HiFi Rose RS250 Network Streamer
Mar 20, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #76 of 104
And it looks awesome in black!

Mar 21, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #77 of 104
There is an updated version of Rose OS 4.5
I asked for a file manager, and what do you know! Now you can transfer files (only copy for now but that's all you really need) from your external USB to the internal SSD. Awesome!

Also some synchronisation option added between your streaming service (Tidal and Qobuz) Playlist and favorites to the Rose system.

Now the file transfer protocol SMB1 is now updated to SMB2 (it was quite old and unsafe).
Take note: if you use SMB2 you will get a different IP on your network so you need to scan for it (I just found out after the old 192.168.1.5 stopped working, it is now higher class 192.168.43.1)
Edit: scratch that. The change in IP was because I was on the Rose tether (I guess, I'm not a network guru) and it was annoyingly slow. Like 150kB/s slow. That's 10x as slow as it was (just bearable 1.7MB/s).

Ok, now to the good news: file transfer over Wi-Fi is now a LOT faster. I'm getting up to 14MB/s over Wi-Fi now, almost 10x as fast. Now we're talking!

Wow. I love the way Rose keeps improving.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #78 of 104
Question for you Rose owners, if you don't mind. Haven't gotten a feel for my use case.

I like the Rose as a player. What I'd like to do is rip CDs to it and then use it as roon storage and endpoint.

I know it's roon ready so the playback part is covered. What I can't tell is how to connect it to my Roon Core so that I can use Roon for playback.

Diagram may help: Roon Core <- Rose SSD
-> Rose playback -> USB/Coax/BNC -> Schiit Gungnir

P.S. This seems to answer my question. https://community.roseaudio.kr/t/rose-doesnt-appear-on-the-network/2021/5
Anyone tried it?

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #79 of 104
I will not try Roon. For me it's a payed solution where there is no problem. It seems good at creating problems. My adagium is K.I.S.S. Keep it simple... eh someone? (I had a teacher once who objected to my use of this acronym).

If you update the OS to 4.5 it is much faster to access you Rose rs and use it as a sort of Nas. You can then return it to the Rose via Roon. A roundabout way I would avoid.

Since this question is more about Roon not finding a SMB2 server it's more suited to a Roon related forum thread I think. Or: how to use Roon as a Rose streamer remote. Because that is the real question as I translate it. I am completely satisfied with my free Rose remote software compared to payed proprietary solutions (that don't exist).

I'm sorry I don't 'get' Roon. I always used Foobar that did the trick for me.

Mar 22, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #80 of 104
As a recent RS250A owner, and a Roon user. I frankly love ROON and works flawless with the HiFi Rose, it consolidates all your music and streaming services and gives you a lot more insight into the artist, music, and composers etc..
anyways, it’s pretty simple to add Roon, simple be on the same network and make sure the core adds the Rose unit period.

Apr 2, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #81 of 104
I just updated to the latest version. Interesting that when the Rose updates the firmware, it also updates the Xmos chip. Not sure what these updates fix add etc. I’ll have a listen and see.

Apr 2, 2023 at 9:42 PM Post #82 of 104
My RS250A is on its way, pending some trade-in valuations.
Plan is to (eventually) put an SSD in it and use it to backup my Roon library. Leaving the Roon storage way it is seems like the best bet.

Can't wait! Am looking forward to y'all telling me all the best tips & tricks.

Apr 3, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #83 of 104
My RS250A is on its way, pending some trade-in valuations.
Plan is to (eventually) put an SSD in it and use it to backup my Roon library. Leaving the Roon storage way it is seems like the best bet.

Can't wait! Am looking forward to y'all telling me all the best tips & tricks.
How large is your library?

If I look at my own collection, (when still had my computer) I kept an external disk plus a shadow usb 3.5" 2TB that I now have on the Rose ext usb. I noticed it has accumulated quite a few errors. Plus that my tagging algorithm (from foobar) doesn't work. (on the PC I could use more genres seperated by a ' ; ' but android app return this as genre;genre;genre or genre~genre~genre which does not help at all). Especially the 'genre' tab and the 'album artist' are important for overview of a large collection and should keep the number small. If you look at discogs there are only a few genres like rock pop, electronic, jazz and classical. But there are also subgenres.

So now I'm slowly going through my 1.6TB library, cheching the tags, tag covers internally ànd externally (only name them "cover.jpg") and use 1500x1500 covers if I can. And place all new fresh files on the internal SSD. This really improves access to my library. Covers on the external USB often don't show up. And it's nice to improve on old files with high res versions or from 24-88 to dsd or iso with newer finds.

The best way to keep your precious files alive is to keep them moving.
That's the conclusion of this video. This advice is a bit over the top (if you're a bit savvy you can always find something on the internet) but anyway worth watching.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #84 of 104
How large is your library?
My ripping travails (documented elsewhere) have kept me from growing my library. IIRC, I have something between 4 and 6 thousand tracks.
I am currently ripping Living Stereo 60 CD collection so that will add a bit.

Fits comfortably on a 500GB drive.

... my tagging algorithm (from foobar) doesn't work. ...
So now I'm slowly going through my 1.6TB library, cheching the tags, ...

Yeah, I did that for a number of years, constantly constantly having to update tags. Now, I'm just letting Roon do it, hence the request for insight on how Roon and the RS250 interact.

Apr 3, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #85 of 104
My ripping travails (documented elsewhere) have kept me from growing my library. IIRC, I have something between 4 and 6 thousand tracks.
I am currently ripping Living Stereo 60 CD collection so that will add a bit.

Fits comfortably on a 500GB drive.

Yeah, I did that for a number of years, constantly constantly having to update tags. Now, I'm just letting Roon do it, hence the request for insight on how Roon and the RS250 interact.
All 60 cd's... You have incurred my envie.

I don't bother with ripping much. A real chore. However, I did get a usb DVD optical drive that works like a charm with the Rose. Just €20 or thereabouts. I don't need to bother with tags either, everything is automatic. Only move the new folder up the tree according to artist.

My sincere advice is to consider a bigger drive, and one with a good reputation for data integrity and speed. Eventually you are going to run out of space with only 500GB and then you wish you payed a little more. I found that 2TB had the best value per €. Iirc I bought a fast and reliable Crucial MX500 2TB on Amazon for €150. Prices fluctuate.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #86 of 104
I had previously ripped the Living Stereo 60 CD Collection Vol. 2, several years ago. That experience drove me to look for a better automatic tagger.
Wonder why? :-D

Apr 3, 2023 at 11:53 PM Post #87 of 104
I only have a few originals on lp. And a score in flac in different quality (the dsd files really take it up a notch or two). I'm not going to rip any lp's though. Insurpassable sound quality. I like both ends of the spectrum but lp is my true love.

Apr 4, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #88 of 104
I only have a few originals on lp. And a score in flac in different quality (the dsd files really take it up a notch or two). I'm not going to rip any lp's though. Insurpassable sound quality. I like both ends of the spectrum but lp is my true love.
I ripped 2-3 LPs. Then I found that my cartridge was miswired (causing fun(!) phase effects) and that the Internet says my digitizing phono stage has a terrible RIAA curve. I have been puzzling over how to the correct it ever since but first I need to see how bad it is and I haven't any clue how to do that.

Apr 4, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #89 of 104
If you need help with anything vinyl come over to the seperate thread here : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/vinyl-corner-music-gear-experiences.959540/page-170

Getting the wires jumbled is usually the wrong clips on the back of the cartridge. Not difficult to fix.

I never bothered with digitizing lp's. Vinyl is a different level altogether. You should just play the lp's on a proper system. Digitizing always degrades the music. And not to mention the time it takes to copy 1:1 for 10.000 lp's... There are a lot of nice rips online and you can get most music in digital form.

I try to keep it to flac /dsd on my SSD, Qobuz for just browsing new things and quick reference. And my vinyl setup for ultimate enjoyment.

I enjoy the Rose for ease of use with a lot of the versatility of pc without the noise. And watching Rosetube. It's such a great allround product with great support.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #90 of 104
I finished ripping those CDs last night. Took about 2w?

abcde uses MusicBrainz and the tagging was very good, mostly. Every 2-3 CDs, abcde would try to make a filename longer than my Debian install supported - usually because it was duplicating bits of the title or artist list. Easy to fix.

No big issues with letting Roon handle the tagging other than I didn't want all the CDs to show as the album "Living Stereo 60 CD Collection", which Roon sometimes preferred. My biggest issue was a rip I did last year of Lucia di Lammermoor, which came on 3 CDs and roon didn't show the correct album for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back