HiFi Rose RS250 Network Streamer
Apr 16, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #91 of 104
So I understand you are using Roon on Linux? I've been out of the loop for a while but I didn't have a program I liked for tagging etc on Linux. That's why I always had multi boot for a few OS - es. With foobar on windows it was a breeze once I coded my lines. Like with a 3 CD piece I just renumbered the whole thing in one folder. CD sized folders is legacy.

You don't go to the opera and hear the announcer say: "now we're going to take a short break, and after that we'll be back for CD 3." :)

I ran into an argument on the Rose site started by some nagging Karen complaining about playlists and ripping. People that entitled will never be satisfied.

Also, just last Friday I went to a great B&M Hifi store nearby to buy new speakers. If people over here have several headphones why can't I have a dozen sets of speakers? Yeah well, it was a lifelong wish to own flat panel speakers but my tube amplifiers didn't allow me off track. So I needed to listen with a choice of amps. High power amps >200W. I brought my own too and it turned out to sound perfect with the Magnepan 0.7. My little translinear current amp of just 40 Watts. And again I was right against all odds. OK, it did get a little bit strained on the LRS+ when very loud (low bass just vanished). But the 0.7 was really a big step up. So that's what I bought. It's so incredibly clear and 3 dimensional.

So, back to the Rose. They have a lot of gear and experience. Second hand and new. But they all use the Rose streamer! And are very satisfied with it. It really is unparalleled IMHO.

I had to use the equalizer at first because I didn't have the positioning right with a big bump in the upper bass. That was really helpful. I used to be of the opinion that you don't need equalising with good speakers. And that's true for boxes. But here it really helped. Define the frequency at 150Hz, pull down and define the Q for the size of the bump. You can just do that with the Rose. And not use a computer.

Apr 16, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #92 of 104
So I understand you are using Roon on Linux? I've been out of the loop for a while but I didn't have a program I liked for tagging etc on Linux. ...
I have the Roon core running on Linux and the Roon app on MacOS.

Roon isn't really meant to edit tags. In fact, its tag editor is really quite atrocious. It uses the MusicBrainz catalog to find all the metadata about your CD. When it matches correctly, it's great. When it doesn't match then, using Roon, there are some search tools to try and find the right match in the MusicBrainz catalog.

Occasionally, it needs some help with grouping tracks correctly and other odds and ends. You can also do "light" tag editing to change album covers and some other things.

I switched to Roon from tag editing because, for classical, it was just too much work.

Apr 18, 2023 at 12:10 AM Post #93 of 104
Thanks for sharing. Tagging seems trivial and is vastly underrated. But it's vital for a good experience.

I also like Linux very much. I'm very sympathetic to it but it lacks a lot I'm familiar with on windows. But windows has completely gone over to the dark side in recent years. Like Apple. They give it a, good veneer but we are the product for them. It's, like 'Ex machina' or 'The island'. Yeay, you won a contest.

I like the versatility and all the possibilities of digital, and the ease of use, but I like the privacy, the security of actual owning the software on vinyl. Plus the sound quality.

Who said we can't have both?

May 4, 2023 at 10:14 PM Post #94 of 104
This thing is a lot of fun!

Only thing it's missing is HT Bypass in digital....

Oct 27, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #95 of 104
rs130 also has apple music and YouTube. can these two be controlled with iPhone? so to use a search engine, I am asking to search for music due to text input, etc. I understand correctly that it has a noise filter ethernet input that can be connected directly to the internet router with a basic utp cable? is the usb with noise filter only for the input? so there is no noise filtering on the usb audio output? Don't know Tidal connect? is there a difference between the digital outputs in terms of sound quality? I would use the l2s output with a musician audio aquarius dac.

Nov 21, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #96 of 104
Any owners can confirm whether the RS250 has volume balance control for left/right adjustment? Also, can the RS250 upsample 44.1khz wav files, if so, what is the maximum rate it can upsample to? Thanks.

Nov 21, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #97 of 104
Any owners can confirm whether the RS250 has volume balance control for left/right adjustment? Also, can the RS250 upsample 44.1khz wav files, if so, what is the maximum rate it can upsample to? Thanks.
Remind me to check for you. Mine is at a different location than I am...

I don't remember any balance controls. I use roon with it so I'd upsample using that, I think.

Nov 21, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #98 of 104
I had to look into it. Took me a while. I couldn't find my unbalanced HP cable. Look into menus I never touch... Anyways:

Sorry to say the Rose 250 can't help you with your hearing imbalance. There's a graphic and parametric equaliser but no balance.

It can upsample to 32-384. Of course only the kHz get upsampled. Bits are just padded with zeroes.

Nov 22, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #99 of 104
Thanks guys. I wish more audio media players/ digital transports have the volume balance control available. I'm sure there are many others who would benefit from it due to slight hearing loss on one ear which shifts the center image to be off a little.

Good to know that the RS250 can upsample music files up to 384 khz.

Nov 22, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #100 of 104
Thanks guys. I wish more audio media players/ digital transports have the volume balance control available. I'm sure there are many others who would benefit from it due to slight hearing loss on one ear which shifts the center image to be off a little.

Good to know that the RS250 can upsample music files up to 384 khz.
I'm not an audicien (hearing doctor) but I know my ears aren't fully equal either. Just like hardly anyone has same eyes, same goes for ears. My left ear is better than my right. I've had a problem with centering for a long time. I've always had that feeling voices weren't coming from the middle. However...

I think it is not due to a difference in volume level. More likely timing differences. Your brain is marvelous in calculating a 3D image of your surroundings. It learns to take in account to differences in timing and frequency response related to the shape of your ear.

I used to move a little in front of my speakers. That helped but didn't help from a psychological standpoint. However, since I have my speakers on wheels now, with tape on the floor to mark the position, I noticed that moving the speaker forward or backwards fixes the problem very quickly. Just an inch back moves the centre away from that side a foot. Practice makes perfect. First I used a measuring tape, put the scotch tape on the floor. Now everytime I shift it by accident I listen to a centre voice and get it positioned in a few seconds. Of course this doesn't help if you use headphones.

Nov 24, 2023 at 9:25 PM Post #101 of 104
If you have any interest in roon whatsover, it has balance controls in its MUSE dsp suite.

Nov 24, 2023 at 10:11 PM Post #102 of 104
If you have any interest in roon whatsover, it has balance controls in its MUSE dsp suite.
Thanks, I was hoping the RS250 would have the volume balance control natively on the unit or the Hifi Rose app.

Dec 6, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #103 of 104
Hello I'm looking for a streamer but I also have an Oppo 205 (higher-end 9038Pro DAC, asynch USB input etc) which performs about 90% of streamer tasks...so I want to be careful not to duplicate features. But it won't play Qobuz in the highest resolution. With something like this...I think I can dump both my YouTube premium and my Roon subscription (the way ahead of its time Oppo is actually a Roon endpoint)and save 30 bucks a month?

I have a pretty high-end components rigwith an Audio Research multi-channel preamp and is soon to be Cary Cinema 5 amplifier...so I'd like to get something to connect direct to the preamp and try to connect to my Oppo through the USB or HDMI to vompare SQ... and this should be able to do both. And with the higher-end components, the analog output of a WIIM or even a low-end Cambridge isn't going to cut it

Since this HFR can conceivably play videos (intriguing extra)... can it play more than just an SACD ISO file? I'm guessing it can play those off local storage...but can it play them through the network & catalog them (like J River)? And someone mentioned it can play DST files but those are multi-channel.. so can it send a multi-channel native DSD64 format through one of its outputs? HDMI?

Finally, doubt you can run Blu-ray BDMV folders off this but I wonder if it can play DVD-audio ISO files which I also have as many of those as I have SACD. It's extremely difficult to find something to play them. As many of you probably know unless you extract the files themselves, it's either play the actual disc or play the ISO file--there's no in between. I had to modify my Oppo 205 to be able to do it, but I'd love to find a streamer that can since the Oppo is not going to last forever.

Please anybody who's familiar with the ISO-capable playback of the RS250/A chime in...thanks! :)

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #104 of 104
Hello I'm looking for a streamer but I also have an Oppo 205 (higher-end 9038Pro DAC, asynch USB input etc) which performs about 90% of streamer tasks...so I want to be careful not to duplicate features. But it won't play Qobuz in the highest resolution. With something like this...I think I can dump both my YouTube premium and my Roon subscription (the way ahead of its time Oppo is actually a Roon endpoint)and save 30 bucks a month?

I have a pretty high-end components rigwith an Audio Research multi-channel preamp and is soon to be Cary Cinema 5 amplifier...so I'd like to get something to connect direct to the preamp and try to connect to my Oppo through the USB or HDMI to vompare SQ... and this should be able to do both. And with the higher-end components, the analog output of a WIIM or even a low-end Cambridge isn't going to cut it

Since this HFR can conceivably play videos (intriguing extra)... can it play more than just an SACD ISO file? I'm guessing it can play those off local storage...but can it play them through the network & catalog them (like J River)? And someone mentioned it can play DST files but those are multi-channel.. so can it send a multi-channel native DSD64 format through one of its outputs? HDMI?

Finally, doubt you can run Blu-ray BDMV folders off this but I wonder if it can play DVD-audio ISO files which I also have as many of those as I have SACD. It's extremely difficult to find something to play them. As many of you probably know unless you extract the files themselves, it's either play the actual disc or play the ISO file--there's no in between. I had to modify my Oppo 205 to be able to do it, but I'd love to find a streamer that can since the Oppo is not going to last forever.

Please anybody who's familiar with the ISO-capable playback of the RS250/A chime in...thanks! :)
Man, you ask some hard questions. Maybe I'll just tell you what I know.

The Rose 250a has a really capable Dac. My 250 (no A) already sounds good, but the 250A has the upgraded 9028pro and the clocks. So my guess is it will better your older Oppo. The chip is roughly the same but the surroundings have gotten better too.

I don't run a server or computer. I saved all my files on an external HD that I can run from the Rose now. I can access them from my phone if I want. The new files go directly from my phone to the internal 2tb SSD via wifi (smb2 so far). What I have read is cataloging them over the network is very problematic (but the complainers never elaborate on what kind of network they have). The Rose IS my server, always accessible, totally quiet.

The Rose streamer can play any video but I noticed some 4k videos have problems with green blocks, stripes etc. Decoding problems. I think it's either the 5.1 audio or not enough bandwidth. The videos I play come from the internet where they are usually made to fit a certain size, that means 2160 usually comes with surround sound and 1080 with regular stereo. It works great for 1080. The other bigger files I usually play directly to dlna on my tv from my phone.

I have to say; Rosetube is what totally makes the Rose great. I bought it for music but I use it mostly for Rosetube. Add free YouTube play. Some live streaming vids are lower bandwidth (technical limitation due to server rerouting?) but I use Rumble for those or simply YouTube since livestream are (still) uninterrupted.

The Rose is made for Hifi stereo. That means it does not play 5.1. Unless your app prunes off the rest.

Ax you know, an iso is just a container. The Rose can access iso files without any problems, the thing is: what is in the container? Music or video doesn't matter, but only as long as the sound is stereo.

SACD-iso come in different flavours, depending on what's in it. Most SACD are stereo, or dual layer with surround. I never save the huge 2+5.1 iso:s because it is simply a waste of space. But it should be possible to play the 2.0 DSF files. Or compressed DST. There are tools to look inside the iso and extract the 2.0 files or recode the surround to stereo. But that takes time and effort.

I hope this answers some of your questions. Otherwise you might look into the main brand of Eversolo (Xidoo?) That have video capabilities too. But they are double the price of the RS250a.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back