Hidizs AP60
Mar 31, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #571 of 773
Digital cables do make a difference however unlikely/unscientific it may sound.
But its advisable to get a better DAC instead of investing in cables and stuff expecting a miracle change.
Ditch the USB altogether. Too much BS to deal with.
Coax/AES/BNC with studio grade Belden ($20/mt) and you should be all set.

Mar 31, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #572 of 773

Have you tested with different usb cables with your mojo/ other DAC and did you compare the sound ?

If you did that and you found no difference in sound quality, then i appreciate your opinion.

Yeah, I've tried several ones (but none costing more than $30) and I've never heard any differences. You're right though, I haven't tried it with the Mojo and AP60 combo (only a number of other dac's and phones) so I probably shouldn't have said anything.

My first comment (and actually the second one as well) was half a joke but knowing how infected these things are I probably shouldn't have bothered. Tbh I took your answer about ignorance as half a joke as well
wink.gif

I won't make anymore comments on this subject.

Chill buddy, you are one of the top reviewers on headfi (in the world also). Please don't take words so seriously, i know you are far mature than me.

You get so many review units and you have listened so many gears. I will suggest to do a small testing on Mojo.

Take 3/4 usb cables and connect to mojo and then compare the sound. I bet you will find the difference. 

It also depends upon the DAC architecture, how the DAC is affected by the noise/impedance mismatch between source and DAC in the USB cable.

In my observation, Mojo sound changes a lot with the change of USB cables.

You can do this small testing, no harm of doing it. Who knows your way of viewing USB cables with change dramatically 
ksc75smile.gif

Mar 31, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #573 of 773
  Chill buddy, you are one of the top reviewers on headfi (in the world also). Please don't take words so seriously, i know you are far mature than me.

You get so many review units and you have listened so many gears. I will suggest to do a small testing on Mojo.

Take 3/4 usb cables and connect to mojo and then compare the sound. I bet you will find the difference. 

It also depends upon the DAC architecture, how the DAC is affected by the noise/impedance mismatch between source and DAC in the USB cable.

In my observation, Mojo sound changes a lot with the change of USB cables.

You can do this small testing, no harm of doing it. Who knows your way of viewing USB cables with change dramatically 
ksc75smile.gif

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I don't have the Mojo available anymore otherwise it would have been an interesting project.

Maybe someone with the right equipment could post some measurements of the Mojo with different OTG cables used but this thread is hardly the place to do it. 

Enjoy the music guys 
beerchug.gif

Mar 31, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #574 of 773
Eh, who asked for yours?

Fortunately I'm used to be able to express my own opinion about things.

I'm certainly not saying that I know better than anyone, I'm stating my opinion exactly in the same way everyone else is doing in here. I don't know if you've noticed since you haven't been around that long but audio is extremely subjective. If you've got a problem with people expressing a different opinion than your own you should probably consider to stay away from the Internet.....

Sorry,
my answer was a little harsh.
(regretted my post a few minutes later)

But, those repetitive "my science knows better than your ears", cables can't have any influence on sound, remarks are a little boring.
I'm quite new to the portable audio game but am interested in hifi in general for a few more years.
And those battles about what should be and what people hear are more than 20 years old !

"Cable sound" was described the first times by Jean Hiraga in l'Audiophile in the late 70s ...
Since then people on the internets tell other people that their ears are wrong.

So, back to the AP60.
I think this little player sounds very good.
And the Mojo combo is great

have a nice day,
c*

Mar 31, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #575 of 773
Received my AP60 yesterday and built a Mojo stack. Works great. Now to mod my OTG cable to a shorter length and I should be set. Still have a hankering for trying a "balanced" DAP though... I mean, I have a balanced version of the VE Zen 2.0 in the mail.

Apr 2, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #576 of 773
In today's picture Sunday post, I quickly preview the Hidizs AP60 and Cayin N3 DAPs: http://www.headfonia.com/picture-sunday-mini-daps-hidizs-cayin/
There's more to come of course. Happy weekend everyone.

Apr 2, 2017 at 6:13 AM Post #577 of 773
Seems a large amount of this player's popularity is using it as a transport to something like the mojo, but I think its worth saying, this is a really nice sounding player in its own right.

For a much less expensive stack, this weekend I've been listening to the AP60 amped through the Walnut via the earphone port. The combo sounds lovely and means I can drive the Zen 2 and HP650 earbuds, through a relatively tiny stack. The only difficulty being with the screen design having to move the elastic band a bit to see what I'm doing sometimes :-D

Apr 2, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #578 of 773
Seems a large amount of this player's popularity is using it as a transport to something like the mojo, but I think its worth saying, this is a really nice sounding player in its own right.

For a much less expensive stack, this weekend I've been listening to the AP60 amped through the Walnut via the earphone port. The combo sounds lovely and means I can drive the Zen 2 and HP650 earbuds, through a relatively tiny stack. The only difficulty being with the screen design having to move the elastic band a bit to see what I'm doing sometimes :-D

Color me interested! What is a Walnut amp and where can I get one?

Apr 2, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #579 of 773
Color me interested! What is a Walnut amp and where can I get one?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/828315/walnut-hi-fi-v2-wav-mp3-player-by-wt-screenless-budget-killer-combo-dap-amp

It's a screenless, awesome sounding wav/mp3 player that doubles as a really quite powerful amp yet costs about £25. Probably about the best budget audio buy I know of :-D

Apr 4, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #581 of 773
how about battery life of your AP60?
It's supposed to be about 10〜12hours.

I never get that.
Using LO output and volume around 35-40, I get somthing between 5 and 7h.

Similar, battery life isn't its strong point!

Edit...that was my perception, but measurements to follow as was a bit inaccurate and doing the AP60 quite a disservice!!

Apr 5, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #582 of 773
Alright. Thanks.

Btw, the AP60 sounds really good!
I bought it as a transport for the Mojo. But am listening daily to it with the Trinity PM4 on the way to work and really like what I'm hearing

Apr 5, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #583 of 773
@cazone I too was impressed with the sound coming out of the AP60 as well (and I too purchased it merely as a Mojo transport). I will be interested in comparing the stack against the Fiio X5iii later today.

Apr 5, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #584 of 773
Similar, battery life isn't its strong point!

Interesting. i'm busy doing a battery life test on my review unit. Currently been playing a 192/24 album continuously for almost 6.5hrs using my Pinnacle P1 (50 ohm) on volume 75 low gain...still showing 2 bars. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back