Hidizs MS5 - Impressions thread and review invitation
Apr 16, 2023 at 3:47 AM Post #121 of 250
I do worry it might cause hiss if the power is too big.
It is what happened to my Xelento, though better SQ.

Exactly my thought.
Any differences between the balance cable and the stock one?
The stock cable is of much higher quality but haven't compared them sonically.

Apr 16, 2023 at 4:00 AM Post #122 of 250
I do worry it might cause hiss if the power is too big.
It is what happened to my Xelento, though better SQ.

The MS5 is quite hissy with sources with a poor noise floor control.

Ironically, yes if you set the gain too high or on some higher output sources, the hiss will be more obvious.

Apr 16, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #123 of 250
MS5 Resized.jpg

Hidizs MS5 should be released sometime later next week. As I intensify my tests on this MS5, one thing I like to share now, how surprisingly good this seemingly low impedance hybrid which carries just 5.3 Ohm (that's the lowest impedance rating I have ever had in an IEM in my hands) when subjected to power. Fosi Audio KA5 Pro DAC/Amp churns out in excess of 1000 mW at 16 Ohm, meaning that for something as low as 5.3 Ohm, the power is at approx 1400 mW. Instead of getting shouty or distortion, the MS5 exhibited amazing synergy with the added power, what was narrow-ish headstage now felt so very open and wide, technicalities practically doubled up here and there. And absolutely free from any hint of floor noises, another big surprise, perhaps because Fosi Audio K5 is a clean solid state DAC, but will try after this with Class A hybrid tubes of xDuoo MT-602, at around 1300 mW

Don't get me wrong, MS5 was already great sounding attached to my 60 mW-ish Sony Xperia 1 iV, but the scaling ability of this MS5 is something totally unexpected, considering this is a 4BA+1DD hybrid, which could have responded badly to sheer power

Apr 16, 2023 at 9:25 PM Post #124 of 250
MS5 is not as bad as Andromeda 2020 in terms of driving, IMHO. It does respond to sources, though. When I A/B using my M6U and AP80 Pro X (single ended), I immediately noticed a narrower and shallower soundstage from the micro DAP. Balanced output helps the AP80 Pro X a bit, but I didn’t hear much change with larger DAPs. I find MS5 to work very well with the Hiby RS6 (R2R). Of course no sane listener is buying $1300 DAP to play with a $3xx IEM.

Apr 16, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #125 of 250
MS5 is not as bad as Andromeda 2020 in terms of driving, IMHO. It does respond to sources, though. When I A/B using my M6U and AP80 Pro X (single ended), I immediately noticed a narrower and shallower soundstage from the micro DAP. Balanced output helps the AP80 Pro X a bit, but I didn’t hear much change with larger DAPs. I find MS5 to work very well with the Hiby RS6 (R2R). Of course no sane listener is buying $1300 DAP to play with a $3xx IEM.
Yeah, basically the pickle I'm in. I want to test it on the e10k because it's reasonable, but soundstage is almost underwhelming compared to my topping stack.

Apr 16, 2023 at 9:48 PM Post #126 of 250
Yeah, basically the pickle I'm in. I want to test it on the e10k because it's reasonable, but soundstage is almost underwhelming compared to my topping stack.
Since you like Topping, how about picking up Topping G5? That device is like having a desktop stack in my pocket, and bluetooth is responsive enough for casual gaming. The best part is you don't have to care about singled ended or balanced, because the 4.4mm output is "fake" (G5 is single-ended only). It sounds flat but not wimpy, if it makes sense to you.

I personally don't like the idea of pushing the impedance to 5.8ohm. Keep the impedance around 32ohm and sensitivity around 108dB/mW@1kHz, and even Apple dongles can drive an IEM to nearly its best, IMHO.

Apr 16, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #127 of 250
Since you like Topping, how about picking up Topping G5? That device is like having a desktop stack in my pocket, and bluetooth is responsive enough for casual gaming. The best part is you don't have to care about singled ended or balanced, because the 4.4mm output is "fake" (G5 is single-ended only). It sounds flat but not wimpy, if it makes sense to you.

I personally don't like the idea of pushing the impedance to 5.8ohm. Keep the impedance around 32ohm and sensitivity around 108dB/mW@1kHz, and even Apple dongles can drive an IEM to nearly its best, IMHO.
I do need a middle source. I was thinking g5 quite a while before because portable nfca was darn appealing. Unfortunately, I'm a weirdo and everything I own now excluding 3 iems are open back and travel usage er2 doesn't scale with better sources imo. I'm kinda hoping for the btr7 getting mainstream notice so it can be dirt cheap used like btr5.

Yeah, it's just easier to test like that. I get lower impedance for flagships but they're bargaining if the user has a decent source for anything under 500. Or they wanted to create tinnitus simulator for people who don't know how miserable that is lol.

Apr 16, 2023 at 10:58 PM Post #128 of 250
Tested the MS5 on my LGs, DAPs (faudio and QP2R)and some dongles. So far I didn't encounter that dreaded noise floor for a very sensitive IEM.

Apr 17, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #129 of 250
My review will be a take on people like me who are super sensitive to 5k and treble.

Hidizs #HidizsMS5 #MS5
For people who are treble sensitive this one is NOT for you. Formal Review on the 21st on my YouTube Channel

DD is wicked but hard to hear over the noise from the massive energy at 5K 6K 7K 8K 9K.

When you are Treble sensitive you get a completely different experience from people who are not and it changes the entire experience for you.

The MS5 is not a neutral IEM more Treble-heads unique very niche tuning IEM.

Attachments

• DARK ANGEL TITLE.jpg
    DARK ANGEL TITLE.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230414_132727.jpg
    20230414_132727.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230414_080419.jpg
    20230414_080419.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230414_171231.jpg
    20230414_171231.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230414_171213.jpg
    20230414_171213.jpg
    945.7 KB · Views: 0
Apr 18, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #131 of 250
Hidizs MS5 video is up.

Not for me this one but if your a Treble-head and like a super niche tuning well maybe.

Not enough compelling atritubutes to make this a winner.

Put that DD with 2 Knowles BA and sell for $120 then we are talking!

Apr 18, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #132 of 250
Hidizs MS5 video is up.

Not for me this one but if your a Treble-head and like a super niche tuning well maybe.

The DD in MS5 is really impressive indeed.

Btw, I think you can safely remove the likes of Kublai Khan from your consideration in the future if the treble of MS5 murders your ears.

Apr 18, 2023 at 11:07 PM Post #134 of 250
MS5 really tickles my treblehead side. Some instruments (strings, brass and wood winds) and vocals (female ones especially dramatic and coloratura sopranos) needs some emphasis on presence part of treble (around 6k-8k) to give me that sense of air and poetic on flutes and sax, and an emotive, energetic and rangey dynamics of soprano vocals. That's the reason I'm not a fan of VDSF tuning of Moondrop.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 3:14 AM Post #135 of 250
Hidizs MS5 video is up.

Hidizs told to burn-in the iem for 200hrs.
If you are treble sensitive probably this could be too much!
Tips rolling are extremely important for these iem. I found that the treble in my case is tamed with deep insertion using Fat Bored tips on S size.
I don't find the treble shouty but for sure the level of it and details are elevated.
Other thing to try are the Knowles dampers...trying to change it you can get different sound. But this void your warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back