HiBy RS6 Android DAP - Snapdragon 660, 4+64GB, 5” full HD, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 16x, copper chassis
Oct 18, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #826 of 3,181
I thought for a minute you were pulling my leg :D Didn't even know the Focal makes Utopia car speakers. So, you are driving car speakers directly from 3.5mm output of RS6, or is there a crossover and some amplifier, etc? I thought you need to have a separate crossover for car speakers, especially to separate sub-woofers. And I would imagine you have some amplifier for your car speakers? Have you tried driving it with LO output from RS6?
RS6 LO to Brax DSP to Sinfoni Amps Class A and A/B to Focal Utopia. Impression made as compared with previous DAP Fiio M15.

https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/brax/processors/dsp

http://www.quartorigo.com/JustForFriends/

https://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/car-audio-kits-solutions/elite/utopia-m

Oct 18, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #827 of 3,181
I thought for a minute you were pulling my leg :D Didn't even know the Focal makes Utopia car speakers. So, you are driving car speakers directly from 3.5mm output of RS6, or is there a crossover and some amplifier, etc? I thought you need to have a separate crossover for car speakers, especially to separate sub-woofers. And I would imagine you have some amplifier for your car speakers? Have you tried driving it with LO output from RS6?

the first time I had heard of focal utopia was for door speakers lol

Oct 18, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #828 of 3,181
Why not, when my setup is around USD 35K up. 🤣
Hey, to each his own. 😉 But let's just say that's the most unusual test setup for a DAP I've ever heard of. And I suspect it will have zero bearing on how the RS6 performs with its intended transducers (IEMs).

Oct 18, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #829 of 3,181
Hey, to each his own. 😉 But let's just say that's the most unusual test setup for a DAP I've ever heard of. And I suspect it will have zero bearing on how the RS6 performs with its intended transducers (IEMs).
Yup of course it work differently with IEMs. But just sharing impression as quite alot of people are using DAP for source in cars.

Oct 18, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #831 of 3,181
My 2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R has Harmon-Kardon 576-Watt GreenEdge amplifier with 12 matched speakers front, back and door, including tweeters and woofers. It’s the best speaker system I own and has fantastic sound (ok the road noise bleeds thru) but right now I can only use it to stream Tidal via a USB input from my iPhone. There is a 3.5 mm Aux input so I too am interested in that use case, though wonder if R8 might be a better source. For further thoughts on this topic see https://audiophilereview.com/audiophile-news/are-audiophiles-excited-by-car-audio/

Oct 18, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #833 of 3,181
Our other players allowed line out volume control in that the hardware volume controller resided in the path of the line out as well as the headphone outs. This isn't the case with the RS6, thus this is a hardware limitation rather than us changing our minds on allowing line out volume control.

Are you having clipping issues with one of your amps?
I've moved away from amps a while ago, but I have amp which does not have a volume knob.

Oct 20, 2021 at 5:19 AM Post #837 of 3,181
I've loving how RS6 sounds with classical music. Remember how I disliked IER-Z1R, paired with RS6, well the issue is only mostly to do with poorly recorded albums. I find the pairing to be too honest, but one thing I noticed that I did not notice in P6, the bass extension on Z1R is far deeper on RS6 compared to P6.

I just wish I had the treble detail of P6 with everything else on RS6. Will Romi audio modding magic can improve on RS6?

Oct 20, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #838 of 3,181
I've loving how RS6 sounds with classical music. Remember how I disliked IER-Z1R, paired with RS6, well the issue is only mostly to do with poorly recorded albums. I find the pairing to be too honest, but one thing I noticed that I did not notice in P6, the bass extension on Z1R is far deeper on RS6 compared to P6.

I just wish I had the treble detail of P6 with everything else on RS6. Will Romi audio modding magic can improve on RS6?
I agree, the RS6 elevates bass quite significantly compared to the R8, for example. At the cost of some air and treble finesse, so soundstage is slightly reduced.

Oct 20, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #839 of 3,181
I hope I like the Mest MKII combination because I always feel like it could use a tiny extra sparkle up top and it doesn’t look like the RS6 will do that from the comments here. Like I’ve mentioned previously, I like the DX160 with the Mest. The R6 2020 I like also but I’ve felt that the Dx160 sounds better than the R6 2020 with the Mests for my liking..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back