Hidizs MS5 - Impressions thread and review invitation
May 27, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #226 of 250
You should try using some little cotton in the treble nozzle.
Personally, it works much better than bass nozzle since you are treble sensitive.
Feels less congested than the bass nozzle.

I actually find it enjoyable to "re-tune" it to my ideal preference.
maybe i'll try putting some cotton from q-tip to the treble nozzle soon

Jun 4, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #229 of 250
$400?:scream: Is it really worth it?:thinking: but looks really cool
I don't think we need to force them to race for the bottom. They sound different from the usual mid-fi IEM, have technical chops to match or exceeds competitors, and teardown has confirmed quality components and construction.

To flip the question around, no ear toys without bluetooth is worth a dime when you can get sound out of $5 buds from the supermarket.

Jun 11, 2023 at 7:25 AM Post #231 of 250
happy sunday everyone ! IMG_20230611_182701.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 2:05 AM Post #233 of 250
They are very promising, remind me of the FiiO FH7S.
Very open sounding, full bodied bass, quite balanced.
Very early to say something more.
The manufacturer suggested more than 100 hours for the dynamic driver to settle down.
Accessories are good, the cable is of very high quality, huge but it lacks modular plug.
Time will tell.
Hi. I'm undecided between FH7S and MS5. There is a big price difference. I like dynamic and fun playing headphones instead of reference headphones. I listen to electronic dance music (EDM), pop, jazz and rock. I have a very wide scale. Which one should I choose?

Before I forget. There's something about this headset that scares me. It has very low impedance. I am using LG V35 as the source and the output impedance is 0.8 ohms. For 5.3 ohm headphones, the maximum impedance of the source must be 0.6 ohms. The fact that it is above the limit makes me think that FH7S and V35 will be more compatible.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 2:50 AM Post #234 of 250
Hi. I'm undecided between FH7S and MS5. There is a big price difference. I like dynamic and fun playing headphones instead of reference headphones. I listen to electronic dance music (EDM), pop, jazz and rock. I have a very wide scale. Which one should I choose?

Before I forget. There's something about this headset that scares me. It has very low impedance. I am using LG V35 as the source and the output impedance is 0.8 ohms. For 5.3 ohm headphones, the maximum impedance of the source must be 0.6 ohms. The fact that it is above the limit makes me think that FH7S and V35 will be more compatible.
Well, I don't know. The FH7S is more V shaped, the MS5 is slightly more mid-bass focused with less treble energy. The FH7S has also a more inclusive accessories pack.
The MS5 might pick noise from your mobile which may also run out of current.

Dec 21, 2023 at 3:07 AM Post #235 of 250

I picked up a g7 thinq as a daily driver after I did my review and it does the job. Slight bit of noise, but it's totally passable. I've heard $100+ dongle dacs that passively create more noise than this. Also, I talked with someone that was driving it with a probably weaker lg v20, so I don't think drivability would be a big problem.

I'd lean towards a smoother sounding dac though. Vocals and bass are decent, but the treble can sound a bit harsh.

Dec 21, 2023 at 4:45 AM Post #236 of 250
I picked up a g7 thinq as a daily driver after I did my review and it does the job. Slight bit of noise, but it's totally passable. I've heard $100+ dongle dacs that passively create more noise than this. Also, I talked with someone that was driving it with a probably weaker lg v20, so I don't think drivability would be a big problem.

I'd lean towards a smoother sounding dac though. Vocals and bass are decent, but the treble can sound a bit harsh.
The G7's output impedance in high impedance mode is 0.86 ohms. As it is known, LG phones have three modes: normal, AUX and high impedance. Is there a difference in output impedance in high impedance and normal mode? For 5.3 ohm headphones, the maximum value should be 0.66 ohms. Approximately 30% above maximum. Although the difference seems small, it is not a small difference when we look at it as a percentage. This may be the reason for the slight noise. There are also suggestions that the MS5 may be prone to a bit of sibilance in the treble.

https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/user-report-amp.php?id=1892#gsc.tab=0

Dec 21, 2023 at 5:11 AM Post #237 of 250
Well, I don't know. The FH7S is more V shaped, the MS5 is slightly more mid-bass focused with less treble energy. The FH7S has also a more inclusive accessories pack.
The MS5 might pick noise from your mobile which may also run out of current.
Frankly, the V-shape is a more fun and reference-free structure, so it suits me better. I prefer the mids to stay one step back. Have you experienced any possible sibilance problems with the FH7S? Because I use V35 as the source and it has sparkling highs. I wonder if it will cause sibilance with FH7S. On the other hand, the sparkling highs of the V35 may be more balanced with the less treble energy of the MS5. However, the extremely low impedance of the MS5 and the high output of the V35 make me worried about this headphone. There is an output around 0.8-0.95. It is way above the limit compared to 5.3 ohm headphones.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #238 of 250
Frankly, the V-shape is a more fun and reference-free structure, so it suits me better. I prefer the mids to stay one step back. Have you experienced any possible sibilance problems with the FH7S? Because I use V35 as the source and it has sparkling highs. I wonder if it will cause sibilance with FH7S. On the other hand, the sparkling highs of the V35 may be more balanced with the less treble energy of the MS5. However, the extremely low impedance of the MS5 and the high output of the V35 make me worried about this headphone. There is an output around 0.8-0.95. It is way above the limit compared to 5.3 ohm headphones.
I don't think that they are sibilant or too bright, a little sharp maybe. You can use the sound tubes to fine tune the sound.
The MS5 has bigger bass if you like low-end.

Dec 21, 2023 at 7:09 AM Post #239 of 250
I don't think that they are sibilant or too bright, a little sharp maybe. You can use the sound tubes to fine tune the sound.
The MS5 has bigger bass if you like low-end.
The dynamic driver of the FH7S is 13.6 mm in diameter and frankly I thought it was better than the MS5 with a 10 mm dynamic driver. In fact, I feel closer to MS5 because it is both newer and cheaper. The fact that it has stronger bass also attracts me. However, in addition to a strong bass, a fast and controlled bass is at least as important as this. So which one has more general inclusivity for someone who listens to EDM, pop, jazz, rock or even instrumental music?

I read your article. Does the MS5 have a larger soundstage? This is surprising. Because while FH7S is a semi-open model, MS5 is a closed model. Soundstage is very important to me and a wide stage definitely comes before most things. It becomes a priority choice.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 7:50 AM Post #240 of 250
The dynamic driver of the FH7S is 13.6 mm in diameter and frankly I thought it was better than the MS5 with a 10 mm dynamic driver. In fact, I feel closer to MS5 because it is both newer and cheaper. The fact that it has stronger bass also attracts me. However, in addition to a strong bass, a fast and controlled bass is at least as important as this. So which one has more general inclusivity for someone who listens to EDM, pop, jazz, rock or even instrumental music?

I read your article. Does the MS5 have a larger soundstage? This is surprising. Because while FH7S is a semi-open model, MS5 is a closed model. Soundstage is very important to me and a wide stage definitely comes before most things. It becomes a priority choice.
I have not tried FH7S, but I do own MS5, MS3, and MP145.

From your description, I do think MP145 gonna fit you better in every way.
Especially when your music genre is similar to mine, actually all of them fits my favorite genre.

MS5 is not sibilance, but it is sharp and tends to get peaky at times.
MS3, contrary to it's price, in my opinion is the refined version of the MS5 and how MS5 should be.

But if you only want one of them between FH7S and MS5, can't say anything then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back