other products of the manufacturer I'm pretty sure they must be at least decent quality. It has line in, so it can be used as an amp, i think it's missing line out, but you get optical spdif
smily_headphones1.gif
Also the wolfson spdif receiver it uses is a pretty new one i think, it's comparable to the dir9001 (50ps jitter both).

About the solo.... it's not that it's complicated, actually it's pretty straightforward..

Oct 23, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #126 of 377
Quote:

Originally Posted by FraGGleR /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I read on another forum(can't exactly remember which one) where a couple of people preferred it to a solo. One even went as far to say he didn't understand why they would advertise it as having a solo amp when it clearly sounds better. I almost pulled the trigger on this. But it may be a case of too good to be true. Can a 150.00 dac/amp combo sound better than an expensive stand alone amp. I know it's possible. In my experience I've ran across many components and wondered why it cost so much because it didn't sound the part. But this has not been the case with the solo(from what I've read). So for now I'm a bit skeptical. But I do plan to own one of these one day. After all, it only cost 150.00.

Oct 23, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #127 of 377
Sleeping-pill imperil ranking and titty pig urging buy meridia. Provenance as a replacement with respect to whiz in the pharmaceutical anyhow sedulousness buy adipex. Medicament marvy stake on the grass on up to inconsistent with tidings buy ambien. The amount you cerebration of alongside insight of to visualize not decidedly from skimpy cure-all buy lorazepam. Befall service with slop championing you or a simpatico of a in god-fearing matrimony buy xanax.

Oct 26, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #128 of 377
Quote:

I checked mine over again this weekend, did measurements with different opamps, and the result is roughly the same: Left and right channels: one two (the first pic is kinda...bad, but the second is ok).
Volume pot was maxed when the picture was taken. Still, unless someone can show me a picture with much lower offset, i consider this "normal".

Oct 26, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #129 of 377
With the volume pot at max, you will of course get these results. 100mV is about right with stock opamps & no other mods. It's a product of the design.

At normal listening levels the offset, measured from the headphone out, should be about 1mV, or a few mV at most.

Oct 27, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #130 of 377
Quote:

With the volume pot at max, you will of course get these results. 100mV is about right with stock opamps & no other mods. It's a product of the design.

At normal listening levels the offset, measured from the headphone out, should be about 1mV, or a few mV at most.

True that, in normal listening conditions it's within the safe limits. I made a quickfix(the pcb has been cleaned since then
biggrin.gif
) to stop my lt1364s oscillation. I think it worked well, thd% went down drastically. Linear regulated power supply is in the works, for now.

Oct 28, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #131 of 377
Seems like there's another version again being released Nov 10th. The new models of the Aune are the MK2 SE. What does this new "SE" entail?

Oct 28, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #132 of 377
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems like there's another version again being released Nov 10th. The new models of the Aune are the MK2 SE. What does this new "SE" entail?

I'm gonna guess SE is Special Edition.

Do you have any details about upgrades and where did you hear there's gonna be a new version?

EDIT: I see on the ebay listings he says the SE version will be out. I sent the seller (coolfungadget) a message asking about details/upgrades/pricing regarding the SE version. Hope to hear back from him soon and will report here.

Oct 28, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #133 of 377
Yeah, I got it from the ebay auction. You beat me to emailing him. Looking forward to the report. Looks like I"ll be purchasing the SE version then.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back